Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Higgs125

Default New To DC recommend any titles or runs ?

please mention the reading order too

I want to be able to read the major events, currently reading blackest night have my eye set on war of lanterns.
    Any recommendations will be appreciated

BANNED

The current major event going on at DC right now is Metal, which isn't worth your time IMO.

As far as what IS worth your time, my favorite book from DC coming out currently, without contest, is New Super-Man. It's not much connected to the greater DCU, but it's brilliant. If you want to see what a lot of our favorite titles and runs are, mine included, look at this thread: http://community.comicbookresources....rite-dc-series

Quote Originally Posted by Higgs125 View Post

I want to be able to read the major events, currently reading blackest night have my eye set on war of lanterns.
    What are your tastes?

I can only recommend *NOT* reading Amazons Attack.

Assam gives great recommendations and I agree with her more than I disagree , but I would recommend checking out Metal. The writer for Metal is Scott Snyder who wrote Batman during the new 52. I didn't read any of the new 52 and he is building off somethings that he hinted at during that run, but it is recapped in some of the earlier issues. I find it pretty fun, but like all things it is not everyone's cup of tea.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Events? Metal is going on right now.

If you have haven't read Crisis On Infinite Earths from the 80's, I highly recommend it. It's amazing.

Flashpoint is what set up the current DCU into the New 52 and now Rebirth.

Infinite Crisis is pretty good too.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Spectacular Member

-Green Lantern by Geoff Johns (and the other GL titles, like Green Lantern Corps), collected in omnibus form
    -JSA by Geoff Johns, collected in omnibus form
    -Flash by Geoff Johns issues 164-225, almost entirely collected in paperback
    -Superman for All Season by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    -Long Halloween, Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    -Aquaman by Geoff Johns (issues 1-25, collected in paperback)
    -DC The New Frontier by Darwyn Cooke
    -Batman:
    -Superman by Tomasi & Gleason (current ongoing)
    -Super Sons by Tomasi and Gleason (current ongoing)

The major event, as Assam said, is Metal. We disagree about its quality. I think it's brilliant and the consensus opinion has been much nearer my take than Assam's. It's very favorably reviewed by pretty much all reviewers and fans seem to love it a lot too. Even the tie-ins with the "Dark Knights" have been extra-great. This is a mega-event clearly created by a great lover of all things DC. And its scope is totally insane.

There's another major event book launching in November: Doomsday Clock by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. 12 issues, no tie-ins or crossovers. It concerns the major Rebirth storyline that's been going on for 2 years. The premise is that someone has stolen time from the DCU. Best to start with Rebirth Special #1 (which was a wonderful comic book) then come back here for recommendations on which titles to pick up to pick up on various stories Johns teased in the Special. The end of Rebirth Special is a BIG reveal. Doomsday Clock will be addressing that reveal.

There are about 5-8 major mysteries going on throughout the DCU since Rebirth and they're currently all being advanced in one book or another.

As for non-event books, here are my favorites in order:

1. (TIE) Batman by Tom King and Mister Miracle by Tom King - both as good as comic books get
    3. Deathstroke
    4. Wonder Woman (Rucka's run was great but just ended - Robinson's run seems pretty good so far, two issues in)
    5. Detective Comics (started very strong, lulled a little, very strong again)
    6. Green Lanterns by Humphries (his run is ending, can't vouch for the next run by Seeley)

Other major standouts to me are from the Young Animal line from DC. Each book in the line is good-to-great but my personal faves are Doom Patrol, BUG: Forager, and Shade the Changing Girl, in that order.

I also loved the recent mini Sixpack and Dogwelder.

Other DC books totally worth checking out, all of quality, to figure out which you like best and wish to continue with:

Action Comics
    Superman
    All-Star Batman (just ended)
    Aquaman
    Flash
    Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
    Titans
    Teen Titans
    Super Sons
    New Super-Man (I don't pick it up but it's quality)
    Green Arrow
    Red Hood and the Outlaws (much more fun that it has any business being)
    Nightwing

Books to avoid:

Both Justice League titles are really disappointing. Hope is on the way though as Priest (whose Deathstroke has been the consensus pick for best surprise of Rebirth) takes over the main Justice League book after just one more issue. Hitch's run has been brutally boring (great artist, deadly writer) and Orlando's JLA has been a hot mess.

Trinity: A Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman team-up book. Should be terrific fun. Is plodding and dull and confusing instead.

NOTE: There are people here that will passionately argue you should NEVER read Tom King. I'm the opposite and I'd just suggest you read him and draw your own conclusions. To me, he's the best writer in comics today. His Vision series for Marvel won the Eisner. His Mister Miracle is the best-reviewed book DC is publishing and that's not open to argument. It just is. They can't keep it in print; it's that good. As for his Batman, I've been obsessed with the character since I was 3, started comics around 4 or 5, am now 48, have never missed a Batman arc anywhere, and I regard King's version to be my absolute favorite of all time. Also worth noting that my favorite book of the entire year (and the one I expect will win awards for best single issue all year) was the Tom King/Lee Weeks Batman and Elmer Fudd Special. I am not even a little bit kidding.

But I'm not trying to push the books I love as being THE books to love; mileage will vary with any new reader on any book. Rather, I'm trying to give my opinions while leavening them with some background/conventional wisdom.

For example I find New Super-Man quite grating but I know I'm in the minority in that so I still recommended it to you. You might actually love it. I tried to recommend anything that hasn't been roundly panned and for good reason.

Hope it's a help.

MY TOP 5
    Green Lanterns (2016) with Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz
    Deathstroke.(2016). Villain comic.. Excellent Writer, Priest.
    New Super-Man... Funny comic and characters
    Red Hood Outlaws(2016).. Better and funnier than I imaginated. You will love Bizarro.
    Detective Comics.. The best of Batman in rebirth.. This run begins with Detective Comic 934

Teen Titans (2016)
    Robin son of Batman (2015).. If you want know more about the current Robin(member of Teen Titans), only 13 chapters(suspended for rebirth), Gleason of Superman was in this comic..
    Aquaman(2016) Is a good comic.. you can saw the previous run of 2011 if you want this..
    Nightwing(2016).. The adventures of the first Robin.
    Action Comics(2016).. Good.

NOT RECOMMENDED

Wonderwoman(2016)
    .. All things are now confusing.. Maybe in the future..
    Justice League(2016) and JL.America... As BatmanJones said maybe with Priest(of Deathstroke) the things change.. and I saw Justice League of America too and bad too..
    Batman (2016).. I am dissapointed with this comic now.. Sometimes is good another times very bad..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-12-2017 at 01:47 PM.

You'll find a lot of Tom King hating on this board. Much more than is reflected in reviews or sales. As a counterpoint to all the people that believe King is destroying Batman and hate his take, I offer the first line of the ign.com review of Mister Miracle, entitled "Is Mister Miracle DC's Best Comic?" Here is the first line from that review:

"It's hard to decide whether Batman or Mister Miracle qualifies as DC's best ongoing series. But either way, Tom King is truly king of the hill in the DC Universe right now."

So when you hear everyone talking about how off-base King's Batman is, maybe leaven that with my opinion as a lifelong Batman fan and the opinions of critics generally. According to them, it's AMAZING. I absolutely agree. Batman has NEVER been as good as he is under King's pen.

I don't mean to be dismissive of differing opinions but I really have to believe that people that are hating King's Batman don't seem to understand what he's going for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    You'll find a lot of Tom King hating on this board. Much more than is reflected in reviews or sales. As a counterpoint to all the people that believe King is destroying Batman and hate his take, I offer the first line of the ign.com review of Mister Miracle, entitled "Is Mister Miracle DC's Best Comic?" Here is the first line from that review:

"It's hard to decide whether Batman or Mister Miracle qualifies as DC's best ongoing series. But either way, Tom King is truly king of the hill in the DC Universe right now."

So when you hear everyone talking about how off-base King's Batman is, maybe leaven that with my opinion as a lifelong Batman fan and the opinions of critics generally. According to them, it's AMAZING. I absolutely agree. Batman has NEVER been as good as he is under King's pen.

I don't mean to be dismissive of differing opinions but I really have to believe that people that are hating King's Batman don't seem to understand what he's going for.
    Critics thought Lazarus Contract was brilliant, giving it 9's and 10's across the board. Generally, they'll do this for any event or title with a big name writer.

Feel free to make any arguments you want, but what critics say holds little merit, and being totally honest, trying to use them as an argument for why King's Batman is good and you're right about it definitely makes it seem like you are being dismissive of other opinions.

It totally depends on your tastes, but here are my usual recommendations:

For a total beginner, really begin with these:
    • Batman: Hush
    • All-Star Superman
    • Kingdom Come
    • The Return of Hal Jordan
    • The Flash: Born to Run
    • Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia
    • Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters

Then if you want to explore other characters:
    • Lobo: Portrait of a Bastich
    • Shazam! vol.1 (new52)
    • Animal Man by Grant Morrison
    • Saga of Swamp Thing by Alan Moore
    • Watchmen
    • Jack Kirby's The Fourth World

Then if you're interrested in a specific hero, vilain, or type of story please do tell !

For adult series (read the full series):
    • Transmetropolitan
    • Fable
    • 100 bullets
    • Preacher
    • Sandman by Neil Gaiman
    • Planetary
    • Hellblazer (not the new52)

Have fun, and tell us what you're looking for exactly.

Current run of Rebirth has several strong series going on.

First up, Superman Rebirth. He pops up in the end of Superman New52. To give some backstory; this is the Superman of pre-Flashpoint (the one in Blackest Night). He's married to Lois Lane and has a son named Jon. And Jon is a fun character.

Action Comics (I forget which issue Rebirth picked up in). It covers Superman's more extended family.

Super Sons. This series is about Damian Wayne Robin and Jon Kent Superboy going on fun adventures. In many aspects, its a lot like seeing kid versions of Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne. And over the course of this series, and their other crossovers, you see the two develop a similar friendship to the one their fathers share.

Red Hood and the Outlaws Rebirth. Unlike the New52 run, where Jason was given "sloppy seconds" in Starfire and Arsenal, Jason is now teamed up with a good version of Bizarro and Artemis of Bana-Mighdall (an Amazon offshoot). And oh boy, the feels and character interactions in this series on top notch. What's more, they quickly become a family.

Justice League of America. This was founded after the crossover event of "Justice League vs Suicide Squad". The biggest positive of this? Is that classic Lobo is back.

Trinity. This series begins with the revelation of the pre-Flashpoint Superman meeting Diana and Bruce at his home. From there, it goes on to explore their friendships and bring the three closer together.

Batman Rebirth. If you like BrucexSelina, well, you'll grow to like this series more and more as it goes through the various arcs.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Critics thought Lazarus Contract was brilliant, giving it 9's and 10's across the board. Generally, they'll do this for any event or title with a big name writer.

Feel free to make any arguments you want, but what critics say holds little merit, and being totally honest, trying to use them as an argument for why King's Batman is good and you're right about it definitely makes it seem like you are being dismissive of other opinions.
    You're a screenwriting student I think. If that's so get used to critics. I've been artistic director of a successful theatre for 25 years. They are a part of the life. And no one of them is really instructive but when there's a mass movement it's worth considering that maybe, just maybe, there's something there that (if you're not digging it) you're missing out on.

I go way out of my way to say that all responses to art are subjective and so they're all "correct." But, though I know this will be much more dismissive of differing opinions on this one here than before, I would be lying if I didn't say that I completely believe that those that aren't digging King's Batman aren't digging it because they don't understand it.

Working in theatre, and mostly gravitating toward absurdists and experimental writers, I'm used to work being ahead of its time and confounding critics and audiences alike. I'm reminded that the American premiere of Waiting for Godot, which theatre writers recently voted the most important play of the 20th century, had audiences walking out in droves and it was roundly panned by everyone as the dumbest thing they'd ever seen.

I think a lot about early responses to Beckett's groundbreaking work when I see people dismissing King's Batman. Because I know it's ahead of its time and I know that the main reason for any negative responses to it are the result of the writer being way out in front of his audience.

Tom King's Batman WILL be a legendary run. It just will be. You don't need to agree. No one does.

I referenced the critics to leaven the incredible number of people posting here that just don't understand what King's cooking. I thought it was important that OP knew that your strongly held position (which you never miss a chance to express just as I never miss the chance to express the opposite) understood that you are an incredibly prolific poster with tastes that are not common to most comic book readers.

How many people do you think have Puckett's Cassandra Cain Batgirl as their favorite storyline ever? I'd guess the answer is one: you.

The books you love are generally regarded to have been minor arcs. And you hate with a passion many stories that are roundly agreed upon as many of the best runs ever.

You're also a favorite poster of mine so I don't mean to be insulting, but OP should know that you have strange tastes so he doesn't mistake them for being anything like any other reader's.

And you're the only poster here that cares more about characters than creators, which is plain proof that your reasons for loving or hating a thing have nothing to do with the quality and everything to do with your peculiar tastes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Some stand alone, accessible reads. Outside of the main continuity:
    All-Star Superman
    Watchmen
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Wonder Woman: Earth One
    Batman: Arkham Asylum (get the anniversary edition with the script, as that script is an easier read than the main story with the at times unclear art)
    DC: the New Frontier
    Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?

Ongoing series/runs:
    The Sandman
    Alan Moore on Swamp Thing
    Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka Volumes 1-2
    JLA by Grant Morrison Volumes 1-4
    Batwoman by Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III
    The Flash by Geoff Johns Volumes 1-3
    Grayson Volumes 1-5
    Batman by Grant Morrison (Batman and Son Deluxe Edition, Batman: R.I.P, Time and the Batman, the Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman & Robin Volumes 1-3, Batman Incorporated, Batman Inc Volume 1: Demon Star, Batman Inc Volume 2: Gotham's Most Wanted)

Recent Stuff:
    Tom King on Batman
    Greg Rucka's second Wonder Woman run
    Tim Seeley on Nightwing
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 10-12-2017 at 04:43 PM.

BANNED

Okay... a lot to untangle here.

You're a screenwriting student I think. If that's so get used to critics. I've been artistic director of a successful theatre for 25 years. They are a part of the life. And no one of them is really instructive but when there's a mass movement it's worth considering that maybe, just maybe, there's something there that (if you're not digging it) you're missing out on.
    I don't disagree that critics serve a purpose and can sometimes be on the money. HOWEVER, the reason I used Lazarus Contract as an example is because it's an almost universally panned story by fans, and yet critics ate it up, with consistently high scores. And this isn't a one-time occurrence either; bad comics with a lot of hype behind them will still almost always get positive reviews. Of course, if you'd like to make a defense for why LC deserves all that praise, and why all the fans are just missing something, you're more than welcome to try.

I go way out of my way to say that all responses to art are subjective and so they're all "correct." But, though I know this will be much more dismissive of differing opinions on this one here than before, I would be lying if I didn't say that I completely believe that those that aren't digging King's Batman aren't digging it because they don't understand it.
    I could easily say the same thing of you and New Super-Man. And I'm sorry, your taste is not anymore refined than anyone elses.

Tom King's Batman WILL be a legendary run. It just will be. You don't need to agree. No one does.
    Hmmm. Stating something you have no actual idea about. Wonder if that's gonna become more common as I get through this.

I referenced the critics to leaven the incredible number of people posting here that just don't understand what King's cooking. I thought it was important that OP knew that your strongly held position (which you never miss a chance to express just as I never miss the chance to express the opposite) understood that you are an incredibly prolific poster with tastes that are not common to most comic book readers.
    Honestly, unforgivable use of Holly Robinson aside, I don't even dislike King's run that much and I'm not sure where you get the idea that I do. I just found it bland and the writing style unappealing to my personal taste.

How many people do you think have Puckett's Cassandra Cain Batgirl as their favorite storyline ever? I'd guess the answer is one: you.
    Wrong. Not sure you quite understand how large and passionate Cass's fanbase is. I can't count on my hands the number of people I know of who consider Cass their favorite superhero and Puckett's run their favorite in comics.

The books you love are generally regarded to have been minor arcs. And you hate with a passion many stories that are roundly agreed upon as many of the best runs ever.
    Really hope you're not referring to Identity Crisis, because you should understand by now that it's a pretty even love/hate split.

You're also a favorite poster of mine so I don't mean to be insulting
    We passed that stop awhile ago.

And you're the only poster here that cares more about characters than creators
    Again, you are wrong. While it's true that I follow characters rather than creators, I also hold equally strong opinions towards creators, and can discern what kind of writer I'd want for a certain character. I wouldn't be happy if a character I love got a solo book with a crap or unfitting creative team. Additionally, you are wrong once more, as I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way; not even close.

and everything to do with your peculiar tastes.
    EVERYONE'S tastes are unique. The way you're saying this, ALL of my recommendations and opinions should be taken with a special grain of salt.

which is plain proof that your reasons for loving or hating a thing have nothing to do with the quality
    Wow. Just straight up saying that, huh? But I mean, why wouldn't you? After all, I do nothing but speak well of books that have my favorite characters in them and speak ill of books that don't. Oh wait, no I don't, BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE RIDICULOUS! This entire post is insulting, but as a writer, it is offensive for me to be told that I don't care about quality! I can rip something to shreds that has my favorite characters in it and I can praise the Hell out of something that isn't necessarily for me. I can analyze but still overlook flaws in something, and I can see the high quality of something but still not enjoy it.

You are wrong about A LOT in this post, and almost all of your false claims can be traced back to my disagreeing with you on things. Please get off your high horse.
    Last edited by Assam; 10-12-2017 at 05:05 PM.