Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Default Superman opinions you're disdainful towards.

I'll begin:

Superman only being allowed to be a dumb-meathead, never being allowed to demonstrate just how intelligent and smart he actually is.

Thanks Frank Miller.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

- "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do."

Nothing COMPLETELY misses the point of the character more. And it was staggeringly the status quo for two decades.

- Superman needs Lois/his parents/others to ground him.

No, he doesn't. In the first place, he belongs to the skies, literally and figuratively. Moreover, he isn't so mentally fragile that he constantly needs others to reaffirm his role on planet Earth, both as Superman and as Clark Kent. Even further, there's an interesting pathos to be had with the character that despite everything, he doesn't feel 100% fully embraced all the time. Feeling alone sometimes and dealing with that, successfully, is part of the charm as a character. He was never meant to have the best of both worlds on both sides of his identity. Now that he truly is the man who has everything, something is lost.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-08-2017 at 12:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Lois somehow being the only thing that grounds Clark and helps him connect to mankind so he can protect them better, one of the things that set me off a lot. way to go ignore the fact that Superman was still raised by a married pair of human farmers from infant-hood.
    Last edited by Netherman14; 10-08-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Pull-List:

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Lois somehow being the only thing that grounds Clark and helps him connect to mankind so he can protect them better, one of the things that set me off a lot. way to go ignore the fact that Superman was still raised by a married pair of human farmers infant-hood.
    without lois he goes evil dictator y'know

back to topic the "my superman is the only true superman" or the "only classic is true" is annoying
    Last edited by Agniwolf; 10-08-2017 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agniwolf View Post
    without lois he goes evil dictator y'know

back to topic the "my superman is the only true superman" or the "only classic is true" is annoying
    No, he won't. Superman's nowhere near that fallible.
    Pull-List:

No, he won't. Superman's nowhere near that fallible.
    i think my sarcasm has just flew out of earth, let me edit my commentary and put a emoticon

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The notion that Clark Kent is the real identity and Superman is just something he does. Similarly, Superman is really who he is and Clark is all an act (that one isn't as bad since it doesn't get enough play). Much like the Bruce Wayne/Batman debate, I feel the truth is somewhere in between, and the character loses something if either half is neglected too long.

Superman is all muscle and no brains. His intellect is downplayed to prop up Batman in particular (despite not being that necessary, as Clark's intellect was more geared towards science and cleverness than solving mysteries), but I feel that his super science is downplayed as well so not to stop on the toes of other DCU scientists.

Sort of connected to the above, the idea that Superman relies so much on his strength that he can't strategize or fight worth shit if he is weakened or loses his powers.

Superman has a weakness towards magic. No, he just doesn't have a special immunity to it. Waving a wand at him on its own shouldn't do anything, particularly if he's smart enough to remember he has laser beam eyes and can zap it away.

Superman doesn't need to be the most powerful all around superhero because it makes the rest of the DC universe redundant. The DCU is an apocalyptic nightmare show 24/7, there is more than enough for everyone to do in stories big and small that makes them heroes of their own story. If Superman is pulling off some impossible feat over in Galaxy X, it has nothing to do with the Doom Patrol fighting the Brotherhood of Evil or Batgirl thwarting a bank robbery.

BANNED

Saying he and Wonder Woman make a great couple because they're both "strong". Power and feats do not a match in heaven make.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Now that he truly is the man who has everything, something is lost.
    I find this opinion particularly disdainful.

The reason I have become a fan again is because he has everything...because the stakes have risen and he has more to potentially lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    - "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do."

Nothing COMPLETELY misses the point of the character more. And it was staggeringly the status quo for two decades.

- Superman needs Lois/his parents/others to ground him.

No, he doesn't. In the first place, he belongs to the skies, literally and figuratively. Moreover, he isn't so mentally fragile that he constantly needs others to reaffirm his role on planet Earth, both as Superman and as Clark Kent. Even further, there's an interesting pathos to be had with the character that despite everything, he doesn't feel 100% fully embraced all the time. Feeling alone sometimes and dealing with that, successfully, is part of the charm as a character. He was never meant to have the best of both worlds on both sides of his identity. Now that he truly is the man who has everything, something is lost.
    ^^^ Pretty much this took the words out of my mouth ^^^

Superman only being allowed to be a dumb-meathead, never being allowed to demonstrate just how intelligent and smart he actually is.
    That's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to Superman. It's why I've grown to HATE when he teams up with (or fights...ugh) Batman; whenever Superman is in a story together with Batman, writers will surely make Supes look like a big, dumb, flying brick just to emphasize how smart Batman is.

Astonishing Member

"Superman doesn't have any good villains except Luthor."

Personally, I think Superman has a great rogues gallery. And I love what a variety of enemies he has. He has mastermind villains (Luthor). He's got super-science villains (Metallo, Parasite). He's got alien villains (Braniac, Mongul, Maxima). He's got world-beater villains (Doomsday). He's got gimmick villains (Prankster, Toyman). He's got comedy villains (Mr. Mxyzptlk). I think it's kind of fitting that the prototype superhero should have supervillains of pretty much every type. But I think people just want all his enemies to be masterminds or world-beaters.

But then, I'm strange in that I don't particularly like some of his most popular villains. For example, I usually think a little bit of Lex Luthor goes a looong way.

He's really Clark Kent and Superman is just a role he plays.

While there is room for an in between, he is truly who he really is when he is Superman. The Clark that people see in public is mostly an act. Once Lois knows who he is, he acts normal around her in private. In other words, she sees his real Superman personality. Pa and Ma Kent in the privacy of their home when he was growing up saw his real personality. The Clark the world sees is mostly an act.

He's just a normal guy mentally, a bit smarter than average but nothing special.

He built the Fortress before the invention of the AI Jor-El in the late 1970s. He understood the functions of all it's artifacts. He was a master scientist. He has super intelligence. Batman is better at detective work but Superman is superior in a lot of ways mentally.

Likewise, he's just a guy who relies on his powers and gets his butt kicked without them. True he shouldn't be on Batman's level without powers but he is a Master of a number of martial arts including Kryptonian martial arts.

He is underconfident and constantly questioning himself.

He should question himself. He shouldn't think he is always right and not consider that someone else may be right and he's wrong. But that's different than being badly unsure of himself which is largely a product of the Post-Crisis Byrne era.

Superman is too powerful. Every other hero in the universe should be as powerful or more powerful.

This only seems to apply to Superman. No matter how ridiculous the Green Lanterns get in power, no matter how absurd the Flash gets, etc., it seems generally okay with people. I don't even think Superman should be the best at everything he can do. But he should be the most powerful overall.

He's a boy scout. Translation: He has no flaws.

He has many flaws. But, through a huge amount of his career, he realized how powerful he was compared to everyone else and his deepest fear was what would happen if he just decided to become a law onto himself. So he put absolute restraints on himself. He would obey the law except in regards to maintaining his secret identity. But he was in a unique situation where he realized that a being on his level of power cannot afford to indulge the sorts of weaknesses others can allow themselves.

The only "Real" Superman fans, the ones that really understand Superman, are only the ones who agree with me.

This is ironic considering my above statements. But we are talking about a fictional character and personal preferences. I have preferences but I hate it when people start into insulting people because they like a take on Superman that doesn't happen to be the one I like and grew up on.
    Power with Girl is better.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    He should question himself. He shouldn't think he is always right and not consider that someone else may be right and he's wrong. But that's different than being badly unsure of himself which is largely a product of the Post-Crisis Byrne era.
    In this regard I'd say Denny O'Neil is father and Geoff Johns is his successor.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    He's a boy scout. Translation: He has no flaws.

He has many flaws. But, through a huge amount of his career, he realized how powerful he was compared to everyone else and his deepest fear was what would happen if he just decided to become a law onto himself. So he put absolute restraints on himself. He would obey the law except in regards to maintaining his secret identity. But he was in a unique situation where he realized that a being on his level of power cannot afford to indulge the sorts of weaknesses others can allow themselves.
    When used right, the "big blue boy scout" thing IS a flaw.

It makes him predictable and easy to manipulate.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    When used right, the "big blue boy scout" thing IS a flaw.

It makes him predictable and easy to manipulate.
    I suppose I disdain the opinion that Superman should be easy to manipulate, except in specific ways like "Superman will always let Doomsday escape to save children from the burning house" or that kind of thing.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."