Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

When push comes to shove Clark will pick up a weapon to defend himself and others.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    But how do you take the second amendment too far? One of the founding fathers gave a very succinct summary of it's purpose. Noah Webster: "Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed."But in cases like that you don't bother trying to present both points of view equally.
    America has a pretty impressive standing military, and all the guns in the world aren't going to do you any good when a tank comes rolling up your front lawn. And that's not even taking off the kids gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Those depictions are intentional. He absolutely made Diana and Hal look just as "bad" on purpose, if anything just not understanding the deep level of offense taken to his work or not caring (he's from that generation of creators who didn't apologize for comics). To him it makes perfect sense that a Batman story set outside of continuity can throw other characters under the bus in ways that stories actually depending on how they're written would not.
    Oh yeah, absolutely. In a lot of ways the reason I'm most excited for "Superman Year One" or whatever they end up calling it is that Miller will finally tell a Superman story where our man's not jobbing to make Batman look good.

Not everyone gets that Miller only makes Superman look bad because it's a Batman story though. DKR was very influential to fans, and that unfortunately means that there's fans who think that critiques of Miller's Superman apply to Superman-in-General.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There's no telling how many people passed on Superman due to Miller. Well maybe I'd have a good idea if I knew much about Batman. But since that comic came out before the actual reboot, all people would have had to judge was the 15 years Julie and the gang poured into the titles. To write all that off for a ten page cameo and a "see, see?!" When Byrne made him vaguely republican is disappointing.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    America has a pretty impressive standing military, and all the guns in the world aren't going to do you any good when a tank comes rolling up your front lawn. And that's not even taking off the kids gloves.
    Yeah but they make intrusive raids, holding positions, and clean operations much more difficult. I'm in favor of more gun regulation but I understand and sympathize with the idea of deterrence.

Heh, that's not "ruling". That's obliterating.

A recurring theme in Superman is that those with the ability to make the world a better place should. It's kinda like that scene in Avengers where Loki is terrorizing people and an old man stands up and tells Loki to shut up. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing. Superman wants to create a world where he can sit back and listen to everything around him and not have a REASON to do anything.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I suppose I've grown distasteful of people who want Superman to be happy all the time and never doubtful of himself, almost as if people want the boy scout stereotype fulfilled, even though I love with Superman is warm and reassuring too. (This really just comes from lovers of the animated series hating on Cavill and calling for the Timmverse to replace the DCEU as if it's the end-all be-all of adaptations.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Heh, that's not "ruling". That's obliterating.

A recurring theme in Superman is that those with the ability to make the world a better place should. It's kinda like that scene in Avengers where Loki is terrorizing people and an old man stands up and tells Loki to shut up. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing. Superman wants to create a world where he can sit back and listen to everything around him and not have a REASON to do anything.
    I do not see the relevance...

BANNED

It's simple, Supes doesn't want to have a job. To him, the ideal world is one where the people don't need him to save them.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherman14 View Post
    Superman only being allowed to be a dumb-meathead, never being allowed to demonstrate just how intelligent and smart he actually is.
    That's my biggest pet peeve when it comes to Superman. It's why I've grown to HATE when he teams up with (or fights...ugh) Batman; whenever Superman is in a story together with Batman, writers will surely make Supes look like a big, dumb, flying brick just to emphasize how smart Batman is.

Astonishing Member

"Superman doesn't have any good villains except Luthor."

Personally, I think Superman has a great rogues gallery. And I love what a variety of enemies he has. He has mastermind villains (Luthor). He's got super-science villains (Metallo, Parasite). He's got alien villains (Braniac, Mongul, Maxima). He's got world-beater villains (Doomsday). He's got gimmick villains (Prankster, Toyman). He's got comedy villains (Mr. Mxyzptlk). I think it's kind of fitting that the prototype superhero should have supervillains of pretty much every type. But I think people just want all his enemies to be masterminds or world-beaters.

But then, I'm strange in that I don't particularly like some of his most popular villains. For example, I usually think a little bit of Lex Luthor goes a looong way.

Superman needs Lois to make him be grounded always hated it, will never agree and it makes no sense.

That batman can always beat him as long as he has a plan (Supes is lex luthor level smart)

The no kill code (lets be real supes is a realist as much as an idealist he knows he can't save everyone you mean to tell me he won't kill no matter what yea no)

The boy scout mild mannered all the time image (i know bill from kill bill gave a great analogy of this but come on man after all he has been through it doesn't need to stay constant)
    Last edited by Black Angel; 10-26-2017 at 05:04 PM.

Everything stated on this (admittedly beautifully drawn) image I now fiercely disdain:

Last edited by daBronzeBomma; 10-26-2017 at 08:04 PM.

Yeah that reads awful. I cherish the stories I grew up on from this era, but I lament that I grew up with this one botched aspect of his character, and had to discover his more classic characterization in regards to his feelings of his heritage much later on.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-26-2017 at 08:02 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El