View Poll Results: How many GL titles should DC be publishing every month?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hal Jordan & the GL Corps and Green Lanterns are perfectly fine.

24 39.34%
  • Four monthly GL titles

11 18.03%
  • Depends on the creative teams

19 31.15%
  • None of the above

7 11.48%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default GL fans: Which would prefer, 2 titles twice a month or 4 titles monthly?

DC seems to have learned its lesson from the disastrous expansion of the GL franchise during the waning days of the Geoff Johns era and pared the titles down considerably to the main Lanterns readers have always cared about, namely Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and, now, Simon & Jessica.

Thanks to their editorially-mandated quarantine away from the established GLs and League spotlight, the newbie Lanterns have distinguished themselves well-enough to be given a seat at the table, but would the GL franchise be better served now by spreading things out a little more equally among all the GLs?

Currently, Simon & Jessica appear at least 4 times a month in their own title and Justice League, while Hal, John, Guy & Kyle are sharing Hal Jordan & the Green Lantern Corps with the thousands of other alien GLs.

Given the title, HJ&GLCorps is kind of obligated to give Hal a lot to do, which leaves John, Guy & Kyle being given a rotating spotlight with what's left, and the various alien GLs like Kilowog, Salakk, and Arisia being given even less time to shine.

Wouldn't it make sense to split up the GL titles into four monthly titles, focusing on different pairs of characters, while still staying somewhat interconnected with each other, similar to how the Triangle era Superman comics worked?

Green Lanterns would continue to focus on Simon Baz & Jessica Cruz on Earth.

Green Lantern Corps would star Corps leader John Stewart and his point man, Hal Jordan.

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors would feature Guy Gardner & Kyle Rayner.

Tales of the Green Lantern Corps would be rotating stories featuring new and old alien members of the Corps across the galaxy.

This way, every Lantern gets their time to shine, rather than more than half of the GL comics being published on any given month being about either Hal, Simon or Jessica?
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 09-19-2017 at 01:30 AM.

The Green Lantern franchise is in a bad state at the moment. I could see one title being in the very low 30's to 20's, while the other is around the 40k range, but having both titles around that range isn't good at all.

The first thing that DC needs to do is come up with an idea of how to unite the fractured fanbase. Because right now it isn't working. Ethan Van Sciver already said it himself in the John Stewart thread that in order to get a more expansion on these books (and his case, he was specifically speaking about John Stewart getting his own book), would be to hope that Hal Jordan succeeds. Sorry, but no, I disagree with it and it's complete BS. You can't unite John fans that way. So of course they won't support it for obvious reasons. I do appreciate that Robert Venditti is trying to balance out characters that's crammed into the book, but the name of the title just doesn't do it for me.

But splitting into four books that are no longer coming out twice per month is a good idea and I have no problem with it. If it happens, especially if John gets equal treatment with Hal Jordan, I would support those titles with no problems.

Astonishing Member

Three would be a good number. That way it's six Earth Lanterns, plus the Corps, spread out over three titles. I've mentioned it before, but here's my pitch:
    Green Lanterns - Jess and Baz, with Kyle or Guy guest starring. Maybe Kyle, and he's the one in the Justice League (he was in the League as well)
    Green Lantern Corps - John leading the Corps. John headlines the title, with Guy being his adviser (what could possibly go wrong?)
    Green Lantern: New Frontiers - Hal and Kilowog out in a spaceship exploring the outer sectors. Basically Green Lantern: The Animated Series.

It's a win-win-win. Hal gets to go in a fan-favorite set-up that can also introduce the Interceptor, Aya and Razer into continuity officially. GLC goes back to not being four Earth Lanterns and the Corps. Green Lanterns gets a shake-up and it's a chance for the League roster to shake-up as well.

I think an epic oversized issue that covers many areas of the Green Lantern franchise could be fun. Like an 80 page, $10 issue filled with a couple stories about various characters, and then sometimes they can make the entire issue just one mega-story.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

I think the current set-up works. Honestly, the biggest thing I'd change is rename HJ&GLC to just Green Lantern Corps.
    I'm not totally happy with the creative teams, but rhey seem ro be popular, so I'd keep them.

Instead of having a third (and fourth) book, I'd rather have a cosmic team book that focused on non-GLs. Like an updated version of L.E.G.I.O.N. that handled threats outside the GLC's jurisdiction. I'd add Kyle as an undercover Lantern, going to places the lanterns weren't allowed (call him Omega Lantern again or Lost Lantern).
    I'd relaunch Adventure as that team's home:

IMG_0324.jpg

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post
    Three would be a good number. That way it's six Earth Lanterns, plus the Corps, spread out over three titles. I've mentioned it before, but here's my pitch:
    Green Lanterns - Jess and Baz, with Kyle or Guy guest starring. Maybe Kyle, and he's the one in the Justice League (he was in the League as well)
    Green Lantern Corps - John leading the Corps. John headlines the title, with Guy being his adviser (what could possibly go wrong?)
    Green Lantern: New Frontiers - Hal and Kilowog out in a spaceship exploring the outer sectors. Basically Green Lantern: The Animated Series.

It's a win-win-win. Hal gets to go in a fan-favorite set-up that can also introduce the Interceptor, Aya and Razer into continuity officially. GLC goes back to not being four Earth Lanterns and the Corps. Green Lanterns gets a shake-up and it's a chance for the League roster to shake-up as well.
    I think this is very do-able.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jbmasta View Post

I'd go with this, but with just a change to each:

- BOTH Guy and Kyle would be the occasional guest-starring mentors in Green Lanterns, continuing with their respective pupils, and while Kyle would take the spot with the main League, Guy would take one with the JLI.
    - In addition to talking with Guy as an advisor, each arc of John's book would have him working closely with 1-3 alien lanterns. Focus would remain on John, but fans of those characters deserve some love too.
    - Nothing needs to be changed about New Frontiers. Put Hal, Kiilowog, Razer and Aya on the Interceptor, and you get my money.

I think the current set up is perfect, so I would not change it. The interactions between the Earth Lanterns is part of the reason why I think HJatGLC is so great.

However, I do think the "Hal Jordan and the" part should be cropped from the name because the book focuses on all the Earth Lanterns.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I chose the "4 titles a month" option in the poll because I'd want a solo Hal title; how the others share the other three titles doesn't matter to me.

I think we could use maybe one or two more books to spread out the other Earth Lanterns so not everybody is stuck juggling screentime in one book.

I think you could definitely give Hal a solo book and then have John headline GLC like we did under Venditti/Van Jensen.

Simon and Jessica are obviously keeping their book.

The only question is what to do with Guy and Kyle, but I guess you could keep them in GLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we could use maybe one or two more books to spread out the other Earth Lanterns so not everybody is stuck juggling screentime in one book.

I think you could definitely give Hal a solo book and then have John headline GLC like we did under Venditti/Van Jensen.

Simon and Jessica are obviously keeping their book.

The only question is what to do with Guy and Kyle, but I guess you could keep them in GLC.
    That's the thing, no matter what, someone would end up playing a supporting role somewhere. If nothing else, the New 52 at least did give books to each of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    That's the thing, no matter what, someone would end up playing a supporting role somewhere. If nothing else, the New 52 at least did give books to each of the characters.
    I mean, ideally every Earth Lantern would get their own book (or Simon and Jessica just keep being a duo), but I don't think that's sustainable post-Johns right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    DC seems to have learned its lesson from the disastrous expansion of the GL franchise during the waning days of the Geoff Johns era and pared the titles down considerably to the main Lanterns readers have always cared about, namely Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and, now, Simon & Jessica.
    DC learns no lessons. How many Bat-themed books do we have?

Personally, I'd eat up 6 monthly titles. I can't get enough of this chit. Just don't make one of them about Larfleeze.

IMO, DC misfired when they set up their current alignment. If we're stuck with 2 books, then Simon and Jessica should be in the Corps and Hal should be in a solo book, on Earth, and also part of the JL. Hal has too many connections to Earth and the rest of the league to have him out in space playing Riker to John's Picard. Simon and Jessica are gateway characters. These are the ones new readers latch onto because they can see this new world of DC through their eyes. They should be the ones in space with the Corps learning about all the GL lore, because as they learn, we all learn. They are rookie lanterns in the dawn of a major reboot... why the fsck are they just left in their own little world? All these time travel Volthoom first guardian stories would fit perfectly with the Corps. And S&J are just useless in the JL. They bring nothing to the table there, but the JL book has its own issues.

Mostly though, I just want to get Jessica as far away from the Flash as possible.
    Save Ferris...

Incredible Member

I'd kill off Baz and move Hal over to Green Lanterns where he can take Jess under his wing.

And then relaunch the other book as just Green Lantern Corps.
    Last edited by SmokeMonster; 09-19-2017 at 10:21 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    I'd kill off Baz and move Hal over to that book to take Jess under his wing.
    Do you honestly think that would do ANYTHING but piss Simon and Jess fans off and turn them against Hal? More than likely resulting in Simon coming back and ending that status quo you'd like to see very quickly?