Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Are the action sequences better then Vol. 2 at least?
    Way better thor tears shit up in the intro. And you get to see that hes actually a skilled fighter.

I watched it last night. This is a pretty good comedy. The movie should not have been called Thor: Ragnarok, IMO.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I think they kiddified Thor when he became an alien instead of a god.
    Asgardians have been extra-dimensional aliens in the comics since at least the 80s. Bifrost was a portal between the two worlds.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Asgardians have been extra-dimensional aliens in the comics since at least the 80s. Bifrost was a portal between the two worlds.
    This^ they arent simply aliens they seem to be extradimensional aliens whoch for the most part fits with the comics. nd this movie makes a point of calling them gods or Lord lol

According to Aaron, Jurgens and JMS they are most certainly gods and not just aliens. All three writers explore the mythological aspect of the Asgardians quite a bit. Even Hickman briefly addressed it early in his Avengers run when the alien subduing Thor claimed that she was unable to "read" his physical essence and it was as if "he didn't even exist in the here and now." Certainly in the MCU their identity has been portrayed differently in the last few films to keep it ambiguous as to what they are (because I think they wanted a more sci-fi element rather than mythological).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    I watched it last night. This is a pretty good comedy. The movie should not have been called Thor: Ragnarok, IMO.
    spoilers:
    Yeah, especially since the "Ragnarok" part felt like the B-plot for a big chunk of the movie, and end up being just "meh."
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    I think, in regards to the tone and relative lack of tension, Marvel knows that audiences know that Infinity War is coming and that Thor is in it. Rather than try to falsely build a sense of tension ("will Thor make it?") they just simply had fun with it. With Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers 4, we don't know what is coming afterwards (beyond the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel, thanks Sony), so there's a lot more tension that can be built without audiences knowing that Cap 4 and Thor 4 and Dr Strange 2 coming. And yes, surely some of those sequels are coming and there have been discussions, but Marvel's been relatively tight lipped and I think it's because they know that the big Phase 3 announcement undercut some of the dramatic aspect in their films.
    They could have at least built tension that some of the supporting characters might die (and not the ones that you expected to die going in).

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    According to Aaron, Jurgens and JMS they are most certainly gods and not just aliens. All three writers explore the mythological aspect of the Asgardians quite a bit. Even Hickman briefly addressed it early in his Avengers run when the alien subduing Thor claimed that she was unable to "read" his physical essence and it was as if "he didn't even exist in the here and now." Certainly in the MCU their identity has been portrayed differently in the last few films to keep it ambiguous as to what they are (because I think they wanted a more sci-fi element rather than mythological).
    I alway think of Bendis' anecdote about this. He overheard a couple arguing about this clearly having seen the movie. He happily advised them he worked for Marvel, and that they were definitely gods. It made me chuckle.

I do feel that this movie made moves more in the direction of them being gods than the other two did. It did leave it ambiguous but it never really suggested they were just aliens, and constantly referred to gods.

Just got back from Imax 3D.

I loved it -- I'd rank around GOTG 1 or 2. Easily the best Thor movie. I expected Grandmaster to be a bit more like the comic version from what I remember, but Goldblum did a great job nevertheless.

Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie was pretty badass.

The Thor/Loki dynamic worked out well, as did the relationship with Hulk and Thor.

EDIT: forgot to mention I thought Blanchett was perfect for the role, as I expected her to be.
    Last edited by hulahulk; 11-04-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    EDIT: forgot to mention I thought Blanchett was perfect for the role, as I expected her to be.
    She was the ultimate bitchy older sister. Her performance was so much fun. Definitely in the top three for Marvel villains. "Okay. Get up."

My unholy trinity now consists of Loki/Hela/Ego, with Ultron and Stane rounding out the top five. Thanos has some work to do.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

There's nothing mutually exclusive about being aliens and worshiped as gods.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    She was the ultimate bitchy older sister. Her performance was so much fun. Definitely in the top three for Marvel villains. "Okay. Get up."

My unholy trinity now consists of Loki/Hela/Ego, with Ultron and Stane rounding out the top five. Thanos has some work to do.

Yeah, those are my top 3 as well. I'd probably put Keaton's Vulture in at 3b.

I'm guessing Thanos will chew scenery, both with monologues and team-crushing battle prowess.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

mind-boggeling amount of easter eggs. may it be shots, backgrounds, phrases or concepts.

the escape-ship looks like skuttlebutt(spelling, did not google, beta ray bill´s ship, which houses his entire race)
    but my fav EE is the last unicorn nod, "that´s what heroes do"

fav humour scene
    "what is this?"
    "my disguise"
    "i can see your face..."
    "not if i do this"
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I've said this quite a few times recently comic book fans did fight to get comic books taken serious and I was one of them a teen in the 90's who wanted comics taken seriously. But now quite frankly I think fans are taking them way too serious. This is a medium first and foremost created and for children. It's like Star Wars great films adults can love them I do but don't complain when they're too "childish" because they're for kids. Thor is a dude from space with a magic hammer how serious are non comic book fans suppose to take it? Some characters lend themselves to more seriousness or have no silliness to them at all like Batman or Punisher but most are people running around in colorful costumes saving the day it's a little inherently goofy. I view comic films especially MCU films as Old School Bond films which were basically comic book films with a super secret agent, gadgets, supervillains, and secret liars. Some are good, some are great, some are mediocre but all are fun and a joy to watch. Marvel gets that's what the general audience wants fun enjoyable movies for most of these characters and if we're lucky they'll have the run Bond has and every now and then we'll get films like Winter Soldier or Civil War just like Bond would give a Her Majesty's Secret Service or License to Kill.

with the amount of diversity talk these days, i did notice that the 2 white warriors (fandrall&volstagg) were offed within seconds, while the asian warrior (hogun) gets his heroic last stand. the black asgardian(heimdall) then leads the rebellion and is betrayed (forced betrayal though) by a white guy. i hate noticing these patterns. doesn´take away much from a movie i enjóyed, but why handle fan/voll this way?
    (by the easyness of their death i thought they´d be resurrected at the end of the movie. volstagg, loving father, heart of thor´s entourage just offed like this?)

Last edited by abulafia; 11-04-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

BANNED

To heck with character ethnicity. I've personally always been offended no one speaks with a Norwegian accent.