View Poll Results: Should Black Wally Get A Name Change?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 65.77%
  • No

38 34.23%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Wally, Wally Two and dark multiverse Wally
    Aaaaaand we may as well bring back Wallace West while we're at it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Most likely, but it's a moot point now.
    I just think it would have been far easier and more natural to have the Wally you and BA are talking about be the one emerging from the Speed Force at the beginning of Rebirth if that was the goal. They could have had Wally II be part of Kadabra's deception or whatever.

But once they invited people to get (more) attached to Wally II and brought Wally I back in his classic form, things become infinitely more problematic to do that with the fans and the stories being told. It's not like the two Wally scenario and TV show weren't known when they made the the decision to bring Wally I back as they did.

Personally, I'm okay with either the "Walter" or "Rudy" approaches, but I think that "Rudy" is more likely. "Walter" would have to be a straight up retcon, whereas one day he could just wake up and be like "Mom, Barry, everyone I know, call me Rudy, I think it sounds better than Wally and besides, family reunions are confusing enough as it is," because that's the kind of thing kids do sometimes. Granted, that also works with "Wallace", I just can't possibly think there's an American teenager on Earth who wants to be called Wallace.

Q9NQQi9.jpg

So I think "Rudy" is the best option for changing black Wally's name.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

He looks like a Jacob...Jacob West.

That settles it.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Personally, I'm okay with either the "Walter" or "Rudy" approaches, but I think that "Rudy" is more likely. "Walter" would have to be a straight up retcon, whereas one day he could just wake up and be like "Mom, Barry, everyone I know, call me Rudy, I think it sounds better than Wally and besides, family reunions are confusing enough as it is," because that's the kind of thing kids do sometimes. Granted, that also works with "Wallace", I just can't possibly think there's an American teenager on Earth who wants to be called Wallace.

Q9NQQi9.jpg

So I think "Rudy" is the best option for changing black Wally's name.
    But Rudy is original Wally's dad's name and his middle name.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rend20 View Post
    I just think it would have been far easier and more natural to have the Wally you and BA are talking about be the one emerging from the Speed Force at the beginning of Rebirth if that was the goal. They could have had Wally II be part of Kadabra's deception or whatever.

But once they invited people to get (more) attached to Wally II and brought Wally I back in his classic form, things become infinitely more problematic to do that with the fans and the stories being told. It's not like the two Wally scenario and TV show weren't known when they made the the decision to bring Wally I back as they did.
    Well, that's what happens when your superiors (WB) want you (DC management) to create a whole new universe right away. Some things didn't pan out the way they wanted and possibly now they want to fix it (until they need to fix it yet again down the road, of course ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Wally, Wally Two and dark multiverse Wally
    No, no, no . . .
    It should be "Wally", "Wallie", and "Yllaw" (The Reverse-Wally!).

Astonishing Member

Wally should definitely keep his name. It's fine as is. Two Wally Wests aren't gonna blow anything up. They haven't in the past and won't in the future.

Besides, there would be so many things wrong of them if they were to change his name, on so many levels, including quite a bit of unfortunate implications. It would just be tacky. A lot of the people shouting for an arbitrary name change, including the person who made this thread, don't see that. Perhaps they simply can't.

Also, on another note, I can't help but feel that many, if not most or all, of those who want Wally with a different name want the name change for reasons quite a bit less genuine then they posit/imply.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

"Walter" wouldn't be a retcon. People can legally change their names. Wally (Flash III) could change his, because he thinks it's absurd for two speedsters to have literally the same name, and out of respect for Wally (Kid Flash).

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    "Walter" wouldn't be a retcon. People can legally change their names. Wally (Flash III) could change his, because he thinks it's absurd for two speedsters to have literally the same name, and out of respect for Wally (Kid Flash).
    But why should it be "Black Wally" that changes his name?
    I would think red-headed Wally would have been the more logical one to change his name because he's (supposedly) getting a bit of a fresh restart after being trapped in the Speed Force.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I would think red-headed Wally would have been the more logical one to change his name because he's (supposedly) getting a bit of a fresh restart after being trapped in the Speed Force.
    That's what I was saying. Wally West, the third Flash, the red-headed one, would change his name from "Wallace" to "Walter."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    So Wally I is going to legally change his name because he has a younger cousin who has the same name living halfway across the country?

At this point, I don't think there is any in-universe reason for either character to want to change their names.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Because black wally is not an iconic character in the DCU with countless memorable stories through the decades and a giant fanbase. He just isn't. He was created to replace that guy and it didn't work. His existence is a failure that screams redundancy. I don't hate the character himself, but the reasons are obvious. He has no distinct identity.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    He looks like a Jacob...Jacob West.

That settles it.
    North West.

One of these days someone is going to make a commercial parody of that Captain? Captain? Captain. Captain...Captain..Captain ad.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Ultimate Member

Because real Wally has 50+ years, Young Justice, Smallville and a TON of comics under his belt.

Because when that tv show ends-who is going to remember black wally played by a bad actor?

Because if black Wally is the one that makes the movie-to avoid the Diversity & Comics legion of wearing out DC over it-change his name. If you are going to sell him-he needs his OWN name not someone else's. Then again folks would have to put in some EFFORT to build him up beyond my Daddy is a villain and need to be saved by a white savoir trope.