Default Ancient Nick Fury Sr. question (with equally ancient spoilers)

Reading the Marvel Handbook that covers the 80's era (the 60's and 70's ones were great, also, TONS of great Marvel lore)...the entry for The Deltites--LMD's who took over S.H.I.E.L.D--makes it seem as though they were in control since the beginning and were responsible for setting Nick up as Director. I'm also led to believe that most of what we read about Clay Quartermain--especially his time with the Hulk during the return of the grey Hulk--was not the real Clay, but an advanced LMD. The entry states that the head Deltite took notice of 'Nick Fury, then a CIA agent' and got him promoted to Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I'd vaguely heard of the Deltite storyarc but never realized it encompassed all of S.H.I.E.L.D and Fury's history since the 60's, assuming the entry is accurate (and why wouldn't it be). Am I understanding this correctly, that the 80's (for some reason I always assumed it was early 90's) Deltite storyarc retconned these LMD's into the past history that deeply?
    Last edited by Montressor; 10-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Reading the Marvel Handbook that covers the 80's era (the 60's and 70's ones were great, also, TONS of great Marvel lore)...the entry for The Deltites--LMD's who took over S.H.I.E.L.D--makes it seem as though they were in control since the beginning and were responsible for setting Nick up as Director. I'm also led to believe that most of what we read about Clay Quartermain--especially his time with the Hulk during the return of the grey Hulk--was not the real Clay, but an advanced LMD. The entry states that the head Deltite took notice of 'Nick Fury, then a CIA agent' and got him promoted to Director of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I'd vaguely heard of the Deltite storyarc but never realized it encompassed all of S.H.I.E.L.D and Fury's history since the 60's, assuming the entry is accurate (and why wouldn't it be). Am I understanding this correctly. that the 80's (for some reason I always assumed it was early 90's) Deltite storyarc retconned these LMD's into the past history that deeply?
    Ok, at least twice in my memory, SHIELD has always been run by LMDs. At least twice it has always been controlled by HYDRA, and once if not twice, it has always controlled HYDRA. I find it best to ignore SHIELD until they interfere with superheroics.

Oh--the entry also enlightened me to the fact that the entire conflict with Hydra at first was all false flag--the Deltites were running both organizations and staged the conflicts as a way of keeping Fury busy.

That seriously screws with a lot of older stories, I'd assume. I admit I DID love the reveal that Dum Dum died long ago and was a LMD all this time--it added a tragic tint to the end of Fury's story (and subsequent changeover into The Unseen, again, something only I seem to like).
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    Oh--the entry also enlightened me to the fact that the entire conflict with Hydra at first was all false flag--the Deltites were running both organizations and staged the conflicts as a way of keeping Fury busy.

That seriously screws with a lot of older stories, I'd assume. I admit I DID love the reveal that Dum Dum died long ago and was a LMD all this time--it added a tragic tint to the end of Fury's story (and subsequent changeover into The Unseen, again, something only I seem to like).
    Ralph Macchio didn't like that retcon either and edited a follow up one shot, "Fury" that essentially lands the Deltite affair with Strucker. Nice read. Explains SHIELD origin with its first director Rick Stoner. It's available at Marvel Unlimited.