Default For anyone who's read a lot of Golden Age Human Torch...

...was the fact that he's an android/artificial man mentioned ever, aside from his first appearance? I get my hands on random issues (reprints and scans, of course) and nothing I've read mentions it. I'm impressed and mildly puzzled that Carl Burgos made this character an android 'way back then, and I'm curious if it ever came up during any of the actual Golden Age stories.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

He was apparently also parodied rather early on in Centaur Comics' Man of War Comics #2 (January, 1942). Art by Martin Filchock.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    ...was the fact that he's an android/artificial man mentioned ever, aside from his first appearance? I get my hands on random issues (reprints and scans, of course) and nothing I've read mentions it. I'm impressed and mildly puzzled that Carl Burgos made this character an android 'way back then, and I'm curious if it ever came up during any of the actual Golden Age stories.
    I haven't read alot of Golden Age Torch, except when he interacts with Namor, but that was my impression also. Being an android is important in his origins, but after that it seems like it is rarely mentioned.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

how many trade paperbacks are there with golden age Torch comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how many trade paperbacks are there with golden age Torch comics?
    More than you think. They just released a big omnibus of Burgos Human Torch stories.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

i'm puzzled why the golden age Vision wasn't an android.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i'm puzzled why the golden age Vision wasn't an android.
    Because he was an aged alien, that's why. Weird question.
    Modern Vision is a reimagination on an older property. Much like Black Widow and even Patsy Walker to some extent to pick characters roughly in the same era.

Marvel did this a lot. Heck if you know any Marvel history then you know a number of the Monster & Alien concepts from their 50s books got repurposed, the Skulls being a big one.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Modern Vision is a reimagination on an older property. Much like Black Widow and even Patsy Walker to some extent to pick characters roughly in the same era.

Marvel did this a lot. Heck if you know any Marvel history then you know a number of the Monster & Alien concepts from their 50s books got repurposed, the Skulls being a big one.
    Skrulls weren't introduced until FF #2. Sure there were some retcon about some of the Atlas era aliens that turned out to be Skrulls, but that's not the same as say, Fin Fang Foom or Xemnu.

Grooooot!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post

wasn't a question. hindsight being 20/20, it makes no sense for the modern age Vision to look like the alien Vision but be made from Jim Hammond's android bod.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Montressor View Post
    i just finished reading every Golden Age appearance of Human Torch.
    no, outside of his origin (and retellings) it is never mentioned that Torch is an android. He regularly is knocked unconscious with gas or blows to the head. it is rather baffling.