View Poll Results: Is Dave Cockrum to be taken seriously?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I mean... he is her CREATOR

14 35.00%
  • Sigh

7 17.50%
  • All Storm fans are delusional

19 47.50%
  • Storm is not my favorite comic female, so I resent the implication

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

*sigh*

At least there's some self awareness in the OP.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't actually think ALL Storm's fans are delusional but that was the closest option to my opinion.
    Just dont mention the names. Lol

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    But your OP is not about the comic. It's mostly a fan appreciation style post lauding her character and probably should go in her appreciation thread.
    So I'm curious. Why do you think Victor von Doom has had more success with solo titles than Storm? The most recently concluded series got mostly high marks from online reviews. Yet I think Fox hasn't done well by either character in the movies.
    No. The OP is about her creator and what he envisioned for her to mean to comics in general? He specifically called her the "most POWERFUL woman in comics and the most beautiful woman in comics" that implies that he's valuing her at a higher level than just "greatest X-woman." So even though this thread is about Storm's standing within the MU, and all of comics, to be exact, its also about all other Marvel females in comparison to Storm, and how Dave Cockrum feels they stack up to his creation.

Quote Originally Posted by BBeeryan View Post
    What is your opinion on the matter?
    I don't think Dave Cockrum is Storm's biggest fanboy. And I also don't think that him saying Storm was created as the most powerful and beautiful character really means anything as of now. He didn't wrote her. He just designed her. Who's the most beautiful character is subjective to people's tastes. In his mind she's the most beautiful, but his word doesn't mean anyone else has to feel the same.

About her being more powerful... Yeah, maybe she was as of Giant Size X-Men but Claremont himself changed that when he made Jean Phoenix, and as of now plenty of other female characters have been created and established as more powerful than Storm. His opinions about her aren't exactly irrelevant as he did create her, but things on comics change all the time and we can hardly consider those as facts these days.

BANNED

I don't think Dave Cockrum is Storm's biggest fanboy. And I also don't think that him saying Storm was created as the most powerful and beautiful character really means anything as of now. He didn't wrote her. He just designed her. Who's the most beautiful character is subjective to people's tastes. In his mind she's the most beautiful, but his word doesn't mean anyone else has to feel the same.

About her being more powerful... Yeah, maybe she was as of Giant Size X-Men but Claremont himself changed that when he made Jean Phoenix, and as of now plenty of other female characters have been created and established as more powerful than Storm. His opinions about her aren't exactly irrelevant as he did create her, but things on comics change all the time and we can hardly consider those as facts these days.
    That's a very logical argument. One that I don't necessarily agree with. He created her powerset. She was initially intended to be an African Goddess. She was recently confirmed as being the All-Goddess, Hadari Yao, The Bright Lady, Goddess who preserves the balance of all Natural things. I think Dave Cockrum's initial design of her should be taken into account. Do you think Superman's creator's opinion is wholly without merit and irrelevant to the character's history?

As a Storm fan, *sigh*

BANNED

Lol why was this moved here? It's a conspiracy theory. The X-office really won't let her go!

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

That's a very logical argument. One that I don't necessarily agree with. He created her powerset. She was initially intended to be an African Goddess. She was recently confirmed as being the All-Goddess, Hadari Yao, The Bright Lady, Goddess who preserves the balance of all Natural things. I think Dave Cockrum's initial design of her should be taken into account. Do you think Superman's creator's opinion is wholly without merit and irrelevant to the character's history?
    She wasn't designed to be an African goddess. Storm was designed as a woman of the world who had racial features from all around to represent the diversity they were going for when creating the knew X-Men team. Her being praised as a goddess was because of her power and how the villagers nor her knew about mutants powers (later revealed they knew she wasn't and we're humoring her), the whole her being an actual goddess is a new development that wasn't even revealed from someone on the X-Office.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    She wasn't designed to be an African goddess. Storm was designed as a woman of the world who had racial features from all around to represent the diversity they were going for when creating the knew X-Men team. Her being praised as a goddess was because of her power and how the villagers nor her knew about mutants powers (later revealed they knew she wasn't and we're humoring her), the whole her being an actual goddess is a new development that wasn't even revealed from someone on the X-Office.
    I don't know what Storm stories you've been reading, but the bulk of this post is factually incorrect.

Bbeeryan, you got my coworkers giving me strange looks when I'm laughing at seeing this post on here. You weren't kidding when you said you can't help yourself, huh? You already know my opinion.

What I mean about that is that even if he planned for her powerset to be one that made her the most powerful woman in comics, that's not how things turned out to be when her powers were actually used on page, because that's not how Claremont and following writers wrote it. Superman being super OP as the creator intended actually became a thing and is now one huge aspect of his character. Storm though, obviously had/has the potential to be much stronger, but that's not how things ended up being...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Bbeeryan, you got my coworkers giving me strange looks when I'm laughing at seeing this post on here. You weren't kidding when you said you can't help yourself, huh? You already know my opinion.
    Lmao I truly cannot help myself. I just see so many positive things happening for Storm and my inner fanboy kicks into overdrive. It's a thing of wonder! So many of the things that I've wanted for years are finally happening for Storm. I'm trying to reign it in, but I'm honestly enjoying myself too much. I'm shameless, I know. I'm sorry, but I'm not sorry. Ctfu
    What I mean about that is that even if he planned for her powerset to be one that made her the most powerful woman in comics, that's not how things turned out to be when her powers were actually used on page, because that's not how Claremont and following writers wrote it. Superman being super OP as the creator intended actually became a thing and is now one huge aspect of his character. Storm though, obviously had/has the potential to be much stronger, but that's not how things ended up being...
    That's just it tho, Storm's powerset, as described by Claremont, gives her the power to see the world around her as pure energy and manipulate it as she sees fit. Coates just built upon that in BP #17. The stars are aligning.

Incredible Member Victorian_Soul's Avatar

I don't know what Storm stories you've been reading, but the bulk of this post is factually incorrect.
    An early idea was to give Storm many different features to resemble Gaia who had many different racial features because she was a woman of the world. Also it's the truth about why she was being praised as a goddess. Please tell me how that's incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Victorian_Soul View Post
    She was designed to be a true goddess as old as time. Until Claremont gave her parents. Talked a about in X-Men Companion.

BANNED

BBeeryan, keep it up, i really love your huge enthusiasm as a Storm fan currently. I hope it'll never go away.