Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Saying he and Wonder Woman make a great couple because they're both "strong". Power and feats do not a match in heaven make.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Now that he truly is the man who has everything, something is lost.
    I find this opinion particularly disdainful.

The reason I have become a fan again is because he has everything...because the stakes have risen and he has more to potentially lose.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This is why the Phantom Zone was created. Of course the flip side of that is that it's too easy to get out of. Can I add that to the list?
    Yeah, the ease of access to the Zone makes it lose its mystique. ESPECIALLY when its other franchises within the verse who can access it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The best Clark/Superman duality in my opinion was the George Reeves TV show. Clark Kent was basically just Superman in a suit. He didn't have a distinct personality so much as both acted like ordinary guys. This makes sense in that no one expects Clark to be Superman in the first place. Like Byrne said, why would he tell people he has a secret identity in the first place? In terms of his relationship with Batman, I can see them not getting along at first but ten years into the relationship and they still don't trust each other? That's just ridiculous. You don't found a superhero team with someone you don't trust. I can see Batman being Mr. Grumpypants but this idea that "one day Superman will snap and turn on humanity!" Yeah, no. I remember reading a Nightwing comic from the nineties where he talks about how Batman told him he could never fully trust Superman. And this was after they'd known each other for years! Come on! This is just creating fake tension for the sake of fake tension.
    Assassinate Putin!

The no-kill-code. Its just problematic and not worth it.
    This. It's especially ridiculous since Clark has a higher body count than most of his peers. I think only Hal, Diana, and Arthur can match how many people Clark has killed, and I think only Hal easily exceeds that number.

- "Clark is who I am, Superman is what I can do."

Nothing COMPLETELY misses the point of the character more. And it was staggeringly the status quo for two decades.

- Superman needs Lois/his parents/others to ground him.

No, he doesn't. In the first place, he belongs to the skies, literally and figuratively. Moreover, he isn't so mentally fragile that he constantly needs others to reaffirm his role on planet Earth, both as Superman and as Clark Kent.
    Also all of this. Though I'd argue that "Clark is who I am" started to diminish during the early 00's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    The "who is the real Superman" argument.

The idea that he is perfect.
    Oh, the "perfect" thing annoys me to no end! And honestly I hate that we're still arguing over which side of Clark is the "real" side.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, the ease of access to the Zone makes it lose its mystique. ESPECIALLY when its other franchises within the verse who can access it.
    But then they can't involve Harley Quinn in EVERYTHING! That contradicts DC policy!
    Assassinate Putin!

@Ascended
    The idea that he is perfect is a combination of his iconic status and the fact that his flaws aren't as obvious as other characters from the same media like Batman (sort of a control freak) or Spider-Man (kind of neurotic), so becuase that he come across as perfect to some people, he is honestky just as flawed as everyday people.
    My complain about "the real one" has more to do with the argumetns of the versions and who is more real than the other ones (pre-crisis, post-crisis, new 52, etc. When it comes to the "sides" of Clark/Superman, i think that both arguments has their merits, can and had been used well, but a better compromise would be let it more ambigous, or as SiegePerilous02 sugested, an in beetween answer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    @Ascended
    The idea that he is perfect is a combination of his iconic status and the fact that his flaws aren't as obvious as other characters from the same media like Batman (sort of a control freak) or Spider-Man (kind of neurotic), so becuase that he come across as perfect to some people, he is honestky just as flawed as everyday people.
    My complain about "the real one" has more to do with the argumetns of the versions and who is more real than the other ones (pre-crisis, post-crisis, new 52, etc. When it comes to the "sides" of Clark/Superman, i think that both arguments has their merits, can and had been used well, but a better compromise would be let it more ambigous, or as SiegePerilous02 sugested, an in beetween answer.
    Oh, I know where the "too perfect" argument comes from, I just dislike it.

And I agree that arguing about which era is better is silly. I've found great stories and bad stories in every era and every medium and format.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

"He's too hard to relate to."

Like, you're not really supposed to relate to him. You're supposed to admire him. Yes, comics reader, Clark/Superman is more moral and altruistic than you are. As he's intended to be.

The opinion of Superman that I'm most disdainful toward are the negative opinions.

I'd echo a lot of other things on this thread. I think a lot of the points here, though, are more about bad portrayals than anything else. I generally would say I don't like how a lot of writers insist on reductionist take on the character, trying to come up with simplistic cliches that describe the character as opposed to focusing on the nuance and complexity.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post

Like, you're not really supposed to relate to him. You're supposed to admire him. Yes, comics reader, Clark/Superman is more moral and altruistic than you are. As he's intended to be.
    If I could piggyback this a little bit I'd also say that you relate to him on certain things via an exaggerated scale.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'll second the whole "SuperxWonder" thing. "Oh, dey both reelee stwong! Perfect match! OTP!" just has always bugged me. The two being very good friends, I'm fine with. But dating or more? Come on! Both have their own entire franchises to work with, and Diana, when paired off with Superman, tends to get overshadowed. So them completely undoing that whole thing with Superman Reborn, I was quite happy with. Keep the Trinity as friends. Close friends, but friends nonetheless.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Disdain doesn't really register. The best thing for a piece of fiction is to live in our thoughts period.

That said, as someone who pores over Superman almost every night into the early hours, I do get disappointed by the version thing. Usually it's throwing one era under the bus, and usually it's the post crisis version. There's all sorts of preferences and that can't bother me, but there's also statements asserting so many things that the comics themselves specifically went against. Like Superman having a decreased standing among other heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post

As opposed to a guy who has the abilities of a spider. Or a guy who spent a decade learning every martial art there is. I can totally relate to that!
    Assassinate Putin!

@Kuwangaton
    I agreed with that sentiment, i know thqt the era wasn'r perfect and many users here has some valid reasons for their criticims, but reading it back, it honestly not that bad. Sure, maybe the emphasis in Clark being from the country was more pronounced, but this still was the same guy that saw the Sun-Eater in action during "Time and Time Again" and his first reaction was "i had to stop him", it that doesn't scream Superman, i don't know what it is.

Fantastic Member

Flippantly, that Post-Crisis is bad and that New 52 is good. Which often makes reading this forum a total pain.

More seriously, the idea that Superman is outdated or too difficult to write for.