Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Runaways

My only complaint is Molly I know she was younger in the comics but I thought with the casting she'd be written older yet it's strange because at times she's written younger then she looks and it's jarring to me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The kids stuff was good this week but as a fan of the parents this was a really darn good episode.
    Yes, yes it was. I think it's clear for some people they wanted this show to be more like a cartoon version of the runaways, but this is even better than I imagined. The parents have FAR more depth and layers than the comic, I was even moved during one scene with them. Moved !!!!!!! Like seriously, wtf, I was not expecting that from a runaways show, and to see people act like this is trash....

You know what this reminds me of? A visit to the theater as a child. I wanted to see the movie contact, and I did, and loved it, and walking out of the theater I overheard some other person say they thought it was bad, too boring... that idiot was looking for another independence day and the movie Contact was simply beyond him.

I have to question the sustainability of the show as the parents are far more interesting than the kids. We all know the Pride storyline is going to end eventually, and when the kids finally run away I’m not sure how much they will focus on the parents.

Molly continues to be the weakest link for me. Her acting is not that great and she lacks the charm of her comics counterpart, and part of the reason for that is she’s too old.

I continue to question the judgment of the writers and creators of the show. The past couple episodes kept my interest but I keep feeling like this show could be better than it is.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I have to question the sustainability of the show as the parents are far more interesting than the kids. We all know the Pride storyline is going to end eventually, and when the kids finally run away I’m not sure how much they will focus on the parents.

Molly continues to be the weakest link for me. Her acting is not that great and she lacks the charm of her comics counterpart, and part of the reason for that is she’s too old.

I continue to question the judgment of the writers and creators of the show. The past couple episodes kept my interest but I keep feeling like this show could be better than it is.

I do think the parents have been portrayed with more depth than the kids, so I totally get people being more interested in the happenings of the parents over and above the kids. But I still like the kids. Alex was not some one note hostility parrot in the latest episode, there was some recognition after seeing the video of the sacrifice that the parents were not "happy" about doing the sacrifices and there was a genuine sense he wanted to know the "why" of what they were doing. Chase has shown plenty of conflicted emotions over his father, and I like where his character can go with his affinity for building cool/advanced tech.

I hope we get to see the tar pits. And I hope the negative nancies that have infested this thread are not the larger body of people watching the show, because if they are it is doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post

It will be a completely different show once the Pride issues are resolved ... I think that's part of the reason why they are in no rush to get there. I'll be interesting to see where they go season 2.

I'm enjoying the show so far, even though it's a bit slow at times.

I haven't read any Runaways books, so my knowledge of them is based on discussions here on CBR and from the Marvel Avengers Alliance game. In MAA, there were quite a few playable Runaways. Molly (an 11 year-old in the game), Nico, Chase (he was paired with Old Lace), Victor Mancha, and Karolina Dean. There were some other young characters that probably became Runaways.

Anyhoo, I am enjoying the series. I didn't expect the parents to take up so much plot. But it's building to the inevitable kids' running away. I don't understand the complaints about the acting. Seems spot on to me (Gert's dad is annoying as ****, like he's hamming it up way too much at times). And Julian McMahon's debut surprised me; I didn't expect to see him in the series. DOOM SHALL BE THE ULTIMATE VILLIANOUS CHAPERONE!!!!!!! LOL
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    But our tastes are so incompatible it's like you telling me Season 4 of agents of shield was bad, and ghost riders appearance was terrible there.
    Well I can't say that about Agents of Shield since I've only ever watched the pilot of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Well I can't say that about Agents of Shield since I've only ever watched the pilot of the show.
    IMO I felt some of the later Episodes of season 1 are ok mainly the Sif and Lorelei episode and then the episodes connected to Winter Soldier with the fall of Shield. Season 2 was ok for the most part and season 3 was pretty unwatchable to me. Season 4 was hands down their best season with Ghost Rider and the Framework storylines. The current season is pretty good so far IMO.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Molly not knowing what a VHS tape is made me feel real old.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's ok Grandpa, just find one of Al Ghuls pools and you'll have the last laugh on those whippersnappers.

I've seen kids who don't know what a DVD is...

Me to but this also made me feel old when I saw this once

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    I've seen kids who don't know what a DVD is...
    Oh good God....

Me to but this also made me feel old when I saw this once

If it makes you feel any better, I'm in my early 20's and I still used this trick all the time when I was a kid.

I do wonder if the TV show is essentially going to bypass the Alex heel turn we got in the comics. At this point Alex seems the MOST committed to taking down Pride. If anything, I have an easier time imagining Chase becoming a mole than him.

Though given all the stuff we're seeing with Nico's sister and Alex, maybe just maybe Alex knows more than he's letting on.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

My only complaint is Molly I know she was younger in the comics but I thought with the casting she'd be written older yet it's strange because at times she's written younger then she looks and it's jarring to me.
    She acts like a 14 year old. Frankly, she's often been more mature than the older kids.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I do wonder if the TV show is essentially going to bypass the Alex heel turn we got in the comics. At this point Alex seems the MOST committed to taking down Pride. If anything, I have an easier time imagining Chase becoming a mole than him.

Though given all the stuff we're seeing with Nico's sister and Alex, maybe just maybe Alex knows more than he's letting on.
    There's a part of me that's scared Alex is the male figure than confronts Amy. Wouldn't that be a twist? But yeah, I doubt they'll go that direction.

Frankly, the adults were always more exciting than the kids. In the books, they were even actual supervillains. But I'm still more interested in the kids, because these parents are truly horrible.

It's hard to remember now, but I think I recall my 9-year-old niece growing up with VHS hand-me-downs. Of course, these kids are all rich.
    Last edited by MyriVerse; 12-30-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier