Default Han Solo's imperial career to become canon in new spin-off?

It's no secret that the Empire has a role to play in the Han Solo film; Ron Howard has tweeted pics from the set that show off one of the big helmets the guys working the consoles often wear (The "Death star troopers") and the latest pic of Thandie Newton shows her in a outfit that strongly looks like it has an Imperial emblem on the shoulder (although Ron's hand is partially covering it up), which is seen frequently with non-officer, non-Stormtrooper Imperial crew in the series.

One thing that comes to mind is Han Solo's background in the original EU as a short-term Imperial pilot; part of which was depicted in A.C Crispin's trilogy of Han novels-a career that is cut short when he frees Chewbacca. Han's Imperial career goes back further than the books though; I'm pretty sure it's actually Lucas's idea, going back to 1978 when he worked on some story notes for the characters to aid in merchandising; there's some other odd stuff in there-such as Han being raised by "Space gypsies" and herding giffare-like creatures. Lucas's version of him being expelled is a bit different-apparently he was cheating on exams and did unauthorized spaceship races. The EU had him graduate and remain until the Chewbacca inciddent. The story notes are kind of interesting-the old idea that C3PO is over a century old instead of built by Anakin is in there; as well as Palpatine working with trade and mining companies to become Emperor, although more through bribery than by deceit and war....and Leia having siblings on Alderaan!

It appears that there's some rumor that this part of Han's backstory will be incorporated into the film. Although most of the old EU is no longer canon, certain concepts and characters-Thrawn, for instance-have been re-worked and reintroduced into the current films/books/etc. alongside new creations. As for the story notes, Disney of course isn't beyond using material deleted or altered from the earlier films (Vader's castle, the design of the X-wings in TFA etc); in much the same way some of the concepts from earlier films made their way into the other sequels (For instance, Cloud City was originally going to be an Imperial prison where Leia was being held in the first film, twin-pod TIE fighters were also in some concept art as well
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Amazing Member

Honestly, I have never been as unexcited about a SW movie as I am about this one. I guess I don't feel that Han is that much of a mystery, even with the old EU swept aside. Maybe once I see a trailer...

It could be. Legends has been a source of inspiration for a lot of new materials.

I always liked that background for Han. (starting as an imperial and saving Chewie) It says a lot about the man, in the end he knows what's right.

Plus it's a great foundation to Han and Chewbacca decades long bromance.