Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Superman opinions you're disdainful towards.

I'll begin:

Superman only being allowed to be a dumb-meathead, never being allowed to demonstrate just how intelligent and smart he actually is.

Thanks Frank Miller.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

- "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do."

Nothing COMPLETELY misses the point of the character more. And it was staggeringly the status quo for two decades.

- Superman needs Lois/his parents/others to ground him.

No, he doesn't. In the first place, he belongs to the skies, literally and figuratively. Moreover, he isn't so mentally fragile that he constantly needs others to reaffirm his role on planet Earth, both as Superman and as Clark Kent. Even further, there's an interesting pathos to be had with the character that despite everything, he doesn't feel 100% fully embraced all the time. Feeling alone sometimes and dealing with that, successfully, is part of the charm as a character. He was never meant to have the best of both worlds on both sides of his identity. Now that he truly is the man who has everything, something is lost.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-08-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Lois somehow being the only thing that grounds Clark and helps him connect to mankind so he can protect them better, one of the things that set me off a lot. way to go ignore the fact that Superman was still raised by a married pair of human farmers from infant-hood.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 10-08-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Pull-List:

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Lois somehow being the only thing that grounds Clark and helps him connect to mankind so he can protect them better, one of the things that set me off a lot. way to go ignore the fact that Superman was still raised by a married pair of human farmers infant-hood.
    without lois he goes evil dictator y'know

back to topic the "my superman is the only true superman" or the "only classic is true" is annoying
    Last edited by Agniwolf; 10-08-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    without lois he goes evil dictator y'know

back to topic the "my superman is the only true superman" or the "only classic is true" is annoying
    No, he won't. Superman's nowhere near that fallible.
    Pull-List:

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    No, he won't. Superman's nowhere near that fallible.
    i think my sarcasm has just flew out of earth, let me edit my commentary and put a emoticon

The "who is the real Superman" argument.

The idea that he is perfect.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The notion that Clark Kent is the real identity and Superman is just something he does. Similarly, Superman is really who he is and Clark is all an act (that one isn't as bad since it doesn't get enough play). Much like the Bruce Wayne/Batman debate, I feel the truth is somewhere in between, and the character loses something if either half is neglected too long.

Superman is all muscle and no brains. His intellect is downplayed to prop up Batman in particular (despite not being that necessary, as Clark's intellect was more geared towards science and cleverness than solving mysteries), but I feel that his super science is downplayed as well so not to stop on the toes of other DCU scientists.

Sort of connected to the above, the idea that Superman relies so much on his strength that he can't strategize or fight worth **** if he is weakened or loses his powers.

Superman has a weakness towards magic. No, he just doesn't have a special immunity to it. Waving a wand at him on its own shouldn't do anything, particularly if he's smart enough to remember he has laser beam eyes and can zap it away.

Superman doesn't need to be the most powerful all around superhero because it makes the rest of the DC universe redundant. The DCU is an apocalyptic nightmare show 24/7, there is more than enough for everyone to do in stories big and small that makes them heroes of their own story. If Superman is pulling off some impossible feat over in Galaxy X, it has nothing to do with the Doom Patrol fighting the Brotherhood of Evil or Batgirl thwarting a bank robbery.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

"Batman can totally beat Superman with enough prep time!"

(Superman flies into space. Shoots Batman from space with heat vision)

"Prep time" is fanspeak for "I know your guy can beat my guy but I just want an out".

A close second would be the people who seem to think Superman would take their "side" in political debates. I remember the sh*t storm that ensued when he renounced his American citizenship saying he was a citizen of the world. As if he was doing the president's bidding before then or something.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm interested in various interpretations of the Superman/Clark duality using the multiverse, so I'm interested in takes like throwbacks where Clark is just a disguise and Superman is mostly just Superman, and in theory, yeah unlike some I'm also totally interested with takes where Clark's the guy and Superman's just what he does, Ala Byrne. Both can be very interesting when done right. There's no definitive way to go about it, that's why I find the Clark/ Supes duality more interesting than Bat/Bruce or Spidey/Pete. However I think the main guy in the main current canon should be a solid mix of both, maybe not even entirely sure which side he really leans too. It's more balanced and more to work with for whoever the main guy is. But like I said I'm also interested in different takes using the multiverse. Maybe one where Superman is like Roger the Alien and has multiple civilian identities.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 10-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Batman and Superman being uneasy allies making the most sense for their characters is something I loathe. They are best buds, always have been, and always will be. Bruce should be treating Clark with genuine friendship instead of the passive aggressive bitchiness he has in the past.

I dln't have a problem with the more vitriolic friendship that they had Post-Crisis, but i think that some writters really let that part go off the rails at some point.

The idea that Superman being a 'man of action' means he has to be blunt, fierce or aggressive unnecessarily towards criminals and the villains he fights. Misses the point of Superman's mercy as well as how much he has to hold himself back. And the view that Superman being thoughtful or introspective makes him a weak willed coward. That one really annoys me.

The no-kill-code. Its just problematic and not worth it. Fact of the matter is in the universe they created there are some threats that cannot just be stopped and properly jailed and/or rehabilitated. Its just not the case with everything. Its more than enough to just establish that Superman does everything in his power to avoid it. But that he can and understand that he might have to with certain entities. But he's so great that these situations do not actually present themselves with frequency.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The no-kill-code. Its just problematic and not worth it. Fact of the matter is in the universe they created there are some threats that cannot just be stopped and properly jailed and/or rehabilitated. Its just not the case with everything. Its more than enough to just establish that Superman does everything in his power to avoid it. But that he can and understand that he might have to with certain entities. But he's so great that these situations do not actually present themselves with frequency.
    This is why the Phantom Zone was created. Of course the flip side of that is that it's too easy to get out of. Can I add that to the list?
    Assassinate Putin!