Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    465

    Default Suprise character tom strong to be upcoming the terrifics series

    https://www.newsarama.com/36759-dc-s...se-return.html
    I wonder what this could mean what does everyone else think.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Are we supposed to care?

  3. #3
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    41,615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Are we supposed to care?
    I've heard nothing but good things about his series .

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,601

    Default

    Gosh, I wonder what Alan Moore would say?

  5. #5
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Are we supposed to care?
    It's a character from a series of super critcally acclaimed books, so, yeah. Not a super big DC character, but a classic Wildstorm character nonetheless.

    Also another Superman of the Multiverse.

  6. #6
    Fantastic Member justinslot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Huh, I always thought he was a creator-owned character. (googles) I guess not!

    It's interesting how Gaiman maintains a measure of control over his corporate-owned characters but Moore never bothers to do so. If that's a fair read of the situation.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    With Gaiman it's a gentleman's agreement as opposed to actual contract. With Moore I figure they've already burned those bridges so they might as well.

  8. #8
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things about his series .
    Didn't know he even had one, thought he was one of those long dead pulp characters like Doc Savage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    It's a character from a series of super critcally acclaimed books, so, yeah. Not a super big DC character, but a classic Wildstorm character nonetheless.
    Thats kinda like saying he's a superstar in Ghana and Togo.

  9. #9
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    I've got to respectfully disagree. He's a character created by Alan Moore who ran for several successful series and gets the periodic miniseries still. I think the last one was just last year, and if I'm not mistaken, had Doc Shaner on it as well.

  10. #10
    Incredible Member The Odd Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Gosh, I wonder what Alan Moore would say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Are we supposed to care?
    Bahahahaha!

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,924

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Didn't know he even had one, thought he was one of those long dead pulp characters like Doc Savage.
    That's kind of the premise of his old series, that he was an adventure hero in the vein of those old school heroes. The first issue had a make believe essay about his non-existent publication history. And some of the early issues had parodies of golden age/silver age comic book covers.

  12. #12
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    14,924

    Default

    Still, I'm a little surprised. When Alan was doing the ABC Line, he wouldn't even let DC put ads for other DC superheroes in them.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,503

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    I've got to respectfully disagree. He's a character created by Alan Moore who ran for several successful series and gets the periodic miniseries still. I think the last one was just last year, and if I'm not mistaken, had Doc Shaner on it as well.
    Saying he has several successful series is a contradiction unless dealing with a set mini or limited series, he either had one successful series that went on, or he had several failed series that people tried to relaunch several times without the public taking it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's kind of the premise of his old series, that he was an adventure hero in the vein of those old school heroes. The first issue had a make believe essay about his non-existent publication history. And some of the early issues had parodies of golden age/silver age comic book covers.
    So his appeal is that he's obsolete even before he's arrived?

  14. #14
    Mighty Member Jody Garland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,369

    Default

    I'm not 100% sure but I think his series were limited. There was the original Tom Strong series then the Tom Stron's Tales anthologies plus miniseries like the Terra Obscura. I don't think the character has ever had a full ongoing.

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,650

    Default

    Dang, guess I'm checking out The Terrifics now. While the motivation at the moment is obviously dicey, I'm totally okay with reviving the Strong family in this context, given they were intended as perpetually-ongoing characters in a larger superheroic world. God willing this means a Tom Strong ongoing in a couple years. Also, ABC was the biggest remaining large-scale superhero property DC could integrate into its main line but hadn't, right? Guess now it's all-in.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •