Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Marvel has yet to green light a 4 for Cap or Ironman. So iono if they are intereated in going past a trilogy with solo movies.
    Umm...maybe because they don't want to spoil their own movie by confirming that those characters live?

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    They could kill Thor, Loki, and all the Asgardians but do some kind of death/rebirth cycle that says Asgard will be reborn later if they really wanted. That way you can have the characters off the board but it won't be a complete and final end for them (and you have an excuse to recast if need be)
    This would be the worst thing ever. The films are the perfect opportunity to keep the freeway moving and allow new characters to shine. It's much more meaningful for them to have a beginning, middle and end instead of a perpetuity.

This was alright. It dragged a bit in the middle but overall it was enjoyable. Still, it's unfortunate that the Thor movie's can't fully realize all the potential it has. I still think Thor 1 was the best of the three movies. It had the best vision of the character(Thor) and mythos imo. Branagh actually seemed to give a damn about the stories and characters and was able to walk the fine line between comedy and drama. I don't mind the humor in Ragnarok but I still find it baffling why they have to constantly undercut stuff that should be serious and menacing. The beginning with Surtur and near the end with him just seemed like really stupid times to be trying to be funny. The toilet humor was awful too. That stuff is never funny for me.

Still, the amount of violence in the film was welcoming, especially since we're dealing with the Goddess of Death here. Blanchett killed it. This also definitely had the best action of all three films. I'd probably give it a 7.
    Last edited by Saturius; 11-11-2017 at 03:34 PM.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I have mixed feelings about Thor: Ragnarok. It's a lot of fun, really well done, but it felt...insubstantial. A lot of stuff happened in this film that should have been an emotional gut punch but fell flat on that level. None of the dramatic moments got a chance to breathe. The SFX were great but just made me that much hungrier for more comic accurate characterizations. I mean, Surtur looked freaking awesome, but the film didn't take him or the end of all things very seriously.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I was really, really hoping we'd see a different incarnation of Hulk by the end of the film. I half-wondered if Banner or Hulk would make some kind of ill-advised deal with Loki to keep the other form at bay...and then we'd get Joe Fixit or something.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just got back from my viewing. It was really fun, but I couldn't help feeling that the plot could have been split between two movies. Having Hela as an antagonist and the word "Ragnarok" in the title definitely brings to mind something way more epic and serious/nightmare infused than what we got. Cate Blanchett is always great and she elevated the character, and even had some good bits of comedy, but there was not much for her to work with. Whatever successes Hela had were all due to her and not the writing.

The plot with the Grandmaster was entertaining as hell and the comedy worked great. Goldblum was hysterical, and Hemsworth is really good at comedic scenes. But it undercut the premise of the main story. I think a fun Thor movie on gladiator world and a darker movie with Hela bringing about the Norse apocalypse would have been better than smashing them into one.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I have mixed feelings about Thor: Ragnarok. It's a lot of fun, really well done, but it felt...insubstantial. A lot of stuff happened in this film that should have been an emotional gut punch but fell flat on that level. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    ... But it undercut the premise of the main story. I think a fun Thor movie on gladiator world and a darker movie with Hela bringing about the Norse apocalypse would have been better than smashing them into one.
    I agree. Some of the jokes are really funny, but they went overboard with it (imo). It becomes this odd mash-up of GotG and LotR. So, it's pretty fun, in parts, yet, mostly feels hollow-ish. Like cotton candy - tastes good, but not satisfying.

Mighty Member

I think.....Marvel have taken the success of GotG too far. Theyve decided that the way forward is lots of humour. But what works for one franchise doesnt necessarily work for all of them. I havent seen Ragnarok. This is for several reasons but mostly because the humour spoiled Thor 2 for me, I wanted something different and theyve chosen to go for all out comedy. What has surprised me however is how many people who enjoyed the film also expressed disappointment at the lack of substance to it -ironically apparently Waititi responded to a poster on twitter by telling them Ragnarok will be the "best film of the year". Perhaps the most popular....but being a box office success doesnt necessarily mean the best.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I think.....Marvel have taken the success of GotG too far. Theyve decided that the way forward is lots of humour. But what works for one franchise doesnt necessarily work for all of them. I havent seen Ragnarok. This is for several reasons but mostly because the humour spoiled Thor 2 for me, I wanted something different and theyve chosen to go for all out comedy. What has surprised me however is how many people who enjoyed the film also expressed disappointment at the lack of substance to it -ironically apparently Waititi responded to a poster on twitter by telling them Ragnarok will be the "best film of the year". Perhaps the most popular....but being a box office success doesnt necessarily mean the best.
    I would have liked if the space stuff (my favorte part of the movie) was Guardians-esque, but the Asgard stuff was uptight and serious. Cate Blanchet's character ws so badass, I heard a kid crying in the theater, like he was afraid. Then she ended up making a joke or two and the kid was all good. Screw that! Keep her scary!

It does for the company producing it. They don't care about your opinion, they care that their movie is getting very good reviews from nearly all the reviewers and making lots of money.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I agree. Some of the jokes are really funny, but they went overboard with it (imo). It becomes this odd mash-up of GotG and LotR. So, it's pretty fun, in parts, yet, mostly feels hollow-ish. Like cotton candy - tastes good, but not satisfying.
    Upon thinking about it more this morning, the more I feel kind of ripped off as far as my interest in the Ragnarok stuff generated from the trailer is concerned. The only bits of humor in the trailer I saw was Thor seeing Hulk and calling him a friend from work. I didn't know this thing was going to be a slapstick comedy for the entire duration, or that the Grandmaster plot would take up the majority of the film's runtime.

Like I said, I ended up being entertained by the movie while Thor was imprisoned, but the humor didn't work in stuff like that opening scene with Surtur (who is supposed to be kind of a big deal, both in the Marvel comics and the actual Norse myths, not a punchline).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    It does for the company producing it. They don't care about your opinion, they care that their movie is getting very good reviews from nearly all the reviewers and making lots of money.
    Which is fine until they make another one in exactly the same style and people dont like it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Upon thinking about it more this morning, the more I feel kind of ripped off as far as my interest in the Ragnarok stuff generated from the trailer is concerned. The only bits of humor in the trailer I saw was Thor seeing Hulk and calling him a friend from work. I didn't know this thing was going to be a slapstick comedy for the entire duration, or that the Grandmaster plot would take up the majority of the film's runtime.

Like I said, I ended up being entertained by the movie while Thor was imprisoned, but the humor didn't work in stuff like that opening scene with Surtur (who is supposed to be kind of a big deal, both in the Marvel comics and the actual Norse myths, not a punchline).
    Taika Waititi has made the film as he wanted it to be, and if a persons taste is the same as his its fine. But if his vision isnt the same as the person whos paid to see it, theyll end up disappointed. I felt the same about the X Men films- DoFP was a good film, no doubt about it. But it revolved around Magneto, Mystique and Xavier,and although I enjoyed First Class very much I didnt want another film about them. Apart from Wolverine the X Men were reduced to cameos where they all got killed off. Singer likes Charles and Erik and Lawrence is a big star so they were the main characters. Fine if they happen to be your favourites, so to speak, but not if they arent!!

The inherent problem with Hela in the film is that she's literally a universe away and is essentially doing nothing for the second act after her initial appearance. Plus, Thor and the gang get to Asgard a bit too easily. I think if they spent less time on Sakaar and perhaps showed them ending up in realms like Nidavellir or Alfheim it could've been as colorful and interesting rather than devoting so much time to Sakaar.

Which is fine until they make another one in exactly the same style and people dont like it.
    So far, that hasn't happened.