Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Runaways

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I can't agree. It's a bargain basement family drama stealing the trappings of the Runaways. It is neither faithful to the characters, or the plot. And, considering I have found it to be an awful show, there's no way I'm ever going to agree with it being better than the comics.

I feel like I need a shower just thinking about it.

The acting is wooden. The plots are generic and cliche. The characters aren't given any kind of consistent personality beyond a few small ticks. And, most egregious of all, the parents are the heroes. The second season was marginally better than the first, it actually decided to spend some time with the kids. But still the overwhelming development is on the parents.

The only thing that got me remotely hyped in the back half of the season was the inclusion of a plot from the comics that I'd honestly believed they would avoid. But the more I think about it, the more I think I won't be back for a potential third season. I've given this show too long to try and find it's footing, and it just has no interest in keeping me as a viewer.

Especially disappointing given how strong the current comic run is. But at least I have Rowell's new issues to look forward to.
    That's alright, we don't have to agree, I personally find it to be far more entertaining than any other comic book show out there

Finished the season and marinated on it a little bit. Better than the first, but underwhelming after the first half.

spoilers:

The pacing in the first half was far better.

For the kids, I only liked Alex, Chase, and Molly. Chase had to stomach so much nagging with little appreciation for what he brought to the group. The only person he could actually chill around was Alex, who was out of the house most of the time. Alex was the only one being proactive and was treated like the villain. Alex hid details regarding Amy, and Nico cut him off cold. Karolina withholds meeting up with Jonah behind everyone's backs and that Jonah killed Amy, yet its all peaches and cream with Nico. Molly being proactive and becoming a vigilante was interesting. Its sad that the only reason for it was so a random dude in his late 20's could follow her home. I'm still not sure how that developed anything as Molly kind of took a backseat after dude died. Although I didn't like the other characters, I understand as its a teenager show and I was a teenager once. And these are 1%ers with powers so, I get it.

With the parents, they make it feel like a cheesy Disney show (which it is I guess). None of them feel menacing except for the Wilder's. Hell, it honestly felt like the parents and kids are just playing a big game of hide n' seek. If it wasn't for Alex dedication to sending his parents to jail, I would forget why the kids are running from the parents in the first place. It's also weird with the complete 180's some of the parents have made.

- Leslie goes from extremely selfish and not giving a damn about Karolina to being the only thing she cares about. She went from really interesting and couldn't predict what's going on in her head to one-note.
    - Frank goes from caring about his daughter and family to only caring about the church that he knows is fake.
    - Victor goes from being abusive and a bit crazy, to being a loving husband and father.
    - Janet, they spent a lot of time trying to fix their mistake of making her useless in the first season. They gave her a bit of development, but slowed down the plot quite a bit.
    - Side note, Robert is like the Mile O'Brian of the Runaways. How many times now have they faked/aborted his death card?

After Jonah died, the series took a huge dive.
    end of spoilers
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

It's not faithful at all. They didn't keep any of the parents the same.

Both Alex's parents were criminals in the comics
    Both nico's parents were witches
    Both karolina's parents are aliens
    Both Gerts parents are time travelers
    Both Chases parents are scientists/inventors.

Topher was a vampire

Chase was a moron
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post

Topher was a vampire

Chase was a moron
    Alex's parents are still criminals. His dad is an ex gangbanger and Alex's mom got the police in her pocket.

Karolina's biological dad is an alien

Chase's parents are still scicentists/inventors. His dad is a Tony Stark level genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Alex's parents are still criminals. His dad is an ex gangbanger and Alex's mom got the police in her pocket.

Karolina's biological dad is an alien

Chase's parents are still scicentists/inventors. His dad is a Tony Stark level genius.
    Alex's mom is a lawyer. Just a corrupt one. They are turning chases dad into a time traveler instead of gerts parents
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Alex's mom is a lawyer. Just a corrupt one. They are turning chases dad into a time traveler instead of gerts parents
    She's a criminal with a day job. Being a corrupt lawyer is far more effective than being a career criminal.

Chase's dad is far from becoming a time traveler. Co-inventing a machine that receives messages from the future isn't going to make him a legend of tomorrow.

Topher was a vampire

Chase was a moron
    That doesn't mean much. This is still a very faithful show. I don't think you realize how comicbook adaptations work, this is unusually faithful for a comicbook show.

Incredible Member

Up to the 4th episode now and I have to say, as much as I enjoyed the first season this one is much better so far.

Only thing that takes me out of it a bit is the spectacle of Chase being attracted and into Gert.

I'm sorry but that dude is a #$%^ing 9/10 and he's pining after a 3/4? The gap is so vast it takes you out of things a bit. I mean the guy looks like he just stepped out of an Abercrombie shoot.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Which was a wise move. With the exception of maybe Geoffrey Wilder, and Victor Stein the Pride weren't much more than one-dimensional archetypes. They loved their kids, but were terrible people/super villains. That was it. In the show they have more personality, and characterization than any creator on the books ever bothered to give them. I get not being fond of the show's amount of focus on the Pride, but as characters they are unquestionably more interesting/fleshed out than their comics counterparts.

The kids by, and large have been on point. It's thematically faithful more so that narratively, and the themes of the original comic hold up a lot more than the actual plot.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Up to the 4th episode now and I have to say, as much as I enjoyed the first season this one is much better so far.

Only thing that takes me out of it a bit is the spectacle of Chase being attracted and into Gert.

I'm sorry but that dude is a #$%^ing 9/10 and he's pining after a 3/4? The gap is so vast it takes you out of things a bit. I mean the guy looks like he just stepped out of an Abercrombie shoot.
    It's more like Gert dresses herself down. She was gorgeous in the school dance and the pride charity party last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    It's more like Gert dresses herself down. She was gorgeous in the school dance and the pride charity party last season.
    I think the Gert/Chase romance worked better in the comics because Chase was dumb as a rock. MCU Chase is smart. And they are adorable together!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

D@mn, I didn't see this thread before -.-

I don't like Deanoru at all. Polemic opinion (I'm so sorry):
    spoilers:
    It was too fast and non realistic in the first season. Karolina never revealed if she's lesbian or bi btw.
    Plus: Karolina's personality in the tv show doesn't match with Karolina of the comic book. Idk if we can blame Virginia or the script for that. And Nico had a better chemistry with Topher in that car scene than Karolina lol.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I didn't like:
    -The Xavin storyline. It was disappointing and even Ajiona Lexus (Levvie) could be a better Xavin. The actress as Xavin looks old.
    -The Jonah and his family bull$hit. It's like they don't have anything new to offer to us.
    -The parents. They're so awesome but they're still alive lol.
    -Frank Dean is such an *********
    -Alex trying to be a hero so hard. That was so annoying.
    end of spoilers

This season had a faster pace overall, which was nice. Though I though it lost a lot of momentum mid-way. In some ways I think a lot of the stuff that happened in the middle seemed like season finale stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    D@mn, I didn't see this thread before -.-

I don't like Deanoru at all. Polemic opinion (I'm so sorry):
    spoilers:
    It was too fast and non realistic in the first season. Karolina never revealed if she's lesbian or bi btw.
    Plus: Karolina's personality in the tv show doesn't match with Karolina of the comic book. Idk if we can blame Virginia or the script for that. And Nico had a better chemistry with Topher in that car scene than Karolina lol.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    I didn't like:
    -The Xavin storyline. It was disappointing and even Ajiona Lexus (Levvie) could be a better Xavin. The actress as Xavin looks old.
    -The Jonah and his family bull$hit. It's like they don't have anything new to offer to us.
    -The parents. They're so awesome but they're still alive lol.
    -Frank Dean is such an *********
    -Alex trying to be a hero so hard. That was so annoying.
    end of spoilers
    I don't like Karolina/Nico pairing neither. It feels like they needed to ship Karo with someone and they drew Nico for it. I'm still not sold on the relationship. I find it ridiculous that Nico is still with her knowing that Jonah killed Amy while she broke it off with Alex after he told her about the secrets Amy been hiding.

I don't like Karolina/Nico pairing neither. It feels like they needed to ship Karo with someone and they drew Nico for it. I'm still not sold on the relationship. I find it ridiculous that Nico is still with her knowing that Jonah killed Amy while she broke it off with Alex after he told her about the secrets Amy been hiding.
    I'm actually surprised that drama didn't blow up more. After the drama with Alex, I thought it would be a bigger deal than it actually ended up being. Both frankly have a lot of reason to be angry at the other. To a degree I suppose I can respect them being adult enough to forgive and move on, but it doesn't sell the drama of the relationship as well as it should have IMO.