Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Look, the most popular DC character isn't going to be a secondary player just because he doesn't have super powers. It's just not going to happen and anybody who thinks otherwise should avoid any management position at the company. Does that mean Batman should always win? Nope. Preferably, he should be able to force a stalemate or draw in the vast majority of encounters with the league, while besting or losing to them a very limited number of times.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Look, the most popular DC character isn't going to be a secondary player just because he doesn't have super powers. It's just not going to happen and anybody who thinks otherwise should avoid any management position at the company. Does that mean Batman should always win? Nope. Preferably, he should be able to force a stalemate or draw in the vast majority of encounters with the league, while besting or losing to them a very limited number of times.
    I was thinking it would be more reasonable if he could only pull off a win a limited number of times and otherwise loose so it doesn't look like something anyone can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I was thinking it would be more reasonable if he could only pull off a win a limited number of times and otherwise loose so it doesn't look like something anyone can do.
    I get your point, but does the average Batman fan (the biggest purchasers of DC magazines) want to see their favorite character losing the majority of the time? It's all a balancing act, IMO.

BANNED

I get your point, but does the average Batman fan (the biggest purchasers of DC magazines) want to see their favorite character losing the majority of the time? It's all a balancing act, IMO.
    This may sound egotistical of me, but why should non-bat fans like me have to see our favourites run into the ground like this?
    It's not even a sound business strategy for DC because it just puts more and more pressure on Batman to keep this up while lowers the value of other characters. Ideally it should be that every character is equally cool and viable.

I love Batman but his ability to beat everyone is ridiculous. It's how you get Hishe's "Because I'm Batman" which is funny due to this ridiculousness.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I'll start off by first saying that I enjoyed Metal #2. However, I have to agree with the OP regarding Batman and his continued foiling of the league. It's becoming a tired trope, and I think I'm about ready to see the tables turned on ol' Brucey.

I completely agree. I realize that Batman is DC's cash-cow but it's getting a little ridiculous that none of the League can one-up Bruce. My suspension of belief is being stretched incredibly thin with Batman in recent years.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I love Batman but his ability to beat everyone is ridiculous. It's how you get Hishe's "Because I'm Batman" which is funny due to this ridiculousness.
    Metal is just a big batfest, it’s super fun. But agreed it’s ridiculous at times.

Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Batman didn't outsmart the JL. He had about a year's head start on them and he out-planned them. That's his superpower. He beat the team by being 10 steps ahead of them. I think that's different than the Bat-God stuff people complain about. Batman's been working on this case for more than a year it seems. The Justice League just found out about it. Of course he has contingency plans in place that are capable of stalling them. That's what he does.
    You are entitled to this POV but in my opinion, I think this POV is the problem. So what if he had a year's head start? Just take the Flash for example. The guy moves at the speed of light, which means he thinks at the speed of light. On top of that, he's in forensics, meaning he's a bit of a detective too. Superman is that not far behind Flash in speed of thought (well, he's far behind but way faster than Batman).

Also, how is it the Riddler can out-plan and be a few steps ahead of Batman in Batman's own title, but the second Batman steps out of his title he gets to be smarter and more clever than Luthor and the rest of the JL? It's just lazy.

The only way this happens is when an over zealous Batman fan is the writer---which is what Snyder is.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

This may sound egotistical of me, but why should non-bat fans like me have to see our favourites run into the ground like this?
    It's not even a sound business strategy for DC because it just puts more and more pressure on Batman to keep this up while lowers the value of other characters. Ideally it should be that every character is equally cool and viable.
    The annoying thing is that not so long ago, the Batman Editorial office wasn't the ones actually behind most of the most egregious "Batgod" moments. They just put out Batman stories and characters outside his mythos rarely entered into it. And even when outside characters showed up, they usually got treated better than this.

The weird thing is that most of the worst Batgod moments used to happen under the auspices of the OTHER character's Editorial staff. Most of the worst "Batman beating Superman" moments? Almost ALL of them happened in Superman books.

It wasn't until around the time this Scott Snyder era got started that suddenly the Batman Editorial team started writing "Batman lol-stomps the Justice League" stories.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Just because someone has powers doesn't mean that they can automatically defeat a non-powered person. Plenty of super powered people are of average intelligence with no mind for tactics, planning or strategy; where as individuals like Batman are masters of such things. Also there are plenty of regular humans in the DCU that routinely outwit, outsmart, out play and outright defeat super powered people. Lex Luthor and Amanda Waller do it using manipulation, tech and their own intellect. Batman does the same. So I see nothing wrong with Batman defeating the League or any powered person if he plans ahead. Everyone has weaknesses that can be exploited even superheroes.
    1) Waller and Luthor regularly have people working with or under them so there is the sense they don't do it alone unlike Bruce.

2) Many of the heroes and villains Bruce outwits are not of average intelligence. Some are older than humanity itself.

3) If Bruce is this damn intelligent why does an albino in a leisure suit give him so much trouble? Why hasn't he built a prison secure enough to keep the Joker and every other Gotham rogue locked up?

Well, it was kind of expected way before the story had been released. I like Batman a lot, but him beating every other characters with prep is getting stupid now. Superman comes from a race of super geniuses, Brainiac said Clark is a level 8 being raised by level 3 primitives. Even with prep, there are only so many times he can outsmart Superman. I like to see him outsmarting other characters occasionally, it's fun, but he shouldn't always.

I don't know what to tell you, other than it's not easy trying to make as many fans as possible happy.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Basically, there are ten reasons: $,$$$,$$$,$$$

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

BANNED

I don't know what to tell you, other than it's not easy trying to make as many fans as possible happy.
    They could just try to tell good stories and not pander to one specific group of fans.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

How else would DC move mountains of this stuff?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014