Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Civil War wasn't comedic and Black Panther doesn't look to be either so I'm not concerned.

Truth Thor Ragnarok has made 650.1 Million Worldwide more than both it's predecessors. It has scored IMDB 8.2/10, Rotten Tomatoes 93%, Metacritic 73, & Cinemascore A.

So no matter how you cut it this film was a success so good on Marvel.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    You're taking comments from people outside of Marvel studios from years ago to support your claims. Or taking a joke Waiti made and trying to cast it as contempt for the movie viewer.

And all of this overlooks the fact that Thor Ragnarok has gotten the best critical response of all the Thor movies and is one of the highest critically acclaimed movies to come out of Marvel Studios. It is also the most financially successful Thor movie, a feat it managed to do in less than 2 weeks in the US market. This hardly supports your statements that Marvel Studios believe "Everyone will love what they do, regardless of how good it really is."
    With all due respect, I think Mr Waititi didnt have to be so openly rude - I wouldnt blame him if the guy was trolling him - but he wasnt. Im curious as to how anyone here would have reacted if hed answered their requests in the same way?

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    You can blend both nicely, the did with Avengers and the first Thor, while the Captain America movies were more serious but did have moments of levity. I found this interesting:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/...agnarok-jokes/
    Oh, I agree. You can find a balance. GotG 2 is a funny film, but it also has the most emotional moment in a Marvel Studios film.

I'm just saying that there's room for improvement and maybe they'll work that out moving forward.

My favorite Thor film is still the first, as I felt the most for the characters in that one and tonally it fit my vision of the character's world best.

I'd give Thor: Ragnarok a B or B+. It's a pleasant distraction, but not the kind of film that sticks with you for a long time.

As far as Marvel getting too comedic, I think maybe this is the calm before the storm. Infinity War will be much darker.

Astonishing Member

With all due respect, I think Mr Waititi didnt have to be so openly rude - I wouldnt blame him if the guy was trolling him - but he wasnt. Im curious as to how anyone here would have reacted if hed answered their requests in the same way?
    With all due respect, have you considered that you may be taking a comment meant as a joke and interpreting it as rudeness? And that one comment taken out of context doesn't support the attitudes and motivations you have ascribed to Marvel Studios as a whole? And that you are ignoring the critical acclaim and financial success that suggest most viewers enjoyed the film and thought it was well made?

With regard to Sif's absence, is it possible that they wanted to avoid killing her on screen so she could come back if they chose? It wouldn't take much. They could just say she was in Midgard looking for Odin or something.

Mighty Member

With all due respect, have you considered that you may be taking a comment meant as a joke and interpreting it as rudeness? And that one comment taken out of context doesn't support the attitudes and motivations you have ascribed to Marvel Studios as a whole? And that you are ignoring the critical acclaim and financial success that suggest most viewers enjoyed the film and thought it was well made?
    Okay...you love the film. I get it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    With regard to Sif's absence, is it possible that they wanted to avoid killing her on screen so she could come back if they chose? It wouldn't take much. They could just say she was in Midgard looking for Odin or something.
    That would be a good idea - according to everything I read about Thor 3 there isnt a Thor/Valkyrie romance so its possible.

Astonishing Member

Okay...you love the film. I get it.
    And it appears you hate the film. Everyone has different opinions about what is good and everyone enjoys different movies. But you are trying to state your speculation about the filmmakers as fact. There have been many posters on this board who have stated that they didn't enjoy the movie or there are elements that they didn't like or that they didn't like the amount of humor in this film or in the MCU in general. It is possible to criticize the movie without painting the director as insulting the fans or stating he wrote out characters to shoehorn his own characters into the movie.

Astonishing Member

First Off: I enjoyed it.

I really wasn't expecting the comedic aspect--as others have said, I would rate it as a comedy. (And they should enter it in the award shows as one--maybe it will win something)

It was light harded and fun, but there's almost no rewatchability and even though Asgard was destroyed/The Warriors 3 killed off--I felt like there was never a hint of any danger, despite all the raised stakes.

I didn't like Blanchett's portrayal of Hela for that reason too. A little too over the top campy. Hela should be more terrifying. I like what they did with her powers though. She was still one of the more fleshed out Marvel Villains, which is good.

All in all, if this is a one-off movie in terms of tone, it was good. If they are all going to be like this, eventually I'll lose interest...

Mighty Member

And it appears you hate the film. Everyone has different opinions about what is good and everyone enjoys different movies. But you are trying to state your speculation about the filmmakers as fact. There have been many posters on this board who have stated that they didn't enjoy the movie or there are elements that they didn't like or that they didn't like the amount of humor in this film or in the MCU in general. It is possible to criticize the movie without painting the director as insulting the fans or stating he wrote out characters to shoehorn his own characters into the movie.
    Right, okay....I think its time to end this conversation before we get banned for trolling each other. Glad you liked it by the way - life is too short to get worked up by a movie.

Reminds me of the good olde days at school.....where if you didnt like the same things as everyone else you were "uncool"
    No you have valid complaint about this one movie. Most ppl on here agree the humor was too much but they still had fun and enjoyed the movie. It ruined it for you thats fine and i can see why. But the way your painting marvel studios isnt factual. And your claiming you opinion is the opinion of real fans. Again not factual. But in regard to this movie i have similar complaints as you but they bothered me way less. More like this movie coulda been great but settled for good. Again Lokis reaction to Thors speech in the elevator was amazing and i didnt like that they undercut it with comedy. But it was clear they were sacraficing the drama for fun and fast pacing. I woulda liked more of a balance but doent change that i was ear to ear grinning the whole movie and the movie probaly got as many hard laughs in my viewing as Deadpool did when i saw that.

It definitely whetted my appetite to see things explored that they barely touched on.

Like Banner having been trapped inside the Hulk for two years, with no memory of what happened. That's a huge deal, but it felt like they passed over that point fairly quickly. Makes me wish we could get a solo Hulk film with Mark Ruffalo as he really adds a lot to the role. I'd love to see him diving into all the crazy changes the Hulk has undergone through the years, especially Mr. Fixit.

When he jumped out of the spaceship and didn't transform, they had the opportunity to do something really interesting. There was a PAD story where Banner became so afraid of losing control that when he got angry he turned into 'savage Hulk' personality with Banner's body. That would have been an amazing development! But they went for a joke that didn't make sense. Banner turns into Hulk before he can be seriously injured, barring some kind of weird development. He doesn't hit the ground and then transform.

On the plus side, Thor telling Banner he preferred him to Hulk and vice versa was really funny and a nice character moment.

I hope they bring Mjolnir back. I tend to think the hammer fits Thor's personality better than making him some kind of zen storm master. Even 'the unworthy Thor' replaced the lost Mjolnir with a giant axe, which is an impressive visual.
    Last edited by David Walton; 11-13-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    It definitely whetted my appetite to see things explored that they barely touched on.

Like Banner having been trapped inside the Hulk for two years, with no memory of what happened. That's a huge deal, but it felt like they passed over that point fairly quickly. Makes me wish we could get a solo Hulk film with Mark Ruffalo as he really adds a lot to the role. I'd love to see him diving into all the crazy changes the Hulk has undergone through the years, especially Mr. Fixit.

When he jumped out of the spaceship and didn't transform, they had the opportunity to do something really interesting. There was a PAD story where Banner became so afraid of losing control that when he got angry he turned into 'savage Hulk' personality with Banner's body. That would have been an amazing development! But they went for a joke that didn't make sense. Banner turns into Hulk before he can be seriously injured, barring some kind of weird development. He doesn't hit the ground and then transform.

On the plus side, Thor telling Banner he preferred him to Hulk and vice versa was really funny and a nice character moment.

I hope they bring Mjolnir back. I tend to think the hammer fits Thor's personality better than making him some kind of zen storm master. Even 'the unworthy Thor' replaced the lost Mjolnir with a giant axe, which is an impressive visual.
    I think he will get a hammer or another weapon to replace is. If he doesnt get killed in IW.

They said Thor 3/IW/ and Avengers 4 will be a Hulk movie. He has a arc through them apparently. Probaly having to do with the battle for control with Hulk/Banner.

I also loved thor trying to calm Hulk and then Banner with Widows little calming technique. I can respect marvel for allowing them to make fun of certain things in the MCU.

Edit: also it didnt bother me but what was Thor 3s budget? Cause Hulk looked half as good as he does in the Avengers movies imo. Like that Hulk should be award nominated Ragnarok Hulk was fine but i alwys felt like i was looking at a obviois CGI character
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-13-2017 at 10:39 AM.

I think the budget was 180 million. And you are right. This was definitely the worst Hulk has looked in all the Marvel films imo. Not horrible mind you, but it was not up to par with past versions.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    First Off: I enjoyed it.

I really wasn't expecting the comedic aspect--as others have said, I would rate it as a comedy. (And they should enter it in the award shows as one--maybe it will win something)

It was light harded and fun, but there's almost no rewatchability .

Really? Then why have I seen it twice already?