Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    The visuals are something I haven't given enough praise in this thread. The CGI in this was heads and shoulders above GoG Vol 2 and Doctor Strange. The opening sequence in Guardians 2 weren't convincing (You could see that the creature had no weight to it) and Dormammu was on par with Galactus from F4 2. Surter was absolutely jaw dropping. The only time the effects get iffy is when Thor channels his lightning. Apart from that, I don't have much to fault it on SFX wise.
    Dormammu was basically just another CG cloud monster.

I can't believe that's the direction they decided to go in as far as adapting him from the comics (especially since the concept art looked a lot better), but I guess it let them go more comic-accurate with Surtur so another giant fire bad guy didn't invite comparisons with the one Strange fought.

Ultimate Member

Seen this. It was alright.

However, the movie is NOT a comedy as many have described. It had several moments of levity and humor and frankly some scenes didn't need humor at all

The action was great and we actually saw Thor be "Thor" so to speak. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Seen this. It was alright.

However, the movie is NOT a comedy as many have described. It had several moments of levity and humor and frankly some scenes didn't need humor at all

The action was great and we actually saw Thor be "Thor" so to speak. Overall, I'd give it a 7.5/10.
    Really! You didn't see this as a straight-up comedy? How would you classify it?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Really! You didn't see this as a straight-up comedy? How would you classify it?
    It's basically an action sci-fi adventure movie sprinkled with humor. It's more like Temple of Doom than The Hangover in tone.

The movie has some straight up brutal action (one particular scene could almost be termed horrifying, probably the most violent scene in an MCU movie).

The problem is the humor that is in the movie featured "gags" which aren't seen much outside of comedies. Of course, this is how I saw the movie. People will definitely have different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's basically an action sci-fi adventure movie sprinkled with humor. It's more like Temple of Doom than The Hangover in tone.

The movie has some straight up brutal action (one particular scene could almost be termed horrifying, probably the most violent scene in an MCU movie).

The problem is the humor that is in the movie featured "gags" which aren't seen much outside of comedies. Of course, this is how I saw the movie. People will definitely have different opinions.
    An awful lot of the action is comedic. Feel free to categorise it as an action comedy, but however it is categorised it has to include comedy.

Some of the most death filled scenes are thrown away as inconsequential, as if mowing down dozens of people is funny. There are entire sequences that are designed as jokes. The catastrophic ending lacks any form of horror, played for spectacle and joked about as it happens. This is by no means an action flick. The jokes are more than spinkled, they are a rain storm saturating the dialogue.

I do suspect the original screenplay was an action adventure, but that isn't what got made. Indeed I suspect the screenwriter had very little to do with the final output of this film, directed by a comedian, heavily improvised and edited for comedy, literally discarding pathos and tragedy even as it happens on screen. The actual action is often stripped of meaning. Whole cameo scenes are inserted just for laughs, akin to sketch comedy. The GotG movies probably had more drama and pathos and less jokes.

Ultimate Member

An awful lot of the action is comedic. Feel free to categorise it as an action comedy, but however it is categorised it has to include comedy.

Some of the most death filled scenes are thrown away as inconsequential, as if mowing down dozens of people is funny. There are entire sequences that are designed as jokes. The catastrophic ending lacks any form of horror, played for spectacle and joked about as it happens. This is by no means an action flick. The jokes are more than spinkled, they are a rain storm saturating the dialogue.

I do suspect the original screenplay was an action adventure, but that isn't what got made. Indeed I suspect the screenwriter had very little to do with the final output of this film, directed by a comedian, heavily improvised and edited for comedy, literally discarding pathos and tragedy even as it happens on screen. The actual action is often stripped of meaning. Whole cameo scenes are inserted just for laughs, akin to sketch comedy. The GotG movies probably had more drama and pathos and less jokes.
    Well, maybe I need to watch the movie again. I don't remember there being as much humor as you're describing.

When I watching it, I didn't feel I was watching a "comedy".

Mighty Member

Which, along with bad editing and the dreadful use of female characters, was what spoiled The Dark World for me. Love or hate it, Thor 3 is definitely inspiring an interesting debate.

Thor 3 made over $100m overseas!

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Which, along with bad editing and the dreadful use of female characters, was what spoiled The Dark World for me. Love or hate it, Thor 3 is definitely inspiring an interesting debate.
    Rest assured if you haven't seen it, this is a big step up from the previous outing. I did really enjoy the experience. I found many things disappointing but nothing as pointless as the final act of Dark World.

Anyone care to speculate about the Treasure Room scene with Loki towards the end (and earlier with Hela). So we had the Infinity Gauntlet, Tesseract and the Casket of Infinite Winters? We had one that was fake, another that 'was okay'... and did Loki take one on the way out?

Enjoyed Dark World more than the first movie. This one looks to be a wholly different animal, though.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Thor 3 made over $100m overseas!

I wonder if being released during the kids holiday helped?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    Anyone care to speculate about the Treasure Room scene with Loki towards the end (and earlier with Hela). So we had the Infinity Gauntlet, Tesseract and the Casket of Infinite Winters? We had one that was fake, another that 'was okay'... and did Loki take one on the way out?
    There was definitely some foreshadowing going on in that scene. I reckon he took the item he was looking at (if you've seen the film, you'll know what I am referring towards.) No doubt it will come into play as a macguffin to counter the Infinity Gauntlet.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Its a classic case of style over substance, but sadly these are exactly the sort of films which eventually will destroy the comic book movie market. Yes,they are fun, but they have no lasting power so to speak. One reviewer I read said it reminded him of Battle Beyond the Stars - which was a second rate Star Wars rip off. The reviewer actually seemed to think he was paying Thor 3 a compliment. Marvel themselves chose a comedian with little love for taking anything seriously as a director, so we have to assume they have no problem with c******* all over their own franchises. I really hope this isnt going to be the new direction for Marvel, as it will very quickly become tedious.
    Ok I have to respond to this. Because up to this point one or two people had something critical to say of this movie its the kind of movie that will destroy comic movies? Really? How long has Marvel been making these films? 2008? Im pretty certain its 2017 heading into 2018 and they have yet to "destroy". In fact with the momentum thats being generated with this movie Im certain Marvel Studios will be fine in the next year. So how long do they have to be in business making enormous amounts of money to have "lasting power so to speak"? Literally every single movie Marvel releases will be the one that brings about their downfall according to someone on this board and they all end up making huge profits and getting favorable reviews. It amazes me that random people on the internet think they know better what makes a successful comic book movie than the company that has been making arguably the most successful comic book movies over the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosfist View Post
    Ok I have to respond to this. Because up to this point one or two people had something critical to say of this movie its the kind of movie that will destroy comic movies? Really? How long has Marvel been making these films? 2008? Im pretty certain its 2017 heading into 2018 and they have yet to "destroy". In fact with the momentum thats being generated with this movie Im certain Marvel Studios will be fine in the next year. So how long do they have to be in business making enormous amounts of money to have "lasting power so to speak"? Literally every single movie Marvel releases will be the one that brings about their downfall according to someone on this board and they all end up making huge profits and getting favorable reviews. It amazes me that random people on the internet think they know better what makes a successful comic book movie than the company that has been making arguably the most successful comic book movies over the past decade.
    They'll be right eventually. Someday, the saturation will overcome the market and the comic book movies will crash. It happened with the Western, I'm sure it will happen again.

It's the broken clock syndrome.

But, I agree. Until Marvel starts putting out stinker after stinker, they'll be fine.

They still got a ways to go.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium