Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Runaways

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I enjoyed this latest episode quite a bit. I agree with the weekly format hurting it - particularly since it's got a set day, but not a set time so it isn't really appointment viewing and there's no way to do a live commentary. That being said, this episode was a complete story that felt far more episodic. The threads we've seen are building on each other, but it's easy to say "this is the episode where X happens."
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Yes. Hulu is releasing this weekly which hurts. This was clearly made to be binged.
    I agree.

Didn't Handmaiden's Tale and Shut Eye come out in batches? This one a week is killing me.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Niffleheim

All your questions for the show/Marvel TV will be answered in an interview with the writers of Runaways The Writers Panel
    Last edited by Tofali; 12-07-2017 at 03:05 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Is this weeks episode bad?
    I just saw the latest episode. It was fantastic, the opinion of someone who said the adaptation is butchered is not to be listened to seriously. It is similar to someone saying Winter Soldier was butchered, you just nod silently at the sentiment and move on.

Episode 5 was great loved it.

Astonishing Member

They need to keep the pace of episode 5 for the rest of this and they would be fine. And obviously being able to binge it would help but I still think the earlier episodes were way too slowly paced and they could have tightened those up and even lost an episode in the first 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    I just saw the latest episode. It was fantastic, the opinion of someone who said the adaptation is butchered is not to be listened to seriously. It is similar to someone saying Winter Soldier was butchered, you just nod silently at the sentiment and move on.
    Wow way to attack me. As an adaptation of the comic storyline the winter soldier was crappy. As a movie it was damn good.

This is a shitty adaptation of the runaways comic book storyline.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Mighty Member

The latest was probably the best episode of the run so far. We finally put the focus firmly on the kids and run with it. The stuff with Alex and his dad was quite good, especially the last scene with their showdown. This was the first time that I felt like the extra focus on the parents payed off a bit.

It took me a minute to roll with the massive, massive changes they've made to Chase. All the other characters at least feel true in spirit to their comic book counterparts, but Chase is really a new character with a familiar name. Still, the material works well enough that I'm not complaining.

More like this and the series will be in good shape.

arggh

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    They have completely butchered this adaptation.
    Agreed. This show is so bad (I loved the comic), I joined this community just to have folks to commiserate with.

No one else I talk to online or in real life is watching it.

I'm really surprised to find several people here are enjoying it. I can't believe that anyone who complained about Iron Fist could enjoy this. The acting is so bad, but you can't tell if it's really the actors' fault or the amateurish dialogue. The action scenes are so weak, but even conventional scenes are staged poorly.

And with so many changes to the source material, I wonder why even bother with an adaptation? These aren't runaways. They're 90210 kids with superpowers. The angst doesn't register so much as the escapism. The comic had so many great story beats that are undermined by silly changes. Why did Molly need to be so old/big? Why do they just have a dinosaur in the basement for the kids to discover during their regular chores? I went into the show really hoping that they would still pull off the twist at the end of the comics' volume 3, because it was really clever, but the way they have set things up now, I'm hoping they don't because it would just seem cheap and dumb.
    Last edited by arggh; 12-11-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Staff of One better be a technology/magic hybrid because if not then I'm calling bullshit. The scenes of Karolina flying looked so bad. The green screen on it was embarrassing to watch.

I like that Chase and Nico started having doubts on exposing their parents. Having recently started connecting with their dad and mom respectively it's understandable they don't want to go through with it. In turn I'm getting annoyed with Alex's attitude towards his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The Staff of One better be a technology/magic hybrid because if not then I'm calling bullshit. The scenes of Karolina flying looked so bad. The green screen on it was embarrassing to watch.

I like that Chase and Nico started having doubts on exposing their parents. Having recently started connecting with their dad and mom respectively it's understandable they don't want to go through with it. In turn I'm getting annoyed with Alex's attitude towards his dad.
    Alex attitude toward his dad is sort of undersramdable. Last week he got kidnapped because if his dad, end up shooting someone to protect his did, who his dad ended up murdering. That's a lot to process for a teenage kid in like a week.

Still, his attitude makes me wonder if they're going on a different direction with the character on the show than in the comic.

I think the focus on the parents is a needed change/addition so when they start turning on each other, it's not out of nowhere.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by arggh View Post
    Agreed. This show is so bad (I loved the comic), I joined this community just to have folks to commiserate with.

I'm really surprised to find several people here are enjoying it. I can't believe that anyone who complained about Iron Fist could enjoy this. The acting is so bad, but you can't tell if it's really the actors' fault or the amateurish dialogue. The action scenes are so weak, but even conventional scenes are staged poorly.

And with so many changes to the source material, I wonder why even bother with an adaptation? These aren't runaways. They're 90210 kids with superpowers. The angst doesn't register so much as the escapism. The comic had so many great story beats that are undermined by silly changes. Why did Molly need to be so old/big? Why do they just have a dinosaur in the basement for the kids to discover during their regular chores? I went into the show really hoping that they would still pull off the twist at the end of the comics' volume 3, because it was really clever, but the way they have set things up now, I'm hoping they don't because it would just seem cheap and dumb.

Im a big fan of the original Runaways, the twist in that series is a shock that i still remember well. I wouldnt say this show is bad, waste of potential as Iron Fist but i agree that changing the parent so much makes it not a good Runaways adaptation. I like the kids most of them. I like Alex, Nico together, all the kids are similar to their comic parts except Molly should be younger. The shame is its truly 9020 kids with superpowers instead of cool superhero version of Buffy. The parents personal life, them being maybe misunderstood and not evil group the kids has run from tainted the potential of this show. The twist would be truly stupid, dumb writing now.

I watch for the kids and hope for better teenage superhero story. Iron Fist was truly bad because Danny Rand, IF was so weak, lame written compared the comics and this show isnt that bad atleast.

Ok the Karolina/Nico scene just killed me. The gay is going strong. Overall, I liked the episode a lot. I like those parties with drama and all and on a series by the Gossip Girl showrunners of course that was gonna happen lol. I feel bad for Nico with the whole mess about her mom. I bet her password is Nico. The staff being explained as science though... Ugh...

Did I hear wrong or did Frank refer to one of the levels in the Gibborim as going "Ultron"? Ok sorry be said Ultra.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 12-12-2017 at 10:53 PM.