Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Default METAL: I'm tired of Scott Snyder dumbing down the rest of the Justice League

Just got done with Metal #2 and overall I enjoyed it. But I have a major issue with the way some of the characters were treated. Scott Snyder continues to pump up Batman at the expense of the other members of JL. There is no way that Batman could out maneuver the Flash in a chase, for example. Or how the rest of the league gets to look so dumb when falling for his traps. Snyder pulled this crap in Endgame and he did it here and I think it's total bullsh1t. Batman is great. Period. But writers like Miller and Snyder need to stop stomping on the rest of DC to make him look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Just got done with Metal #2 and overall I enjoyed it. But I have a major issue with the way some of the characters were treated. Scott Snyder continues to pump up Batman at the expense of the other members of JL. There is no way that Batman could out maneuver the Flash in a chase, for example. Or how the rest of the league gets to look so dumb when falling for his traps. Snyder pulled this crap in Endgame and he did it here and I think it's total bullsh1t. Batman is great. Period. But writers like Miller and Snyder need to stop stomping on the rest of DC to make him look even better.
    Batman didn't outsmart the JL. He had about a year's head start on them and he out-planned them. That's his superpower. He beat the team by being 10 steps ahead of them. I think that's different than the Bat-God stuff people complain about. Batman's been working on this case for more than a year it seems. The Justice League just found out about it. Of course he has contingency plans in place that are capable of stalling them. That's what he does.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

That's what he does since Morrison and Waid wrote that terrible version of him is more like it.

BANNED

Sadly that's par of the course for DC these days, if Batman is the focus of anything, you can bet there will be metahumans who get rolled over.
    Anyways, Metal 2 isn't half bad in this regard, because ultimately all of Batman's tricks failed him and the League managed to beat him to his final objective.

This past month I feel the worse example is to be found in Gotham Resistance, where pretty much every metahuman from 2 teams get captured with ease while all the 'just human' Gothamites (and Green Arrow) manage to evade this and reach the center of the city.

"Prep-time" is bullcrap. Or I should amend that to its overuse has made it bullcrap. Its not a superpower, its just lazy writing at this point. And its not different than Batgod. Its the excuse used to channel Batgod.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-08-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Growing up, I really loved seeing Batman portrayed as a brilliant and intelligent and very capable human being who used his tactical skills and intellect as his superpower, but it's so overused and it's almost like no one can be better than Batman, and to suggest such a thing would be sacrilege. It's annoying. I don't mind Batman being awesome because he is awesome; however it's at the expense of other great characters who in a lot of aspects can be smarter and more skilled than him.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Batman didn't outsmart the JL. He had about a year's head start on them and he out-planned them. That's his superpower. He beat the team by being 10 steps ahead of them. I think that's different than the Bat-God stuff people complain about. Batman's been working on this case for more than a year it seems. The Justice League just found out about it. Of course he has contingency plans in place that are capable of stalling them. That's what he does.
    You are entitled to this POV but in my opinion, I think this POV is the problem. So what if he had a year's head start? Just take the Flash for example. The guy moves at the speed of light, which means he thinks at the speed of light. On top of that, he's in forensics, meaning he's a bit of a detective too. Superman is that not far behind Flash in speed of thought (well, he's far behind but way faster than Batman).

Also, how is it the Riddler can out-plan and be a few steps ahead of Batman in Batman's own title, but the second Batman steps out of his title he gets to be smarter and more clever than Luthor and the rest of the JL? It's just lazy.

The only way this happens is when an over zealous Batman fan is the writer---which is what Snyder is.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Ah yes, the infamous "Prep time."
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Incredible Member

Yeah, this is getting pretty ridiculous.

Also, Snyder is definitely writing himself into a corner - if Batman can beat (not just stalemate but conclusively have the upper hand, at least for a short period of time) every member of the Justice LEague, and the Dark Knights are each identical to Batman (confirmed by Superman), then how can the JL win against multiple Batmans, now each with a metahuman power? Now how does one good Batman's prep time beat a bunch of evil Batmans with both power and prep time?

As this is a Batman story, obviously he's gonna win somehow but it totally breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

Also, Snyder is definitely writing himself into a corner - if Batman can beat (not just stalemate but conclusively have the upper hand, at least for a short period of time) every member of the Justice LEague, and the Dark Knights are each identical to Batman (confirmed by Superman), then how can the JL win against multiple Batmans, now each with a metahuman power? Now how does one good Batman's prep time beat a bunch of evil Batmans with both power and prep time?

As this is a Batman story, obviously he's gonna win somehow but it totally breaks the suspension of disbelief for me.
    Think it's best to take Metal as an allegory to glam-metal (in particular, but other kinds of metal as well); inherently silly if you think about it, but still kinda cool.

Metal is just starting out so too soon to say how it will turn out. Maybe this time someone saves the world from Batman's mess.

Gotham Resistance I have no issues with the metas getting nerfed and benched. They weren't the focus and the series was overcrowded the 3 humans needed the page time and even they ran out of page time considering how rushed the ending seemed.

The ones to blame for Batgod isn't really the comic buying fans but the fans who write and edit the books. These writers do this is because they like Batman. They are fans and in their mind Batman beats all.

King and Tynion are Bat writers but their Batman is more human and fallible. Coincidence that both don't have Batman in their top 3 favourite comic character lists? I think not.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

He already wrote how they'll lose. They're vulnerable to the Metal...it's their kryptonite.