Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I just don't know how to react to Korg sounding and talking like that .
    Like he is the kind of guys I see walking around in Australia and New Zealand all the time LOL

One thing I did notice, and maybe it has already been mentioned, is that they seem to have dropped the whole idea of the Asgardians as aliens.

Where in TDW Anthony Hopkins kicks things off by pointing out "We are not gods" here they constantly refer to themselves as such. Hela is not called a former general or even something as roundabout as Death Incarnate, they name her as "Goddess of Death".

And Thor is several times referred to as "GOD of thunder" [even taking offense at being referred to merely as LORD of thunder]. Odin even asks him "Are you the god of hammers?"

I don't know if that is something they will keep going, but in this outing at least it seems very much "Yeah, we are gods. Deal with it."
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

I feel that after Civil War,i haven't found any interest in Marvel movies.GotG vol.2 was meh,Spider-Man Homecoming was decent but still not impressed and Thor 3 is as shallow as Thor 2 but with more flash and better pace.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    I feel that after Civil War,i haven't found any interest in Marvel movies.GotG vol.2 was meh,Spider-Man Homecoming was decent but still not impressed and Thor 3 is as shallow as Thor 2 but with more flash and better pace.
    That is exactly how I feel. I absolutely hated both the humour and the handling of Sif and Jane in TDW - I spent much of the last couple years hoping for an epic about Norse gods and seeing more Sif and Warriors 3 and perhaps a better depiction of Jane, but the moment I read the synopsis and an interview with the director my heart sank. I really hope Marvel are not going in this direction with ALL of Phase Three.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    That is exactly how I feel. I absolutely hated both the humour and the handling of Sif and Jane in TDW - I spent much of the last couple years hoping for an epic about Norse gods and seeing more Sif and Warriors 3 and perhaps a better depiction of Jane, but the moment I read the synopsis and an interview with the director my heart sank. I really hope Marvel are not going in this direction with ALL of Phase Three.
    I doubt Infinity War is going to be like this given the tone of the trailers and that the Russo's are headlining it.

Their films generally have pretty even and balanced tones.

I just don't know how to react to Korg sounding and talking like that .
    I thought he was just a cameo. Was he a big part of the movie? Also did any other warbound make appearances. I remember rumors Miek was in it but havent seen him in any trailers. I woulda loved for Hiroim to join the MCU

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I thought he was just a cameo. Was he a big part of the movie? Also did any other warbound make appearances. I remember rumors Miek was in it but havent seen him in any trailers. I woulda loved for Hiroim to join the MCU
    I think he has a bit of a significant role, but not too much.

I'm pretty sure Miek is the only other Warbound in this movie.

I think he has a bit of a significant role, but not too much.

I'm pretty sure Miek is the only other Warbound in this movie.
    Thanks

Miek a cameo or same screen time as Korg?

Mighty Member

I doubt Infinity War is going to be like this given the tone of the trailers and that the Russo's are headlining it.

Their films generally have pretty even and balanced tones.
    Wonder what a Thor movie by them would have been like?

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thanks

Miek a cameo or same screen time as Korg?
    I think they're together for the most part, at least from what I've seen/heard.
    Wonder what a Thor movie by them would have been like?
    Infinity War might give us some idea.

Would've been interesting to see a Thor movie made by Peter Jackson with a script from Neil Gaiman.

BANNED

Going by what I've seen that's done well at the BO and has not. I wouldn't hold my breath. If you want to see serious or at least some restraint in the humour, you might want to stick with the books. I

Not to say that a SH comic book film can't be made with a serious tone or aim for good storytelling like Logan or Dr. Strange. But Thor just doesn't seem to be the kind of material, especially with the funds behind it, that Hollywood is just going to go for a Norse soap opera narrative.

When I read that TRR was made in the vein of GOTG, (which from what I've seen just comes across as puerile and adolescent). I thought that I'll just borrow the DVD from the library. Unless I hear good word of mouth about the Justice League film I'll do that same thing with that as well.

The visual of Surtur is spectacular. He looks exactly how he appears in the comic Ragnarok storyline. This film is more of an action comedy than a straight up superhero film - which, to me, it's a good step (or lead up), especially with the upcoming bleakness of Infinity War.

Spoiler: The fight between Surtur and Hela was way way way too short. It would have been epic to see that fight played out in full
    Last edited by k von doom; 10-29-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Amazing Member

Pretty sure there's going to be some darker films ahead, but not this one. Yeah sure I like epics with a LOTR or Game of Thrones feel, and I'm a sucker for anything Norse mythy, but I wasn't expecting it from a Marvel Thor movie, and what I got was a fun spectacle. Norse myth is pretty metal, but this wasn't black metal so much as glam metal. Dunno if we'll get an epic about Norse gods in big budget blockbuster format - rocks fall, everyone dies.

Hiddleston going through the motions... hmm. Loki in this didn't strike me too much as anything but comic relief but not sure how much that is script and direction. One reviewer did say that Hiddleston was too intense an actor to mesh perfectly with this movie, they have a point I think. Another reviewer did praise his underplaying as appropriate. I just felt Loki was a slightly different character than before - though different movies have had different takes on his character, it's true.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I sort of agree with this actually... I appreciated there was some trouble taken to explore the complicated emotional relationship between him and Thor, and I don't need to see hurt lil' bb Loki any more after his coming of age arc in the first Thor movie, but he really had zero menace about him here, and I'm not sure his overall arc in the movies justifies that much defanging. Very funny as comic relief, but I think has lost some of that depth that made him interesting. Opinions?
    Loki had a great arc. He started out as a menacing foil to Thor, and eventually, the Avengers. Now he is a begrudging ally. Albeit one who will still seize any opportunity or exploit any situation to his advantage. I just feel like he was included in the script after the fact. I have no issue with Loki, because i feel Marvel needs more recurring villains. However overexposure can become a deterrent. Such as Magneto in the X-Men movies. X-Men has a vast well of antagonists to choose from, yet they keep returning to Magneto all the damn time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    The visual of Surtur is spectacular. He looks exactly how he appears in the comic Ragnarok storyline. This film is more of an action comedy than a straight up superhero film - which, to me, it's a good step (or lead up), especially with the upcoming bleakness of Infinity War.

Spoiler: The fight between Surtur and Hela was way way way too short. It would have been epic to see that fight played out in full
    The visuals are something I haven't given enough praise in this thread. The CGI in this was heads and shoulders above GoG Vol 2 and Doctor Strange. The opening sequence in Guardians 2 weren't convincing (You could see that the creature had no weight to it) and Dormammu was on par with Galactus from F4 2. Surter was absolutely jaw dropping. The only time the effects get iffy is when Thor channels his lightning. Apart from that, I don't have much to fault it on SFX wise.