Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Coates on Black Panther has been an utter train wreck as regards the mischaraterization of T'Challa and Wakanda.

David Walker on Nighthawk was a complete waste of a chance to explore am anti-hero dealing with highly complex social issues plaguing the USA as regards inner city decay and police corruption juxtaposed against a backdrop of utter human degradation.

Neither one of these writers should have been allowed around these characters.
    I knew Coates was a bad fit for T’Challa the minute I saw rape camps in Wakanda. Not to mention he goes out of his way to make Black Panther look like an incompetent bufoon in every issue that constantly needs his hand held by his supporting cast. Don’t even get me started on when he made the man get back with Storm even the damage had long since been done.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Well, let's stay on Storm.

My personal background involves living in Africa for several years and a third of my family being African. I myself am not African but my life has been rife with them. So some of what I'd bring to the book would be filtered through that experience. I would likely utilize "Storm as Goddess" for the first arc, showing how people thinking you're a deity when you're not is not something to encourage. Something tragic would happen to cause Ororo to rethink her positions on a lot of things (not DECIDE new things just, the a look at the things she's always believed to see if she still does). We would see her unleash some version of her "full power" in that arc and when it was done, no one would be calling her a goddess anymore, ever.

I'm willing to bet just this little paragraph of vague notions is enough to get a lot of people REALLY angry at me just for suggesting I MIGHT be thinking about doing Storm that way.

Now. Let's take Dr. Voodoo. Very few people know he exists and even fewer care. It's likely the company would give me a wide leeway in whatever I'd come with so long as he wasn't just "the Black Dr. Strange" (he wouldn't be). I'd do deep research on Voudoun. Probably head down to Louisiana for a few weeks and interview practitioner of the faith as well as Santoria and come home with some SUPER creepy, Gaiman-esque yarns to spin around the character.

No one is going to get mad. No one's going to say I'm "screwing up the character" because no one cares enough about him to muster the energy for all that.

And, no matter how well-written, or well-drawn, the book would likely die because too many modern fans seem to hate the New when it comes to Marvel comics.

So my choices here are- go for Storm and get ready for the barrage of abuse that will certainly come (with enough Hate readers to maybe keep the book alive) or go for Dr. Voodoo where I'd have nearly total freedom to do what I want with the book but which would probably not sell and be cancelled before the first arc was complete.

What would you choose?
    I'd choose the Storm story. But I'd be one of those angry Storm fans online. I'd be sure to deem you unfit to write the All-Goddess ever again. I'd be posting scans of Coates' portrayal of the Bright Lady, Hadari Yao, The All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of all Natural Things all over the review threads of every issue. But I'd still buy a Storm solo and petition for a new writer.

My personal background involves living in Africa for several years and a third of my family being African. I myself am not African but my life has been rife with them. So some of what I'd bring to the book would be filtered through that experience. I would likely utilize "Storm as Goddess" for the first arc, showing how people thinking you're a deity when you're not is not something to encourage. Something tragic would happen to cause Ororo to rethink her positions on a lot of things (not DECIDE new things just, the a look at the things she's always believed to see if she still does). We would see her unleash some version of her "full power" in that arc and when it was done, no one would be calling her a goddess anymore, ever.

I'm willing to bet just this little paragraph of vague notions is enough to get a lot of people REALLY angry at me just for suggesting I MIGHT be thinking about doing Storm that way.

Now. Let's take Dr. Voodoo. Very few people know he exists and even fewer care. It's likely the company would give me a wide leeway in whatever I'd come with so long as he wasn't just "the Black Dr. Strange" (he wouldn't be). I'd do deep research on Voudoun. Probably head down to Louisiana for a few weeks and interview practitioner of the faith as well as Santoria and come home with some SUPER creepy, Gaiman-esque yarns to spin around the character.

No one is going to get mad. No one's going to say I'm "screwing up the character" because no one cares enough about him to muster the energy for all that.

And, no matter how well-written, or well-drawn, the book would likely die because too many modern fans seem to hate the New when it comes to Marvel comics.

So my choices here are- go for Storm and get ready for the barrage of abuse that will certainly come (with enough Hate readers to maybe keep the book alive) or go for Dr. Voodoo where I'd have nearly total freedom to do what I want with the book but which would probably not sell and be cancelled before the first arc was complete.

What would you choose?
    I would say storm but then i realized i'm not that thick-skinned yet. If i was and fans were just hating me online rather than being abusive on social media or death threats then i'd just try to do the best i can with a title that can last a while. If it last a while and opens some doors to other projects then i could live with fans hating me in a forum.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-09-2017 at 05:36 PM.

What would you choose?
    Well, if it were me, I'd go with the Dr. Voodoo title. Since I'm not a big name comic book writer, a no-name title would be a way to build some trust within the consumer base. Then once everyone is saying "I didn't read Dr. Voodoo but I hear that Ascended dude knocked it outta the park and got mad skillz!!" I'd go after the big-name title and burn that goodwill to the ground.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

What would you choose?
    With you on writing duties, both.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    I'd choose the Storm story. But I'd be one of those angry Storm fans online. I'd be sure to deem you unfit to write the All-Goddess ever again. I'd be posting scans of Coates' portrayal of the Bright Lady, Hadari Yao, The All-Goddess who Preserves the Balance of all Natural Things all over the review threads of every issue. But I'd still buy a Storm solo and petition for a new writer.
    Well. As long as you give me a fair shot.

Is her being an alleged deity in Africa that "important" (or thought to be) to the character that messing with it would tick people off? (This's a character I'm not a fan of, so everything I know about her comes from the movies, and she sure didn't have godhood on her resume there!)

What would you choose?
    I think I myself would pick whichever one I wanted to work with the most and/or had the most interesting story opportunities. However, given that I don't care for either, I wouldn't really want to write for either character in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Is her being an alleged deity in Africa that "important" (or thought to be) to the character that messing with it would tick people off? (This's a character I'm not a fan of, so everything I know about her comes from the movies, and she sure didn't have godhood on her resume there!)
    Yep. To some of her fans for sure. How many? No clue.

I think I myself would pick whichever one I wanted to work with the most and/or had the most interesting story opportunities. However, given that I don't care for either, I wouldn't really want to write for either character in the first place.
    Well, these are just hypothetical questions used to illustrate some of how SOME writers might be thinking. I've been attacked by "fans" on nearly every comic I've written and even on some of the animation as well. "Fan" is short for "Fanatic," after all. Some days it's not worth the aggravation to step into the- er- storm when I can just write my own stuff and not be bothered.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Is her being an alleged deity in Africa that "important" (or thought to be) to the character that messing with it would tick people off? (This's a character I'm not a fan of, so everything I know about her comes from the movies, and she sure didn't have godhood on her resume there!)...
    To a bunch of Storm fans her being an actual for real deity is absolutely essential.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Probably head down to Louisiana for a few weeks and interview practitioner of the faith as well as Santoria and come home with some SUPER creepy, Gaiman-esque yarns to spin around the character.
    Dr Voodoo is Haitian, the culture you'd find would be very different. You could head to Jacmel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Dr Voodoo is Haitian, the culture you'd find would be very different. You could head to Jacmel.
    Oh. Even better. I know a bunch of Haitians.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    I must add Warren Ellis' name to the list of people who have disqualified themselves from ever writing Storm again. Check this out...https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/1...hread=64959137
    What in the whole, entire fuck? Like, seriously? How can comments like these or the out right prejudiced, borderline racist mindset go unchallenged? Let's put some things into context. In this arc, it is established that Storm convinced T'Challa to invest millions in the X-men. He was essentially bankrolling their entire movement for a time. Black Panther did this all because of the love he had for Storm. But how is he repaid? With slights at every turn? How is it even possible that Wolverine is allowed to express such a skewed view of the African continent without Storm calling him on his shit? She's saved countless lives all across Africa and she doesn't take issue with what seems like pure hypocrisy coming from Wolverine? It makes no sense that he'd be allowed shit all over MU African but he conveniently leaves out the fact that NO, the leader of the most advanced society 616 MU Earth. How are these things possible? Warren Ellis is banned from ever writing Storm again.
    Yeesh!

The Astonishing X-men scans bring back memories. I remember reading that panel and being horribly disturbed by it at the time.

I'm surprised no one really spoke out about it. Africa as a continent has a lot of problems but Ellis showed a lot of ignorance with Wolverine's diatribe.

Bendis and Loeb.

They simply don't have it anymore, and although Bendis has traditionally written a decent Namor, I'd rather not take the chance. Dude's written some of my favourites so poorly, I just don't want him anywhere near any more.

Loeb somehow managed to put an entire line of comics which I enjoyed to a slow and painful death and all it took him was 10 issues. So that explains itself.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Ultimate Member

Honestly, I'm not enjoying Aaron very much on Dr Strange.

She-Hulk definitely needs a new writer, that book is damn boring.

As much as I love Mark Waid's work, I think the Avengers needs a new writer.

Daniel Way should not be allowed to touch Deadpool with a 10 foot pole for reasons mentioned much earlier in this thread. Just brutal.

Double goes for Bendis on Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Coincidentally enough, both writers had pretty good first arcs on these books. Then shambles.

I'd also like it if Bendis never wrote Iceman again after that hamfisted excuse for a story. Love what Sina Grace is trying to do to clean it up, but what a freaking mess Bendis made.

As much as I love Rick Remender's work, his UXF is my all time favorite, I think he disqualified himself from ever writing Gambit when he called him useless and didn't see the appeal. Same goes for Morrison. And I don't ever want PAD writing him again after he basically blamed the failures of All-New X-Factor on the Cajun.