Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    Really? Then why have I seen it twice already?
    Comedies not bein rewatchable is a real thing for some people. Not for me ive seen this twice and i saw Deadpool 3x in theaters. But some people wont laugh at the same joke twice. So i assume he meant it had no rewtachablity for him

This is gonna come off as dickish but shouldn't everyone know by now people are giving their opinions? It seems quite obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Pardon? 10chars
    humor no good ato correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    This is gonna come off as dickish but shouldn't everyone know by now people are giving their opinions? It seems quite obvious.
    Thats what i assume unless something is stated as a Blatant fact in general terms.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    It depends on what they say.

"Thor Ragnarok is a bad movie" is an opinion.

"Thor Ragnarok is a failure" implies an objective standard and it is easily disproven by box office totals and critical consensus.

"All true fans know that Thor Ragnarok is a bad movie" is just a dickish thing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    It definitely whetted my appetite to see things explored that they barely touched on.

Like Banner having been trapped inside the Hulk for two years, with no memory of what happened. That's a huge deal, but it felt like they passed over that point fairly quickly. Makes me wish we could get a solo Hulk film with Mark Ruffalo as he really adds a lot to the role. I'd love to see him diving into all the crazy changes the Hulk has undergone through the years, especially Mr. Fixit.

When he jumped out of the spaceship and didn't transform, they had the opportunity to do something really interesting. There was a PAD story where Banner became so afraid of losing control that when he got angry he turned into 'savage Hulk' personality with Banner's body. That would have been an amazing development! But they went for a joke that didn't make sense. Banner turns into Hulk before he can be seriously injured, barring some kind of weird development. He doesn't hit the ground and then transform.

On the plus side, Thor telling Banner he preferred him to Hulk and vice versa was really funny and a nice character moment.

I hope they bring Mjolnir back. I tend to think the hammer fits Thor's personality better than making him some kind of zen storm master. Even 'the unworthy Thor' replaced the lost Mjolnir with a giant axe, which is an impressive visual.
    Yeah, they just had Ruffalo act burnt out like a surfer bro saying "whaaat, what's going on? I've been Hulk for how long? Whaaa?"
    Superhero shows are trash

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

So another question this film brings to mind, will Thor avenge himself on the Gamemaster? I know he helped kickstart the revolution that toppled him, but it's hard for me to imagine Thor not wanting a face to face after everything he went through on Sakaar.

BANNED

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4341&p=.htm

"To go along with the film's "A" CinemaScore, opening weekend audiences were 56% male vs. 44% female, and of the overall audience, 63% were over the age of 25. One sign Disney and Marvel has to enjoy, beyond the fact Ragnarok debuted with $35+ million more than Thor: The Dark World, is audience demos were closer to a 50/50 split than its predecessor, whose opening weekend audience was 62% male. "

Interesting.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    So another question this film brings to mind, will Thor avenge himself on the Gamemaster? I know he helped kickstart the revolution that toppled him, but it's hard for me to imagine Thor not wanting a face to face after everything he went through on Sakaar.
    Doubtful at the end of the day the guy mostly just reunited him with Hulk.

I think this movie demonstrates the effectiveness of simplicity when properly executed. Yes, the plot is fairly straightforward, and I had a blast coasting through it. The characters were fun and interesting, the action was fantastic, and—having seen it three times now—it's refreshing on subsequent views. It has its flaws, of course. One thing that worked against it was having, in my opinion, two competing storylines: Thor’s adventures on Sakaar vs. Hela’s reign of terror on Asgard. The former would’ve made for an interesting feature in itself; the latter relied too much on the former’s conclusion. Personally, it wasn’t difficult to enjoy both. Transitioning from one the other didn’t disrupt my viewing enjoyment. But one had great character development while giving us exciting new possibilities; the other had that but in a lesser extent, and it relied too heavily on Cate Blanchett’s incredible acting (who better return someday!).

Overall, Thor: Ragnarok was an amalgamation of everything right about the MCU. It epitomizes Marvel’s winning formula in a spectacularly entertaining way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    One thing that worked against it was having, in my opinion, two competing storylines: Thor’s adventures on Sakaar vs. Hela’s reign of terror on Asgard. The former would’ve made for an interesting feature in itself; the latter relied too much on the former’s conclusion.
    I really enjoyed the film, but I did think that combining the two storylines was a mistake: the Sakaar storyline was so much fun and had such energy that I loved every minute, whereas the Hela/Asgard stuff was neither serious enough to have any impact, or funny/entertaining enough to keep that good feeling going from the Sakaar scenes; basically as we got off Sakaar the movie ran out of energy for me, and it felt like being at a party which had gone on for too long and where you were beginning to sober up. The Sakaar storyline is like a big, fun, caper movie, and I think it would have benefited from ending on a fun high rather than muddying things up on Asgard. None of the Asgard scenes were as fun or as exciting as the arena stuff, with Thor vs Hela being that much less exciting than Thor vs the Hulk, which was the combat highlight for me.

Anyway, definitely a film I'm looking forward to watching again. I hope they let Hemsworth off the leash a bit in the Avengers movies, because he's just so good here I want to see more of that Thor.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I really enjoyed the film, but I did think that combining the two storylines was a mistake: the Sakaar storyline was so much fun and had such energy that I loved every minute, whereas the Hela/Asgard stuff was neither serious enough to have any impact, or funny/entertaining enough to keep that good feeling going from the Sakaar scenes; basically as we got off Sakaar the movie ran out of energy for me, and it felt like being at a party which had gone on for too long and where you were beginning to sober up. The Sakaar storyline is like a big, fun, caper movie, and I think it would have benefited from ending on a fun high rather than muddying things up on Asgard. None of the Asgard scenes were as fun or as exciting as the arena stuff, with Thor vs Hela being that much less exciting than Thor vs the Hulk, which was the combat highlight for me.

Anyway, definitely a film I'm looking forward to watching again. I hope they let Hemsworth off the leash a bit in the Avengers movies, because he's just so good here I want to see more of that Thor.
    I think the same thing plagued XMen: The Last Stand and SpiderMan 3; too much crammed into one film.

Except neither of those two films worked as well as T:R (imo). Ragnarok had its flaws, but on the whole it delivered a really fun ride.

It helps that this film took Planet Hulk, which I've never read and therefore have no love for, and adapted it to its own (rather comedic) ends, rather than screwing over Simonson material; I got a bit frustrated at previous Thor films that used just enough Simonson material to prevent proper future adaptations from happening, at least until a reboot. This one only cheapened the Executioner's greatest moment, which admittedly did annoy me a lot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    I think this movie demonstrates the effectiveness of simplicity when properly executed. Yes, the plot is fairly straightforward, and I had a blast coasting through it. The characters were fun and interesting, the action was fantastic, and—having seen it three times now—it's refreshing on subsequent views. It has its flaws, of course. One thing that worked against it was having, in my opinion, two competing storylines: Thor’s adventures on Sakaar vs. Hela’s reign of terror on Asgard. The former would’ve made for an interesting feature in itself; the latter relied too much on the former’s conclusion. Personally, it wasn’t difficult to enjoy both. Transitioning from one the other didn’t disrupt my viewing enjoyment. But one had great character development while giving us exciting new possibilities; the other had that but in a lesser extent, and it relied too heavily on Cate Blanchett’s incredible acting (who better return someday!).

Overall, Thor: Ragnarok was an amalgamation of everything right about the MCU. It epitomizes Marvel’s winning formula in a spectacularly entertaining way.
    I don't think the story lines were competing at all. They blended together pretty seamlessly more working with each other than against.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-15-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I don't think the story lines were competing at all. They blended together pretty seamlessly more working with each other than against.
    Agreed. I think the film was really well executed on every level. Visually, it's stunning. Plot-wise, I think everything came together nicely, even if it was a bit slight in terms of emotional impact.

I hope the same creative team gets another Thor film.