Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

I was hoping this was shaping up to be a more "Thor" like film, but from the previews it seems as if they wanted to make a funny, colorful and self-deprecating romp. For my personal tastes I don't think that works with a character like Thor and his mythos, but I'm sure there will be plenty of fans. Seems like the title "Ragnarok" doesn't really mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I feel like I've been alone in not being excited about this movie. Everyone seems to be going crazy over the trailers while I didn't find them to be all that different than the rest of the Marvel movies. That's not to say that I'm not a fan of the Marvel movies, because that wouldn't be the case. I guess as a fan of mythology, I'm just kind of upset that a movie called Ragnarok seems like another Marvel joke fest.

That said, early reviews seem to be good, so I'll definitely go see it, but again, I'm still worried about tone.
    I'm 100% with you. I get it that they want to market the hell out of this film since Justice League is right around the corner as well, and they're hell bent on making Thor more "relatable." From what little I've seen from non-spoiler reviews, everyone is gushing over the actor's performances, the wackiness and the humor. Humor (especially self-deprecating) is Marvel's staple and I get it, but when you're talking about "Ragnarok" and Feige stressing it's the "most important Phase Three film", idk.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I was hoping this was shaping up to be a more "Thor" like film, but from the previews it seems as if they wanted to make a funny, colorful and self-deprecating romp. For my personal tastes I don't think that works with a character like Thor and his mythos, but I'm sure there will be plenty of fans. Seems like the title "Ragnarok" doesn't really mean anything.
    Sounds like a Marvel movie .

BANNED

I'm 100% with you. I get it that they want to market the hell out of this film since Justice League is right around the corner as well, and they're hell bent on making Thor more "relatable." From what little I've seen from non-spoiler reviews, everyone is gushing over the actor's performances, the wackiness and the humor. Humor (especially self-deprecating) is Marvel's staple and I get it, but when you're talking about "Ragnarok" and Feige stressing it's the "most important Phase Three film", idk.
    the soundtrack does more to diminish the scale of the theme than the humor, for me. Electric screeching is terribly out of place.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Are we talking, "No Luke, I am your father." level of spoilers?
    it's not clear, but it seems unlikely. The spoiler you mention affected the course of the entire franchise. This "spoiler" (calling it that is a stretch) is hardly likely to have much effect on the main plot of this single film.

Mighty Member

Agree 100%.For me personally I found the silly humour spoiled Dark World, but then again I rate Blood Brothers as my favourite Thor book so it speaks volumes for what I would want in a Thor film! I think a lot of die hard Thor fans will not like this movie, but it will be a massive hit because Hulk fans and kids will love it.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

To me, the Thor franchise has been a huge missed opportunity. The first film was fine: the character work was good, but the action was ho-hum. The second film was kinda the opposite: the action was good, but the character work was ho-hum.

What they should've done is use the second film to introduce Beta Ray Bill, focusing on their budding rivalry/brotherhood and building toward Surtur in a third film.

Here, it just seems like they're doing the exact opposite of The Dark World and hoping that it'll stick. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the movie will be fine (even though I'm still peeved that they're jamming Planet Hulk into a Thor movie, thoroughly bastardizing it in the process), and I am going to see it: I'm just not very excited about it, certainly not in comparison to Justice League.

But it's nice to hear that it's getting good reviews.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Agree 100%.For me personally I found the silly humour spoiled Dark World, but then again I rate Blood Brothers as my favourite Thor book so it speaks volumes for what I would want in a Thor film! I think a lot of die hard Thor fans will not like this movie, but it will be a massive hit because Hulk fans and kids will love it.
    Blood Brothers is also my favourite Thor book. I am disappointed we'll never get anything remotely close to that gravitas, especially with Hemsworth and Hiddleston in the roles who have fantastic chemistry as brothers. A shame for the missed opportunity.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 10-20-2017 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    (even though I'm still peeved that they're jamming Planet Hulk into a Thor movie, thoroughly bastardizing it in the process).
    You weren't going to get it at all otherwise.