Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The oxymoron of Diana’s costume

Now there is a long battle of Diana ‘s costume. I do feel the shorts are a good balance. Now straps are fine but how is it many people battle to cover up but also leave her the same? Diana doesn’t come from a culture of going to battle cover up. Look at the Greeks or romans. They came up like most of the amazons. No topless of course . So how far should this whole thing be. Just get rid of her costume ? Despite many of her male superheroes covered up no one is saying the many others who aren’t to cover up

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Her costume is just fine. Especially now that it's based more off her movie costume.

Breastplate, battle skirt, boots. These are similar to what Grecian warriors wore. It fits with the culture from which she originates and it looks great.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

A hoplite.

Hoplite.jpg

Diana's outfit.

Wonder-Woman-concept-art-cover-DC-Rebirth.jpg

The image sizes are off, but anyway, Diana's outfit isn't all that different from what Hoplites wore. A few things, but fairly minor.

The present costume is very good. They made a costume which is like that of ancient warriors. Her costume reminds me of those Roman or Greek soldiers. Jackalope posted picture of a hoplite(Greek foot soldier). It would be wise to keep this costume forever. It is a very good costume.

The battle skirt is associated with ancient warriors by the people in general. We can thank the movies and shows for that including Superman's dad.

But i have to make an admission. I love the classic costume more. I see her as a superhero. She is considered an equal to Superman and does not need an armor.

Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-05-2017 at 11:42 PM.

I agree. The amazons follow a Greco-roman style so I don't get why people think that she needs more of a covering. If an artist draws it right there is no problem. Imean if you want a more better way it would be Darwyn Cook style

One of the similar things I do get when talking about the costume is that instead of an eagle or W it should be both. Like how Earth one did it.

Incredible Member

I don't mind the current costume for Wonder Woman's solo adventures, although I would prefer if instead of being a strapless bodice, her entire torso was covered (similar to Queen Hippolyta's armour in the Wonder Woman movie - the version without the eagle-shaped boob window).

I'd be open to seeing it "modernised" a little to show that Wonder Woman is embracing some of what man's world has to offer in terms of her superhero costume.

As always, it ultimately comes down to how Wonder Woman is drawn for me. I loved how Chiang drew Wonder Woman - her breasts were never spilling out of her bodice (and there was barely the hint of cleavage), her buttocks were never falling out of her shorts and she looked like a healthy, strong woman. Even in the current costume, artists can shorten the skirt, reduce the size / coverage of the bodice, etc. And, in fairness, even if she was wearing a full bodysuit like Superman, Batman and all of the male superheroes, there is still the risk that she would be drawn as though she was wearing body paint rather than actual clothing. So, even when wearing her classic costume, it really just comes down to how she is drawn.

Retired

Given the perfect weather conditions on Themyscira, the fact that it's an all-female society, and the athletic fitness of the Amazons, I think the most logical thing would be for them all to be nude. They really have no need of clothes. Certainly Wondy doesn't--she's virtually a goddess.

Obviously, her clothes are just optical illusions for the sake of prudish Americans. In reality, Diana is completely starkers.

BANNED

The level of how armoured Diana would and could be depends on two things:
    A) How much are you hanging onto the time period she is supposed to be in... as in will she only be using bronze age gear and materials.
    B) Or will you allow things to simply look like it's from the bronze age, but let the Amazons be using much more advanced stuff like iron or steel?

This seems perfectly fine for me as a kind of armor she might have:

Note: also you shouldn't pay too much attention to 300, the Spartans weren't so stupid they went into battle in nothing but a shield and loincloth, but the armor they tended to have was like everyone elses made of armor and not much of that survives being buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Given the perfect weather conditions on Themyscira, the fact that it's an all-female society, and the athletic fitness of the Amazons, I think the most logical thing would be for them all to be nude. They really have no need of clothes. Certainly Wondy doesn't--she's virtually a goddess.

Obviously, her clothes are just optical illusions for the sake of prudish Americans. In reality, Diana is completely starkers.
    What we don't know about the Amazons is that Hippolyta had to institute a law mandating everyone on Themyscira be clothed in public spaces save for bathhouses to get society going and stop ogling each other constantly

Well even when the amazons has advance technology they still had swords and spears. In Earth One they had guns and used them as reflex training. They didn’t have gullets more like laser guns

44B594D2-F1F8-41D5-BB34-AC639C9AE618.jpg

42135219-71B7-45B4-AB69-0314EA32F606.jpg

The amazons want both. So Earth One they still have swords . I would think the reason is where they came from and how far they come or maybe they just use it for spirt. Just look at the volume two,Swords. So it seems they don’t usually use guns to often in battle

2A7E0FFA-042D-4D2E-BA9F-42585DC9F5A7.jpg
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 10-06-2017 at 07:36 AM.

I think it makes sense for the amazons even if they have advance tech to use guns due to their training and how their culture works. They are one of the greatest warriors and fighter in Dc. They don’t need to use guns to defend an enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But i have to make an admission. I love the classic costume more. I see her as a superhero. She is considered an equal to Superman and does not need an armor.

I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But fashion is a language. And the swimsuit is saying all the wrong things to the people she's trying to reach.

This isn't me advocating for armor. This is me advocating for a supersuit more like Superman.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 10-06-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Retired

Gotta say there were times when the choices in fashion for Wonder Woman (and Supergirl and Robin) made more sense than the choices for Superman (and Batman and Aquaman).

Spectacular Member

[/QUOTE]

This. A thousand times, this.