Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Default Superman Villains who should be brought back from obscurity

I apologize if a thread like this has been done already.

Bloodsport (Alex Trent). Given the resurgence in people being openly white supremacist in the U.S., it only seems appropriate.

Kryptonite Man -- the version created by Kurt Busiek in Superman #650 (2006).

Baron Sunday -- I'm sure something creative can be done with him.

Kyber -- another Kurt Busiek creation. I thought he had potential.

Subjekt-17 -- see above.

Mr. Z -- has he even been seen since the early 1990s?

Thaddeus Killgrave -- a John Byrne "mad scientist" creation that nobody has ever done much with. He might be fun in the right hands.

Any others y'all like?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I really got the impression that Bloodthirst was a Weezy take on her own Apocalypse character, which became a massively popular character by then but far from her control. Anyway, Bloodthirst was really amusing as a take on the jack of all trades type of manipulator villain. I'd welcome a villain who brings humor. Killgrave was also kinda funny.

Mr. Z is a solid choice. Last I know was in Black Out, he lost his memory and got stuck on an island.

We had sort of an off brand Terra Man in Nimrod. I'd like good old Tobias back or the early post crisis version, but Nimrod is cool, too.

Dev Em was a big jerk and a very serious problem in Time and Time Again. Not that Superman needs more people to punch exactly, but I've always liked the history between Superman and Daxamites.

And as villains used elsewhere, I think it's time to bring in Amazo and Silver Banshee.

The writer/artist who could revive this guy would surely have the greatest creative powers of all:

Nuclear Man from SUPERMAN IV. Geez, I have no idea how he even could be re-used in today 's comics. But I would love to see someone give him an honest makeover.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Ugh, but you know, I prefer him to Ulysses and Wraith.

Give him the disguise name of Newt Keller and make him a parody of all the times Marvel tried their own Superman.

Conduit Not maybe that obscure but has lots of potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Ugh, but you know, I prefer him to Ulysses and Wraith.

Give him the disguise name of Newt Keller and make him a parody of all the times Marvel tried their own Superman.
    Dude, that is awesome!

I'll take it a step further: His name should be "Newt Kellerman". Say it fast.

He has no secret identity, just speaks in the third person using his full name almost exclusively. Make him a parody of mostly Marvel's Sentry (who is in fact based on S4's Nuclear Man in design at least) and also Marvel's Hyperion (any and all versions). Talking both in powers and attitude.

Give Newt Kellerman (I cannot stop saying that name very fast: Too fun! ) some aspect that approximates that Void thingee and show how Supes would find a way to win against him even with little-to-no PIS.
    Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-06-2017 at 12:45 PM.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Agreed with the white supremacist Bloodsport. I unfortunately think there's a lot you could do with him in the current political climate, and he'd be a good supporting player in the books right now with the whole "hope vs. cynicism" dynamic at play.

Also agreed about Conduit, but I wouldn't want him brought back. I think he'd lose impact beyond the initial Death of Clark Kent storyline. I was thrilled that he was featured in the lineup of rogues that Superman reflected on in the post-Reborn issues, and have always appreciated when he's been referenced (such as Kenny Braverman's appearance in Secret Origin and Man of Steel), but I definitely think he should be ruminated on more by Clark as one of his deadliest foes. Of course, should more importance be placed on him in the mythos and then some writer will one day want to actually resurrect him, so maybe the arrangement we have for him now is best.

Conduit. He could and should be one of Clark's more major threats.

I was always fond of Ignition--VERY cool look. Bring him back, give him some cool reality-warped history, and keep his original look.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Superman View Post
    Agreed with the white supremacist Bloodsport. I unfortunately think there's a lot you could do with him in the current political climate, and he'd be a good supporting player in the books right now with the whole "hope vs. cynicism" dynamic at play.

Also agreed about Conduit, but I wouldn't want him brought back. I think he'd lose impact beyond the initial Death of Clark Kent storyline. I was thrilled that he was featured in the lineup of rogues that Superman reflected on in the post-Reborn issues, and have always appreciated when he's been referenced (such as Kenny Braverman's appearance in Secret Origin and Man of Steel), but I definitely think he should be ruminated on more by Clark as one of his deadliest foes. Of course, should more importance be placed on him in the mythos and then some writer will one day want to actually resurrect him, so maybe the arrangement we have for him now is best.
    Another point about Conduit is that he had the impact he had because he knew Clark. A consistent character with that knowledge and the desire to actually use it wouldn't be sustainable for the character.

The only thing that might help would be if the kryptonite taps into memories and he remembers, without it he forgets his time as Conduit and Clark's secret and is a much more sympathetic character. His body's early exposure to kryptonite could cause mood swings/etc and maybe they just thought he was a troubled kid, but kryptonite was the cause. Something like that.

Because for a character like that to work on a consistent basis, there needs to be a reset mechanism of some kind. That's why I was keen on Cyborg Superman needing the stone to stay the Cyborg, otherwise he reverts back to human.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'd like some brand new villains personally. The new 52 tried to make some new villains, to mostly underwhelming results, but Rebirth's stuck mostly to reusing classic villains. And they've done a good job with them, particularly Zod, Manchester Black and Mxy and semi-heroic Lex has been a treat, but I think we could use some new blood.

I don't know why, but I keep feeling like we're due a Parasite story...

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Conduit was dead last I knew. Then again, so was Ted Kord, so was Maxima, so was Jean Loring...

A revised version of Conduit might make for some good stories. Although I think having too many characters from Smallville in Clark's life can be a problem. (It didn't bug me in 1986 when John Byrne's new version of Luthor had no Smallville background.)

He was never really in the comics, but I would love to see Tempus from Lois and Clark enter the comics.

Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Astonishing Member

Purple Piledriver, the Kite-man of the Bronze Age Superverse