View Poll Results: Should Black Wally Get A Name Change?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 65.77%
  • No

38 34.23%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Okay, you're talking about something different now. I was talking about the reactionary stance some fans have when their favorite characters are altered for the big and little screens, not about the other political/cultural reasons like the ones you just stated.

Let me state it this way: if the Ancient One had been a white male in the comics, there would have been no problems with Tilda Swinton's casting beyond the comic-book crowd, right?
    My apologies then.

True.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    But, overall, I'm just gonna agree to disagree.
    Yep, because this back-and-forth is getting us nowhere.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    My apologies then.

True.
    No need to apologize, but thank you, anyway.

North, South, or Best.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Mmhmm. And his dad didn't even raise him. He was a murderous criminal. No real reason to keep his name if it was his mom who raised him.
    Same logic as Marvel's Unstoppable Wasp. Nadia was announced as Nadia Pym. But in the final issue, having just overheard people talking about the fact that Hank Pym (who she believes is dead - he's really merged with the villain Ultron) once hit his second wife, Janet van Dyne, she decides to take her step-mother's surname instead of his.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No, no, no . . .
    It should be "Wally", "Wallie", and "Yllaw" (The Reverse-Wally!).
    Yllaw? Kinda weird that Where's Waldo's Odlaw isn't called that in the UK, since it's called Where's Wally here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    You can find most of it googling, the whole thing is online and easy to find.

But basically, Grant Morrison, Mark Millar (who was sort of a Grant's pupil back then), Mark Waid and Tom Peyer all came together and with a pitch to DC about modernizing Superman, who was not at his strongest moment, bringing back his most classic elements, expanding the line, etc. But this fell into the hands of whichever editor who understood it as those four guys trying to sabotage the then current Superman team, and this generated a shitstorm of epic proportions (I believe soimeone actually told Waid "he would never write Superman" because of this). That's when all those guys left DC for a while, Morrison went to do X-Men, Waid went to do something else, Millar went to become famous, etc.

Now, because of this, both Waid andMorrison became sort of persona non gratta at DC for a short period, and the Hypertime was their baby, and would be further defined and expanded in Hypercrisis, which was at an embryo state back then as I understand.

Now, when Grant and Mark came back to DC full on, the Multiverse was being brought back as well, so the Hypertime got redundant. By then, everything connected to it had already gone missing. Also, the decision to do away with Wally had been made, so there was no point in having an alternate Wally around.
    Waid's something else was also Marvel, wasn't it? His first Captain America run? He's currently working for both Marvel and Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    What are the chances of Miles starring in the next Spidey film (IOW, no Peter at all)? I wouldn't say impossible, but probably close to minuscule. Also, I was talking about supporting casts (for live-action purposes, Wally is part of Barry's). Starting superheroes are a different story, though, since we have quite a few legacy characters that fill the bill. In those cases, it would make damn good sense to use them before changing the racial identity of a character.
    Actually, Miles IS starring in the next Spider-Man movie, it's out next year. It's a cartoon, though, so distinct from the MCU series starring Tom Holland as Peter Parker. Homecoming did have a deleted scene where Aaron Davis mentions someone called Miles (his nephew, in the comics).

At this point I think it would be weird for Wally II to get a name change just to make it easier for people to differentiate.

I imagine people might start calling him Kid Wally and just have it grate on the character when people do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Actually, Miles IS starring in the next Spider-Man movie, it's out next year. It's a cartoon, though, so distinct from the MCU series starring Tom Holland as Peter Parker. Homecoming did have a deleted scene where Aaron Davis mentions someone called Miles (his nephew, in the comics).
    I was referring to live-action only - animated movies are a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post
    At this point I think it would be weird for Wally II to get a name change just to make it easier for people to differentiate.

I imagine people might start calling him Kid Wally and just have it grate on the character when people do that.
    I do sort of like the idea of people eventually just calling him "Kid West......"

I imagine it'd annoy him to no end, and that'd just be a fun little character trait to add some spice to the mix.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I do sort of like the idea of people eventually just calling him "Kid West......"

I imagine it'd annoy him to no end, and that'd just be a fun little character trait to add some spice to the mix.
    Kid West does sound better than Kid Wally. lol

i think they can just keep it the same

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Oh. I like that. Got no problem with that....

If you have to resort to calling him a nickname or a shortened version of his name to differentiate him then I think just giving him a new name would work better. It seems like a much more streamlined solution than trying to find ways to work around calling him Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by Skedatz View Post

Why would it be weird? Lets say they decide to create a new Robin character that is black and his name is Richard Grayson too, or a new Wonder Girl character who is black and call her Donna Troy, while keeping the main Grayson and Donna characters around. That would be weird. If you basically do what they did with Wally to any other character that is what is bizarre. People would be scratching their heads.