Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Default METAL: I'm tired of Scott Snyder dumbing down the rest of the Justice League

Just got done with Metal #2 and overall I enjoyed it. But I have a major issue with the way some of the characters were treated. Scott Snyder continues to pump up Batman at the expense of the other members of JL. There is no way that Batman could out maneuver the Flash in a chase, for example. Or how the rest of the league gets to look so dumb when falling for his traps. Snyder pulled this crap in Endgame and he did it here and I think it's total bullsh1t. Batman is great. Period. But writers like Miller and Snyder need to stop stomping on the rest of DC to make him look even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    Just got done with Metal #2 and overall I enjoyed it. But I have a major issue with the way some of the characters were treated. Scott Snyder continues to pump up Batman at the expense of the other members of JL. There is no way that Batman could out maneuver the Flash in a chase, for example. Or how the rest of the league gets to look so dumb when falling for his traps. Snyder pulled this crap in Endgame and he did it here and I think it's total bullsh1t. Batman is great. Period. But writers like Miller and Snyder need to stop stomping on the rest of DC to make him look even better.
    Batman didn't outsmart the JL. He had about a year's head start on them and he out-planned them. That's his superpower. He beat the team by being 10 steps ahead of them. I think that's different than the Bat-God stuff people complain about. Batman's been working on this case for more than a year it seems. The Justice League just found out about it. Of course he has contingency plans in place that are capable of stalling them. That's what he does.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

That's what he does since Morrison and Waid wrote that terrible version of him is more like it.

BANNED

Sadly that's par of the course for DC these days, if Batman is the focus of anything, you can bet there will be metahumans who get rolled over.
    Anyways, Metal 2 isn't half bad in this regard, because ultimately all of Batman's tricks failed him and the League managed to beat him to his final objective.

This past month I feel the worse example is to be found in Gotham Resistance, where pretty much every metahuman from 2 teams get captured with ease while all the 'just human' Gothamites (and Green Arrow) manage to evade this and reach the center of the city.

"Prep-time" is bullcrap. Or I should amend that to its overuse has made it bullcrap. Its not a superpower, its just lazy writing at this point. And its not different than Batgod. Its the excuse used to channel Batgod.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-08-2017 at 11:09 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Growing up, I really loved seeing Batman portrayed as a brilliant and intelligent and very capable human being who used his tactical skills and intellect as his superpower, but it's so overused and it's almost like no one can be better than Batman, and to suggest such a thing would be sacrilege. It's annoying. I don't mind Batman being awesome because he is awesome; however it's at the expense of other great characters who in a lot of aspects can be smarter and more skilled than him.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

You are tired of Snyder dumbing down the rest of JL, I'm tired of Snyder that's that.

I'll start off by first saying that I enjoyed Metal #2. However, I have to agree with the OP regarding Batman and his continued foiling of the league. It's becoming a tired trope, and I think I'm about ready to see the tables turned on ol' Brucey.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I'll start off by first saying that I enjoyed Metal #2. However, I have to agree with the OP regarding Batman and his continued foiling of the league. It's becoming a tired trope, and I think I'm about ready to see the tables turned on ol' Brucey.
    Lucky for us, Christopher Priest is set to take over writing Justice League... and first order of business is to have an overworked Batman make a big mistake.

Ultimate Member

I'm enjoying Metal but the OP has a point.

Metal has taken the "Batgod Force" and made it Multiversal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm enjoying Metal but the OP has a point.

Metal has taken the "Batgod Force" and made it Multiversal.
    The thought just struck me that Batman being somekind of multiversal entity isn't that different from how Morrison treats Superman... like for example in Final Crisis where only Superman can save everyone.

Batman’s prep time super power has been way overdone since the 90s. He’s become a freakin cartoon character with his ability to have plans and weapons for everything. It’s like Bugs Bunny’s ability to reach behind his back and instantly pull out dynamite, a mallet, etc. What happened in Metal still wasn’t as bad as Endgame when he took out the League in a few pages.

Mighty Member

Just because someone has powers doesn't mean that they can automatically defeat a non-powered person. Plenty of super powered people are of average intelligence with no mind for tactics, planning or strategy; where as individuals like Batman are masters of such things. Also there are plenty of regular humans in the DCU that routinely outwit, outsmart, out play and outright defeat super powered people. Lex Luthor and Amanda Waller do it using manipulation, tech and their own intellect. Batman does the same. So I see nothing wrong with Batman defeating the League or any powered person if he plans ahead. Everyone has weaknesses that can be exploited even superheroes.

BANNED

well there have been instances when wonder woman and superman have completely overwhelmed him or disparaged his abilities but in majority of cases it does seem as if he has their number.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Just because someone has powers doesn't mean that they can automatically defeat a non-powered person. Plenty of super powered people are of average intelligence with no mind for tactics, planning or strategy; where as individuals like Batman are masters of such things. Also there are plenty of regular humans in the DCU that routinely outwit, outsmart, out play and outright defeat super powered people. Lex Luthor and Amanda Waller do it using manipulation, tech and their own intellect. Batman does the same. So I see nothing wrong with Batman defeating the League or any powered person if he plans ahead. Everyone has weaknesses that can be exploited even superheroes.
    There's nothing wrong with that but I think DC has simply overused Bruce in "Batgod" mode.