Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Runaways

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    I’m sure I’d enjoy this show more if I never read the comics. It sounds weird but I’m so busy mentally comparing the show to the comic the entire time I’m watching it because it’s so different. I feel like this is the most distant creative approach marvel has taken from the original character origins compared to anything they’ve done cinematically or tv and Netflix based. I wished it would have been more loyal to the show but I can see non readers enjoying it. The kids and parent adaptions are just too changed for my enjoyment but I’ll keep watching.
    I'm actually hoping the show deviates from the comic (even though I liked the comic), just so I can watch it without being spoiled. So far there are a good deal of differences but they work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Will Hatch View Post
    I'm just wondering why they didn't just adapt the first six issues of the comics. The first six issues were perfect for say a two hour movie, or two episodes of a mini-series. Why add all this other crap about high school and a dead sister and which parent is cheating on who that nobody cares about?
    I think the point is to get you to care about the parents more. Make it less about JUST the kids and more about the family.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeathGods View Post
    The wider audience is not nobody they are the main audience and since there has been a resurgence of prime time soap opera-esque kind of shows the "cheating" plays very well with a big chunk of the audience.
    You see, that was my main fear going into this series, that it would be turned into a soap opera. Runaways shouldn't be a soap opera. There are lots of dramatic moments in it, but the tone should be something that is more humorous or satirical. If anything, Runaways should be like the Marvel version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It should be a horror/comedy about the teenage protagonists dealing with the fact that their parents are these horrible monsters. All the stuff with them in high school and turning Molly into a completely different, emo character compared to her hyperactive comic book counterpart is stupid.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think the point is to get you to care about the parents more. Make it less about JUST the kids and more about the family.
    That could work for sure, but I don't think the series is written well enough to justify it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Pretty clearly what they're going for. Makes a certain degree of sense as well, since they seem married to the teen/family drama angle.

It makes for a pretty shitty adaptation of The Runaways, however.

If you didn't want to focus on the kids, you should never have adapted the property. This is the equivalent of doing a Fantastic Four movie that focuses almost entirely on the mailman.

It's not even a bad show, it's been quite entertaining. But it isn't Runaways. (At least, not yet.) It's The OC - MCU. We'll have to see if they go anywhere with the parents' plotlines that actually affect the kids, or if it's all just padding.

Have never read the series and having only seen the first episode I have to say, it's pretty drab so far.
    Hope it picks up some but I am not having high hopes.

They have completely butchered this adaptation.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Is this weeks episode bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I have to agree, at first they were going all right but after 5 episodes these kids haven't run away as yet. Atleast they started to use their powers this week, and are their parents trying to avert the destruction in the future or cause it.

Well, I found the latest episode pretty great. If you don't bother with them not running away yet, it was just a pretty good episode overaall. The scenes with them together using them powers and talking about it are super nice. The whole plot with Alex's dad was good too. And I'm glad we got some moments of Karolina and Nico.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    Pretty clearly what they're going for. Makes a certain degree of sense as well, since they seem married to the teen/family drama angle.

It makes for a pretty shitty adaptation of The Runaways, however.

If you didn't want to focus on the kids, you should never have adapted the property. This is the equivalent of doing a Fantastic Four movie that focuses almost entirely on the mailman.

It's not even a bad show, it's been quite entertaining. But it isn't Runaways. (At least, not yet.) It's The OC - MCU. We'll have to see if they go anywhere with the parents' plotlines that actually affect the kids, or if it's all just padding.
    Honestly I think focusing on the parents is smart.

If we got a strict translation of the conic, how many seasons of this show can they make? How much of the later arcs in the book could they even use?

Having the entire first season build up to them actually running away IMO makes sense.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I thought this week's episode was great. Love the stuff with Jeffrey and his past. I did wonder how someone with a murder rep managed to be successful in real estate.

It was cool to see Chase and his dad bonding.

They didn't run away till the midway point of the first arc, came back to save Molly, and fully ran away at the end of the first arc to the Hostel.

This show is 10 episodes, the first comic arc was 6 issues. Looks like the running away will begin soon.

I don't understand the complaining about "not running away yet" ... it didn't happen in the first issue either.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Is the show slow paced like say the Netflix stuff?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Is the show slow paced like say the Netflix stuff?
    Yes. Hulu is releasing this weekly which hurts. This was clearly made to be binged.