Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    AngelGroveRadioPodcast powerpackers90's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Slott View Post
    Or why, if Wonder Woman and Guardians of the Galaxy were two of the highest grossing super hero movies in years, why those comics aren't in the Top 10.
    Or shows with *millions* of regular viewers-- like Supergirl, SHIELD, Jessica Jones, or Flash.
    Then cant you add your title to that thou too? Even Amazing Spider-man 2 made more money then the comics.
    Angel Grove Radio
    The "ALL NEW" Spider-Man's Tangled Web-Show ON YOUTUBE!!!!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    is it that crazy? i'm a casual reader and usually pick up books for an event or 1 arc that's of interest to me. i might get the odd stand alone issue, but generally my interest in superheroes isn't high enough to collect ongoing.

is there any data on how much of the comic buying audience is casual vs committed?

Well it's crazy to me at least I get that there are people out there who aren't what you'd call "Wednesday Warriors" but I just look at the strong showing for the Venom centric event & I'm just baffled that at least some of the people buying that event aren't at least giving the ongoing a look.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Looks like Ben's done at #12 then.

Even though the title isn't doing that great there's a number of other titles that are doing worse ( Iron Fist, Hulk/She-Hulk, Gwenpool, Generation X, etc) so it seems like Marvel is giving titles that under perform a slightly longer leash so I think they'll let the book go for a couple more issues past 12.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerpackers90 View Post
    Then cant you add your title to that thou too? Even Amazing Spider-man 2 made more money then the comics.
    Yes. When I said...
    There are really arbitrary fan assessments for when, why, and how a book is consistently performing in this marketplace.
    ...that's exactly what I was implying. Many here on the CBR Spidey sales threads regularly beat on that very unrealistic drum, yet somehow look past the other examples I gave. It's a silly metric to hold the Spider-Man comics to-- just as it would be equally silly to hold Supergirl, SHIELD, Jessica Jones, Flash, Wonder Woman, or Guardians of the Galaxy to it as well.

Yes. When I said...

...that's exactly what I was implying. Many here on the CBR Spidey sales threads regularly beat on that very unrealistic drum, yet somehow look past the other examples I gave. It's a silly metric to hold the Spider-Man comics to-- just as it would be equally silly to hold Supergirl, SHIELD, Jessica Jones, Flash, Wonder Woman, or Guardians of the Galaxy to it as well.
    It's not silly to compare Batman and Spider-Man. Batman might be slightly more popular overall, but Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular character. It should at least be reaching numbers slightly comparable to Batman.

In my opinion, Avengers and X-Men should be up there too. X-Men tends to come close to what ASM is doing on the charts, but Avengers is just ridiculously low.
    Valiant- X-O Manowar / Bloodshot Salvation / Ninja-K / Quantum and Woody! / Shadowman / Harbinger Wars II / Brittania
    DC- Justice League / Hal Jordan and the GLC / The Flash / Aquaman / Mera / Mister Miracle / Silencer / The Terrifics
    Other- The Walking Dead / Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Go Go Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post
    It's not silly to compare Batman and Spider-Man. Batman might be slightly more popular overall, but Spider-Man is Marvel's most popular character. It should at least be reaching numbers slightly comparable to Batman.

In my opinion, Avengers and X-Men should be up there too. X-Men tends to come close to what ASM is doing on the charts, but Avengers is just ridiculously low.
    I don't think it's that simple. Different types of characters, different numbers of series to their names, very different tastes in individuals who identify as part of the fanbases. Real life and business is not as linear as a computer program.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFerg714 View Post

I wouldn't name the X-Men in this (and, to be fair, Slott STOPPED naming the X-Men in this thread) because, rightly or wrongly, there's been a perception that Marvel has been downplaying the X-Men (and the FF), particuarly outside of comics. The comics division has been fighting this perception (which is why the Legacy one-shot's big return was Wolverine, while we also saw focus on Franklin and Val Richards. The two franchises comics fandom has said Marvel are diminishing? X-Men and Fantastic Four.) But only time will tell if they succeeded on this front.