Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    With the missing eye in Infinity War, I have a feeling the eye-patch is CG and they just showed the footage without that bit. Or he loses the eye-patch and the CGI of the eye being gone isn't complete.
    I can't imagine they would spend thousands on a CGI eyepatch when they could spend $5 on a real one and a little spirit gum.

Just got back. Fun film. Loved the beta ray bill/ man-thing easter egg. Rolled my eyes when half the people left and missed the post movie scenes. It's been what 10 years? Folks don't know to stay till the end of a marvel studios film by this point?

The stan lee cameo was great!

Also-

spoilers:
    In the trailer on the bridge hulk is with them but in the movie he is in the water and not with them and the hair cut scene was not the one in the trailer.

Also didn't expect the black widow cameo!
    end of spoilers

thing about pissing all over fandrall and volstagg specificly, is that his character would have been the perfect device to deliver the film´s ultimate message. asgard is not a place... it is the people. VOLSTAGG!!!
    maybe i am too much of a thor fan and few people know that volstagg even adopted earth children to point out his family side. besides his warrior/eatmuch lion of asgard side. he is the heart of asgard! big fail in a fun movie
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    thing about pissing all over fandrall and volstagg specificly, is that his character would have been the perfect device to deliver the film´s ultimate message. asgard is not a place... it is the people. VOLSTAGG!!!
    maybe i am too much of a thor fan and few people know that volstagg even adopted earth children to point out his family side. besides his warrior/eatmuch lion of asgard side. he is the heart of asgard! big fail in a fun movie
    I've been continually bummed by how much the Warriors Three have been progressively given the shrift in these movies (well, them and Sif).

At least it sounds like Hogun goes out on a high note.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've been continually bummed by how much the Warriors Three have been progressively given the shrift in these movies (well, them and Sif).

At least it sounds like Hogun goes out on a high note.
    sorry if i spoilered you. since the movie is out, i thought it was ok to talk plot details
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by abulafia View Post
    sorry if i spoilered you. since the movie is out, i thought it was ok to talk plot details
    Well, I already wasn't expecting much for the Three in this movie, so I'm okay with being prepped for that .

BANNED

For those on the board who think I only like Marvel and not DC

For those who think I only like light and fluffy and do not like dark

I really had problems with this movie. This was not an action with some comedy. It was a comedy bordering on farce with moments of action, but unlike Guardians of the Galaxy (or maybe because of it) I didn't find this funny. There literally was no moment in this film where I smiled. Well, maybe when Thor threw the ball at the window and it bounced off and hit him. Guardians was always intended to be a comedy, and it works very well that way. Thor as a sudden slapstick just didn't do it for me, particularly given the dramatic scope of this story. I found I had little interest or investment in any of the characters. I honestly didn't care how the climax played out because I didn't find anyone particularly engaging, even Thor. I cared more about the unnamed Asgardian civilians than anyone with a name.

I did not care for how it threw away significant plot points. The usurping of Odin I'd been looking forward to, but in this movie it was treated like an unloved child...something to get beyond with as little effort and thought as possible.

The fight with Hulk...well, I understand why it appeals to some, but I've never found much interest in a fight between two indestructible people. it's a visual with no possibility of advancing the story. In fact the entire time on Grandmaster's planet seemed like a delaying tactic, something to add time to the film until Thor could actual confront the actual menace.

The Ride of the Valkyries was visually stunning. I also liked that Hulk could speak. Otherwise I thought there wasn't much to admire about the film.

This was a hard post for me to write, actually. I've noticed a trend over the years on this board, where threads start out as "OMG this was the best comic book movie ever!" and move to "It was good but I had problems with A B C" and eventually becomes "This movie sucked." I really didn't want to continue that trend, but this movie really, really did not work for me. It bodes very ill for Infinity Wars. Horrible lead-in.

I recognize that the problem is likely more with me than the movie...I seem to be in a huge minority. But everything, right down to the cockney accents, annoyed the hell out of me.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 11-04-2017 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    To heck with character ethnicity. I've personally always been offended no one speaks with a Norwegian accent.
    To be fair even in the sixties Stan and the boys gave them the whole Shakespearean shtick. Hell, I'd settle for the proper English speak they started with in the first film.

I really had problems with this movie. This was not an action with some comedy. It was a comedy bordering on farce with moments of action, but unlike Guardians of the Galaxy (or maybe because of it) I didn't find this funny. There literally was no moment in this film where I smiled. Well, maybe when Thor threw the ball at the window and it bounced off and hit him. Guardians was always intended to be a comedy, and it works very well that way. Thor as a sudden slapstick just didn't do it for me, particularly given the dramatic scope of this story. I found I had little interest or investment in any of the characters. I honestly didn't care how the climax played out because I didn't find anyone particularly engaging, even Thor. I cared more about the unnamed Asgardian civilians than anyone with a name.

I did not care for how it threw away significant plot points. The usurping of Odin I'd been looking forward to, but in this movie it was treated like an unloved child...something to get beyond with as little effort and thought as possible.

The fight with Hulk...well, I understand why it appeals to some, but I've never found much interest in a fight between two indestructible people. it's a visual with no possibility of advancing the story. In fact the entire time on Grandmaster's planet seemed like a delaying tactic, something to add time to the film until Thor could actual confront the actual menace.

The Ride of the Valkyries was visually stunning. I also liked that Hulk could speak. Otherwise I thought there wasn't much to admire about the film.

This was a hard post for me to write, actually. I've noticed a trend over the years on this board, where threads start out as "OMG this was the best comic book movie ever!" and move to "It was good but I had problems with A B C" and eventually becomes "This movie sucked." I really didn't want to continue that trend, but this movie really, really did not work for me. It bodes very ill for Infinity Wars. Horrible lead-in.

I recognize that the problem is likely more with me than the movie...I seem to be in a huge minority. But everything, right down to the cockney accents, annoyed the hell out of me.

well, i understand the point you make. back in 2002(?), when LOTR TT was released and i saw eomer,

i thought: dang this guy would be a perfect cast for thor. ofc i would love epic, dramatic thor movies. i will always have my headcanon. hemsworth is a terrific cast. and if they have to be more comdey to show me more thor? hemsworth has his strenghts in the comedy department. let´s play to your leads strengths. marvel did that buddy comedy stunt before the movies in perfection with herc&cho. most fun buddy book i read since original archer&armstrong. i think it is about balanceing things out. giving each segment of the audience some moments to enjoy. and t3 had lots of moment that pleased me as a comic book fan

x-fans always wonder if storm this or cyc that could carry a movie. they´d have to have intelligent writing. which t3 has IMHO. do you like it? well, that is a different subject. but they delivered a movie, a huge audience can enjoy

thor, ant-man, GotG, heck avengers, who could have imagenied we´d get that? and i went crazy over rumours in the 90s that Cameron would direct a spider-man movie. as a comic fan, i am rather humble.
    Last edited by abulafia; 11-04-2017 at 08:12 PM.

You're not alone. It was not a "Thor" movie to me. It was a fun, stupid comedy with some cool CGI and action but other than some random elements that I liked, it is very forgettable. There were some cool nods to the source material, I guess. But any time the film seemed to develop some interesting drama, tension or nice character work it was sorely interrupted by really infantile, jock humor.

And you shouldn't blame yourself. They obviously discarded the initial script and winged the majority of the film. They wanted to hit as many metrics as possible and the film will probably score a major financial haul at the box office, but people confuse financial success with aesthetic pleasure, IMO.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    To be fair even in the sixties Stan and the boys gave them the whole Shakespearean shtick. Hell, I'd settle for the proper English speak they started with in the first film.
    To be fair, I was being facetious

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    She was the ultimate bitchy older sister. Her performance was so much fun. Definitely in the top three for Marvel villains. "Okay. Get up."

My unholy trinity now consists of Loki/Hela/Ego, with Ultron and Stane rounding out the top five. Thanos has some work to do.
    Id put Vulture up there too above Ultron.

Being a bein from another dimension doesnt mean they arent gods. Odin said they arent gods in the dark world. But on ragnarol they are reffered to as gods more times then i can count. And They make it clear that thor powers come from being the god of thunder not the hammer.

BANNED

The climax of the film also fell victim to what I thought was one of the major failings of Wonder Woman. The hero didn't defeat the villain thanks to some plot development that had been foreshadowed earlier in the film, or e3ven thanks to a mistake of the villain's. The hero just got stronger for no discernible reason, and gained powers not previously hinted at. Instead of losing to a villain who clearly had dominating force over them, they just inexplicably started winning. It was emotionless and lazy. And uninspiring. Huge letdown. For me it was easily the worst Thor movie. Easily the worst Marvel movie. I'll never watch a Marvel flick from this director again, I think.

The climax of the film also fell victim to what I thought was one of the major failings of Wonder Woman. The hero didn't defeat the villain thanks to some plot development that had been foreshadowed earlier in the film, or e3ven thanks to a mistake of the villain's. The hero just got stronger for no discernible reason, and gained powers not previously hinted at. Instead of losing to a villain who clearly had dominating force over them, they just inexplicably started winning. It was emotionless and lazy. And uninspiring. Huge letdown. For me it was easily the worst Thor movie. Easily the worst Marvel movie. I'll never watch a Marvel flick from this director again, I think.
    Umm no thor still got his ass kicked and he showed those powers in glimpses the whole movie. Thor won by a plot development hinted in the movies intro. Thor gave her everything he had and it barely slowed her down.

Side note i kinda loved what they did with Skurge
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-04-2017 at 08:01 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Umm no thor still got his ass kicked and he showed those powers in glimpses the whole movie. Thor won by a plot development hinted in the movies intro
    That...is not true.