Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    So far, that hasn't happened.
    Not yet. Marvel think that everyone will love what they do regardless of how good it really is. Unfortunately that kind of arrogance often ends up shooting people in the foot. I hope that doesnt happen,because despite my disappointment in the direction theyve chosen to take the Thor films in they have produced some great movies. And I really dont want to see that all fall apart.

While I enjoyed the Thor: Ragnarok film it was a very different Thor. I have a review I did with my Total Geek Pals about the movie that I think you'll find interesting.

https://youtu.be/etCDDndR_gg
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Not yet. Marvel think that everyone will love what they do regardless of how good it really is. Unfortunately that kind of arrogance often ends up shooting people in the foot. I hope that doesnt happen,because despite my disappointment in the direction theyve chosen to take the Thor films in they have produced some great movies. And I really dont want to see that all fall apart.
    Where are you seeing Marvel being arrogant? And what makes you think that Marvel thinks the things you are saying they think? Is there an interview with Kevin Feige where he actually says "Everyone will love what we do, regardless of how good it really is"?

Marvel has found a money making formula and are sticking to it. You can pretty much expect quippiness from all characters, slapstick humor, CGI galore of action, subpar plot, and weak villains at this point. Their audience generally enjoys the stuff so it would only make sense to do the same thing. Unless the audience says differently, I doubt it'll change.
    Superhero shows are trash

I wouldn't call Hela or even the Gamemaster weak villains by any stretch. Hela might be the strongest yet.

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    I wouldn't call Hela or even the Gamemaster weak villains by any stretch. Hela might be the strongest yet.
    I can see how what I said was ambiguous. By weak, I mean poorly developed, not in terms of their actual strength. As I said before, she was introduced last minute by a dying Odin like "BTW, ya'll got a sister and she's the Goddess of Death! OK BYE NOW!" and then she comes in speaking in BS exposition like "I am HELA, true heir to the" blah blah blah. Not fleshed out and had to have Skurge be her exposition absorber the whole movie.
    Superhero shows are trash

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

I think.....Marvel have taken the success of GotG too far. Theyve decided that the way forward is lots of humour. But what works for one franchise doesnt necessarily work for all of them. I havent seen Ragnarok. This is for several reasons but mostly because the humour spoiled Thor 2 for me, I wanted something different and theyve chosen to go for all out comedy. What has surprised me however is how many people who enjoyed the film also expressed disappointment at the lack of substance to it -ironically apparently Waititi responded to a poster on twitter by telling them Ragnarok will be the "best film of the year". Perhaps the most popular....but being a box office success doesnt necessarily mean the best.
    Well, if you look at GotG, the first one was pretty light and mostly insubstantial, and then the sequel was just as funny but also had the most powerful emotional arc in the MCU. So there's plenty of room for them to tweak things a bit and dive deeper into the emotional side of things with Thor 4. All things considered, I vastly prefer the tone to be too light as opposed to oppressively dark. I think it's easier to shift into darker territory while keeping to the humorous tone than it is to accomplish the reverse. Just look at DC's difficulty in trying to re-brand Superman and Batman as optimistic heroes after Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Where are you seeing Marvel being arrogant? And what makes you think that Marvel thinks the things you are saying they think? Is there an interview with Kevin Feige where he actually says "Everyone will love what we do, regardless of how good it really is"?
    By having very little regard for long time fans - we had Quesada telling people if they didnt like what they were producing to go away, Rick Remender telling a fan to go and "die covered in hobo p***, and Waitit responding to one fans perfectly innocuous comment with a farting noise, classy not. A lot of fans actually asked Marvel to lessen up on the humour for Thor 3 - their response, hire a comedy director. Marvel seem committed to catering for a general audience in both movies and comics - fine, but it isnt really fair to throw away long time fans in the process; new fans are fickle, and all they need is one flop. They already seem to have one with the Inhumans.

The movie was super good way better than smhc and gog vol 2 it my be my 3ed or 4 fav mcu movie sun things I was not a fan of the humor did not work for me and sum of the cgi was allfull like hulk and the fire demon.
    Last edited by choptop; 11-13-2017 at 01:13 PM.

By having very little regard for long time fans - we had Quesada telling people if they didnt like what they were producing to go away, Rick Remender telling a fan to go and "die covered in hobo p***, and Waitit responding to one fans perfectly innocuous comment with a farting noise, classy not. A lot of fans actually asked Marvel to lessen up on the humour for Thor 3 - their response, hire a comedy director. Marvel seem committed to catering for a general audience in both movies and comics - fine, but it isnt really fair to throw away long time fans in the process; new fans are fickle, and all they need is one flop. They already seem to have one with the Inhumans.
    Most fans seemed to like the movie. This is a comicbook forum and negative reviews arent common. So by fans you mean they didnt listien to you and a small minority of ppl. Also Before Inhumans they had Ironfist but neither are made by Feige and his people. They are made by a competely seperate division.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    The movie was super good way better than smhc and gog vol 2 it my be my 3ed or 4 fav mcu movie sun things I was not a fan of the Hummer did not work for me and sum of the cgi was allfull like hulk and the fire demon.
    Pardon? 10chars

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Most fans seemed to like the movie. This is a comicbook forum and negative reviews arent common. So by fans you mean they didnt listien to you and a small minority of ppl. Also Before Inhumans they had Ironfist but neither are made by Feige and his people. They are made by a competely seperate division.
    Reminds me of the good olde days at school.....where if you didnt like the same things as everyone else you were "uncool"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Well, if you look at GotG, the first one was pretty light and mostly insubstantial, and then the sequel was just as funny but also had the most powerful emotional arc in the MCU. So there's plenty of room for them to tweak things a bit and dive deeper into the emotional side of things with Thor 4. All things considered, I vastly prefer the tone to be too light as opposed to oppressively dark. I think it's easier to shift into darker territory while keeping to the humorous tone than it is to accomplish the reverse. Just look at DC's difficulty in trying to re-brand Superman and Batman as optimistic heroes after Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman.
    You can blend both nicely, the did with Avengers and the first Thor, while the Captain America movies were more serious but did have moments of levity. I found this interesting:
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/film/...agnarok-jokes/

Astonishing Member

You're taking comments from people outside of Marvel studios from years ago to support your claims. Or taking a joke Waiti made and trying to cast it as contempt for the movie viewer.

And all of this overlooks the fact that Thor Ragnarok has gotten the best critical response of all the Thor movies and is one of the highest critically acclaimed movies to come out of Marvel Studios. It is also the most financially successful Thor movie, a feat it managed to do in less than 2 weeks in the US market. This hardly supports your statements that Marvel Studios believe "Everyone will love what they do, regardless of how good it really is."

I can def see the concern that Marvel movies are kinda melding into a comedic blob, with even less urgency than usual. I just hope Black Panther, Capt. Marvel, and Infinity War can rein it back. Right now the spectrum is getting a bit top heavy.

I remember thinking in the theater there was so much undercutting, why have such a huge threat such as Hela or the destruction of your realm at all. She almost seemed like a side note, idk I gotta rewatch this again.

I've never seen the lego movies, but from clips ive seen I feel like its basically that or just so close to that, they might as well have gone all the way; in terms of the heroes and villains being on the same comedic wavelength, that is.