View Poll Results: Should Black Wally Get A Name Change?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 65.77%
  • No

38 34.23%
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Should Black Wally West Get His Name Changed?

I'm sort of curious about how many people think black Wally should get a new name.

I think he needs a new name as having to characters with the same name in the same franchise isn't very well thought out, especially from a basic storytelling perspective.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Yes. Some kind of nickname or middle name or unveiled alternative origin or something.

Heh, this reminds me of having Peter and Miles together as Spider-Man in a cartoon .

Name him Joe, this way they still keep TV show connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Name him Joe, this way they still keep TV show connection.
    That would feel so weird though .

LOL most probably associate the name Wally West with the TV show^. And you don't need to add "Black" to know you are talking about him. ^
    Except with the comic fans.
    Let White Wally apparently Wallace Rudolph West, change his name to either Wallace or Rudolph.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-06-2017 at 03:40 PM.

Yes! Give him a different name or call him one of these:

Walter
    Wallace
    Will

He should not be called Wally. It's just weird at this point.

Edit: I also like the Joe/Joseph idea presented earlier.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 10-06-2017 at 02:43 PM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

I voted yes, but giving him a new nickname would also work. Just call him Ace West or something instead of Wally.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Maybe just shorten his name to a nickname like "Walls"?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Yes call him Black Wally because it reminds of the cartoon Sealab 2021 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

LOL most probably associate the name Wally West with the TV show^. And you don't need to add "Black" to know you are talking about him. ^
    Let White Wally apparently Wallace Rudolph West, change his name to either Wallace or Rudolph.

The Flash TV show could not have two speedsters with green eyes and reddish hair, hence the casting choice for TV Wally.
    Last edited by upgrayedd; 10-06-2017 at 04:23 PM.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Wallace West seems to be the best option. A teenager wanting to be taken seriously wouldn't want a name like "Wally" anyways. It keeps Johns original conceit for the two similarly named Wally Wests, but also gives readers, new & old, an easy way to distinguish between the two.

BANNED

How about he changes his name to Barry?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

I seriously doubt most people associate Wally West with the TV show version, and I needed to add "Black" so people know which one is being discussed. I could have added NuWally instead of black but that is kind of dumb as him being black is a very deliberate addition to the character and isn't some simple color palette swap for giggles.

The problem with DC keeping him called Wally West is that he will never replace the real Wally as the real one has 50+ years of history and is one of the most well known heroes DC has. They tried to replace the real Wally with him but no one liked that and they scraped it with Rebirth.

Also keeping the character named the same because of the TV show you run into problems once the show ends. 5 or 10 years after the Flash TV show ends are we sill going to have two different Wally Wests running around? The show has a very finite life and keeping a character based off a show like that will end badly for the character in the long run. To avoid that they need to make this black Wally character independent so he isn't just a memory from some CW TV show years down the road that DC doesn't know what to do with.

Then again, DC could just go ahead and kill off white red-headed Wally West and eliminate any confusion . . .

As to "black Wally West", in this continuity he did appear first; why should he have to change instead of "Johnny-come-lately-from-the-Speed-Force" red-headed Wally?