Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Dan Slott on Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    I'm interested in hearing your take on what Storm solo would entail. Only problem is, I'm not sure that falls in line with the topic of this thread. Maybe when you offer up your take, I can determine whether or not you're worthy of writing the All-Goddess. Lmao
    does it need its own thread? I won't tell you the pitch but I will tell you what problems I'd address.

BANNED

Guggenheim shouldn’t be writing X-Men comics period. He has no respect for other characters outside of his own favourites (Kitty Pryde) and his current title, X-Men Gold, reads like fan fiction

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    does it need its own thread? I won't tell you the pitch but I will tell you what problems I'd address.
    It's cool you can share here. It will keep in line with the thread topic. What would be some of the things you'd fix with her character?

Lol your tone is a little off putting. But yes, it's been confirmed that she'll be getting another series sooner or later.
    Oh, that sounds very definite.

Do they at least have a writer or artist attached to this?
    A likely timeframe of when it may happen?

You should give it a try.
    Unless it's a stellar writer and artist . . . why?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oh, that sounds very definite.

Do they at least have a writer or artist attached to this?
    A likely timeframe of when it may happen?

Unless it's a stellar writer and artist . . . why?
    Ok. You're clearly interested in derailing this thread. Here you go...
    http://www.cbr.com/ta-nehisi-coates-marvel-storm/
    Do you care to let us get back on topic now?

It's cool you can share here. It will keep in line with the thread topic. What would be some of the things you'd fix with her character?
    Every hero needs their own rogues gallery.
    Every hero needs something that only THEY can solve.
    Every hero needs to have flaws that cause them trouble (and I don't mean the claustrophobia. something emotional or some social view).
    Every hero needs to be grounded in some understandable emotional reality so the reader can hook in.
    Every hero who carries a solo book must be the reader's eyes and ears (and hearts if at all possible).

Every well-written hero must, on occasion, make a choice their fans could NOT predict and which goes against what everyone thinks they know about the character (but only with a good explanation for why at the end).

Female heroes need not be saddled with a "love interest" any more than male heroes are.

A solo book about any hero should delve deeply into the hero's character in a way that couldn't be done as part of a team adventure or guesting in someone else's book. Like John Constantine, for instance.

My pitch for Storm would solve all these problems that I think her character currently lacks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Knight View Post
    Well, there are tons of writers that don't get my mnumerous faves, so I'll just concentrate on Iron Man.

1) First off, Gillen. He came into the character and wrote him as if he had only seen the MCU flicks. He had him make statements that contradicted previous established continuity, he gave him the blandest of RDJ-lite personalities, and his run was one of the most forgettable ones ever. To his credit, at least he didn't ruin him, he just wrote a boring Tony, but it's evident he didn't get him.

2) Then we have Jeph Loeb. Millar created a very interesting AU Tony over at Ultimates, and then Loeb came and destroyed everything. See, 1610 Stark was different. He was a Sexual Deviant, a Functioning Alcoholic, a Smart-Ass, and behaved exactly like a man with those traits would. He wasn't a bad guy, but he had none of those "humility factors" that they inject in protagonists to make them "sympathetic". It's a trope that I hate, but anyway. Ultimate Stark was pure adrenaline and testosterone, and I loved that. Come Ultimates 3, and he's a drunken mess that allowed his tech to be compromised by "Ultron", and who spends the whole mini being a moppy, moody little man. Loeb took a very interesting AU and completely ruined it.

3) And last, but not least, we have Bendis. The master of fucking things up. The unmistaken lord of destroying everything he touches. Where do I begin? From the tonal shift of Tony's character to a complete goofball? From putting him on GotG only to make a "haha, he can't satisfy Gamora" sex joke? From wasting 7 months and retconning his origins, while ignoring Arno, to basically make his parents... SHIELD Agents? Fucking SHIELD Agents? But nah, it all pales in front of the stupidity that is his Donut Steel, Ree-Ree. He made one of the most paranoid men in the universe give away his tech to a stranger! A stranger! Who's a kid! And that's not even getting into the absolute awfulness that is Ree-Ree as a character. Bendis destroyed decades of established continuity and character, so that he could add that worthless character to the Iron Man mythos. Oh, and here's a great panel, which screams "I totes watched the MCU movies brahs":

Attachment 55858
    (I can't even look at her stupid face)

There are so many Goddamn faults in that one panel that it's driving me nuts. The whole Bendis era needs to be nuked, and Ree-Ree needs to be forgotten, alongside the travesty that is Crossing Tony. Even Teen Tony was better than this. Heroes Reborn Tony blows the Bendis run out of the water, and sends it to Mars. It's that bad.

So, yeah, mostly Bendis. Most people would say Millar or Lobdell but nah, I actually found CW Tony good. It is Bendis!Tony, alone, that I abhor. I really hope the next writer retcons everything. I really, really do...
    Oh, wow... that a lot of information. I'll start out with the scan you provided. I can see how Riri would be off putting if you're an IM fan. Is there anyway that scene could have been reworked to get a satisfactory grade from you?

Mighty Member

Every hero needs to have flaws that cause them trouble (and I don't mean the claustrophobia. something emotional or some social view).
    Every hero needs to be grounded in some understandable emotional reality so the reader can hook in.
    Every hero who carries a solo book must be the reader's eyes and ears (and hearts if at all possible).

Every well-written hero must, on occasion, make a choice their fans could NOT predict and which goes against what everyone thinks they know about the character (but only with a good explanation for why at the end).

Female heroes need not be saddled with a "love interest" any more than male heroes are.

A solo book about any hero should delve deeply into the hero's character in a way that couldn't be done as part of a team adventure or guesting in someone else's book. Like John Constantine, for instance.

My pitch for Storm would solve all these problems that I think her character currently lacks.
    THANK YOU. I'm tired of Storm being paired with everyone!

Brian Bendis on GOTG omg he nearly destroyed that title.
    Keep him with urban heroes not cosmic characters.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Mighty Member

Jeff Loeb with "The Ultimates". He destroyed the team.

Jeff Loeb and Bendis with "Ultimatum". They destroyed the Ultimate universe for no good reasons and it never recovered.

Mark Waid with Avengers. There is one or two good issues, but for the most part, I don't feel the epicness that I associate with the avengers.

Charle Soule with Daredevil. I know that a lot of people like him, but for me his arc is the worst of the last ten years (I try to forget Shadowland)

Bendis with GOTG. He doesn't get get them. He is not a good fit for cosmic characters.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Mariko Tamaki on She-Hulk. I don't like what she has done with the character.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Namor'sWrath View Post
    THANK YOU. I'm tired of Storm being paired with everyone!
    Frankly, I would reduce all her LOVE matches to two. Forge and T'Challa. everyone else was just for fun without any deep emotional connection.

BANNED

I really like your pitch. I'm dying to know what flaws you'd play and avenues you would take to better ground her in reality. Care to share?

I would like to write a Storm solo but the problem for me is, even if Marvel took my pitch on it, half her fans would hate whatever i did. Not that I care too much about that, but it gets annoying being attacked for not fulfilling someone's One True Version of the character.

I agree she's been mostly ill-used over the years but, to make her a real vibrant solo character would mean defining a great deal about her that has been left undefined. As soon as we say yes to something in that mode we're saying no to something else. I don't envy any writer who takes ups that challenge.

It could be worth it, don't get me wrong, but MAN, you'd have be ready to walk through a [redacted] of negative commentary pretty much every moment you were on the book.
    Wouldn't that be a problem with anything written for a mainstream comic book franchise? People tend to have very strong opinions on stuff near and dear to them and the Internet allows us to easily share those opinions (which can be good when handled correctly) but also in a way that seems to bring out the worst in us.