Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keith Giffen And Jeff Lemire Create A Brand-New ‘Inferior Five’, Set In The ’80s

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/10...inferior-five/

Giffen describes the book as 'Stranger Things meets Twin Peaks,' and it takes place after the 'Invasion' event in the late 80s.

This is certainly an intriguing idea. It's probably going to end up one of those Giffen series that last >12 issues, but at the end of the day, it'll hold up.

Slightly off topic, but when Lemire tweeted out a teaser pic of the 5 a few days ago, I was really hoping they'd show up in the Terrifics. I'm not sure why, but I think they'd be a fun contrast to that team.

A period piece? Colour me interested! I wonder if the Invasion storyline (with the mass awakening of dormant metagenes in the population and other fancy things) will play a role in the book. It could very well be, since it'd otherwise be weird to make the whole thing a period piece without playing with the themes of the wider DCU of those years.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

The Peacemaker backup story by Jeff Lemire sounds borderline mindblowing, but I think the premise of the Inferior Five revival by Keith Giffen sounds really weird, and not in a good way. One question that If it takes place in the eighties, and it is set after the Invasion, which was an event involving DC comics characters, does that mean that characters who took part in the Invasion event, the Justice League international, Doom Patrol, Superman, Wally West Flash, does that mean in the DC continuity, all of these character have been around since the eighties? It doesn't make any sense, because the Rebirth DC universe has officially been stated to have existed for ten years. Which would be Superman started his career in 2007. Despite the fact it makes no sense, I hope this '80s Inferior Five miniseries is in continuity and not some elseworlds story.

Oh lord, I was only kidding back in June when I said the Inferior Five would see a Rebirth before the JSA or Legion of Super-Heroes would!

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What are the chances they'll do a Rebirth of these guys first:

The Inferior Five
    JSA or Legion: Which Team Will Be Rebirthed First?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    This is certainly an intriguing idea. It's probably going to end up one of those Giffen series that last >12 issues, but at the end of the day, it'll hold up.
    I was at the panel where they talked about this (As well as the time Giffen smuggled a monkey over a border) and they said it's going to be a 12 issue series in the same vein as Mister Miracle.

Ha! It's like they looked at the fans and said, "You guys think this'll just last 12 issues!? Well, we'll *make* it just 12 issues!"

That's actually a pretty smart move. It prevents a premature cancellation, barring some crazy Great Ten sales numbers.

Has anyone said who the "five" will be?

This could be really fun. I also love how they're making it a maxi-series like Omega Men or Mister Miracle. Sometimes it's good to have one good. complete story instead of premature cancellation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post

Slightly off topic, but when Lemire tweeted out a teaser pic of the 5 a few days ago, I was really hoping they'd show up in the Terrifics. I'm not sure why, but I think they'd be a fun contrast to that team.
    Speaking of the terrifics, any word on when that’s coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Speaking of the terrifics, any word on when that’s coming out?
    Sounds like February. We've still got a decent while to go.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Really? There are about a thousand other books I can think of that DC could publish before this.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Retired

The original run of INFERIOR FIVE was only twelve issues and the last two issues were only reprints of their SHOWCASE try-out issues. So the promise of a new twelve issue run--and all from the same creative team--is more than an I5 fan could hope for.

However, in its day, INFIVE was like AMBUSH BUG in its prime--in that they both were contemporary with the comics they were mocking. If this new series is looking back on the '80s, that's an easy target for satire. Whereas a parody comic that is in tune with the direct currents of comic culture is a lot harder to do, yet so much more rewarding.

And Keith Giffen is at his best when he's challenging the sacred cows. There's no victory in tearing down the idols of the past. If they aren't offending today's fanboys and fan favourites, then they aren't doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Oh lord, I was only kidding back in June when I said the Inferior Five would see a Rebirth before the JSA or Legion of Super-Heroes would!
    We sometimes disagree on what we like in comics and I have always respected your knowledge and love for comics. But, as long as this is going to happen, a Giffen I5 is probably the best way to do it. You did call it, Major, my congratulations.

BANNED

Does this take place in Pre Zero Hour continuity?