Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Marvel would be mad to say no to them after this windfall. The director wants to do another, the star wants to do another, I've got to think Marvel will want to replicate to success of Ragnarok.

Extraordinary Member

Much better than Justice League.

Much.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Marvel would be mad to say no to them after this windfall. The director wants to do another, the star wants to do another, I've got to think Marvel will want to replicate to success of Ragnarok.
    I would think it's a no-brainer, but I don't know what their plans are for Thor in Infinity War.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

On another note, I think Hela is one of the better Marvel Studio villains. Her backstory is compelling, even if they don't do as much with it as they could. But this idea that she represents an imperialist ideology that Odin eventually outgrew is interesting. I hope Hela returns--and I suspect she might end up as Thanos' love interest.

BANNED

I really enjoyed the film, but I did think that combining the two storylines was a mistake: the Sakaar storyline was so much fun and had such energy that I loved every minute, whereas the Hela/Asgard stuff was neither serious enough to have any impact, or funny/entertaining enough to keep that good feeling going from the Sakaar scenes;
    I have to agree with this. I still maintain that the Sakaar storyline served no purpose other than to fill time before Thor met Hela. Some cute visuals if watching Thor and Hulk duke it out appeal to you (or watching them bond afterwards). But the primary story was the impending destruction of Asgard, and Sakaar was just a delaying tactic on the way there.

In hindsight, if they weren't going to do a true "ragnarok" story, but instead something that only affected Asgard, then I think it was poorly-served by having Asgard represented as a city rather than an entire world. The impact just isn't there. Despite a few handwaves toward scope in the dialog, the importance to the audience is lost, less even than "Oh, what if Oslo" was destroyed?" Just not stakes that are going to invest the audience for the most part (no offense to Oslo, which I've always wanted to visit).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Agreed. I think the film was really well executed on every level. Visually, it's stunning. Plot-wise, I think everything came together nicely, even if it was a bit slight in terms of emotional impact.

I hope the same creative team gets another Thor film.
    Yeah man everything doesn't need to be heavy. It's basically an unapologetic feel good movie and there's nothing wrong with that. Honestly those are the movies that get remembered years after. This is the first movie in a long time I plan on seeing a third time.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 11-16-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah man everything doesn't need to be heavy. It's basically an unapologetic feel good movie and there's nothing wrong with that. Honestly those are the movies that get remembered years after. This is the first movie in a long time I plan on seeing a third time.
    Never thought I'd hear someone say that about the 'end of all things'....

Thor: Ragnarok(which I saw in theaters last night) is indeed one of the better Marvel movies. It feels closer to the comics than most comic movies and I don't mean in a negative ways. In that it cuts away the unnecessary exposition bull**** and just go into it.

Going into it I was worried cause they mashed up two Marvel storylines(Planet Hulk and Ragnarok) and that somewhat feel like a copout cause you cannot fully explore one particular storyline to its fullest. Furthermore the movie from the trailers felt very comedic so not only you waste two great badass storylines but in the context of a comedy, you may as well call it "Marvel's fabulous hour".

But somehow the director made it all work. And it was great seeing Hulk finally acting like Hulk from the comics as well as him speaking. I like the little things like the images of seeing all the Valkyries attacking Hela. When they cast this new Valkyrie, I was worried they would replace the famous character from the comics, Brunhilde, the tall muscular tall blond hair woman that we know off, but no this was a new character and from the flashbacks, I saw a few tall blond women, especially one that sacrificed herself for the "angry woman" (Hulk speak).

This was a fun flick in the style of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but there were a tons of elements from Guardians that annoyed me, like the overblown ending while things in Thor just seemed to flow seemessly. Like all the elements came together like they should.

What failed to make a A and get a B + from me is a lack of drama and emotion. Take for instance how Thor easily defeats Surtur at the beginning. Surtur is supposed to be one of the most powerful force in the Universe. Odin somewhat "dying" is adressed like it was nothing. How did he die? No idea, we never see how that happened. Take Hulk, ever since Avengers, he's never been seen as a menace (other than when Scarlet Witch possessed him). In the comics if Thor had fought him in arena, Thor would have shat his pants, here you almost felt like Thor could beat him. When they were in close quarters speaking, it was fun, but Hulk just like just an angry kid. In the comics, even with the humor, there would be an air of menace. He's a monster, get it?

Also when Hela said that she helped Odin conquered everything and they slaughtered whole nations and now that Odin had the rewards and Asgard had the gold, he changed his mind. I would have loved that they would have delved deeper into it, showing a darker side of Odin.

But I cannot say any of that made me mad, the experience was just too much fun and they got a ton of things right (Fenris!). Still I would like to see a proper badass Ragnarok filmed on screen one day.

p.s. my biggest issue throughout the whole movie was how can the God of Thunder being stop by an electric device that gives him electric shocks? one moment he moves walls of an arena, the next he falls for a small electric shock? Couldn't the filmakers say that it was cosmic energy, at least? (since the Grandmaster is a cosmic being) How about a device that "creates small black holes"? lol
    Last edited by Da Boat; 11-18-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I would agree. It was a fun movie, and I think that's something the Thor films had been lacking. They have a lot of really charismatic actors in this series, and they finally let them all show it off, rather then just letting Loki get all the grade A material. It's also the first Thor film I didn't sleep through!

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...thor-ragnarok/

I absolutely do agree that the film was a bit lacking in emotion.

While I'm not sure anything would have been added to the film by, say, Thor standing there shouting "Noooooooo!!!!" spoilers:
    as the Warriors Three were unceremoniously offed, everyone does indeed seem remarkably chill about what would have to have been a significant death toll at the end of the movie - including three of Thor's closest friends (and although Thor wasn't there for their deaths, you think he would have asked afterwards). Hell, from my recollection of the first movie, they were friends of Loki, too, and as all the MCU films have demonstrated, Loki is capable of grief.
    end of spoilers

The one exception, really, are the scenes with Odin. Yes, they're brief. But I think the restraint with which they are handled actually adds to the effect. Having Odin say, simply, spoilers:
    "I love you, my sons", and the subtle impact that has upon both Thor and Loki, is worth more than any long maudlin scene of sadness. And the film (together with the first film, and ignoring The Dark World, where he's simply portrayed as a douchey repressive patriarch) retrospectively establishes Odin as one of the more interesting characters of the MCU. It's Wagner's Odin - someone who has attained power through brutality and deception, and after he achieves this, tries to rule with wisdom as well as guile. It was quite telling that Hela remarked that Loki "sounded like" Odin - of his two sons, it was the trickster who resembled him more closely.
    end of spoilers

Apologies, I haven't read all of the thread, so this might have already been mentioned, but did anyone else think that one particular scene in which Thor called lightning down was inspired by the similar scene with Gorr at the beginning of Aaron's run?
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 11-21-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Mighty Member

I think....much of the popularity of Thor Ragnarok is because we are currently living in some really depressing times, at least in the US and UK. As a result people wanted fun....and the film seems to offer exactly that. For some of us it's a disappointment, especially if, like me, you were hoping for an epic, LoTR type of story. But for those who simply want sheer excitement, it's a tonic. I chose not to see it for a number of reasons, mostly because I can't really see Thor as a comedy. But I like most of the cast, so it's great the film's been a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Take Hulk, ever since Avengers, he's never been seen as a menace (other than when Scarlet Witch possessed him). In the comics if Thor had fought him in arena, Thor would have shat his pants, here you almost felt like Thor could beat him.
    Thor and the Hulk are fairly evenly matched physically so I don't see why Thor would be scared of facing him in combat, and yes, it would totally be possible for Thor to beat Hulk, or vice-versa - it could go either way. As for Thor being scared of the Hulk, I don't think I've ever seen him scared of the Hulk in the comics, though he'd always respect him as a threat.

Mighty Member

Thor and the Hulk are fairly evenly matched physically so I don't see why Thor would be scared of facing him in combat, and yes, it would totally be possible for Thor to beat Hulk, or vice-versa - it could go either way. As for Thor being scared of the Hulk, I don't think I've ever seen him scared of the Hulk in the comics, though he'd always respect him as a threat.
    Well, Thor is a god. Wolverine isn't, but he wasn't afraid of the Hulk either!

Writers nerf Thor when he fights Hulk. Outside Thor has feats that put him above Hulk. In the MCU they made it clear physically Hulk was way stronger. Thor just taps into his god powers and turns the tide

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Well, Thor is a god. Wolverine isn't, but he wasn't afraid of the Hulk either!
    Thats cause Wolverine is stupid lol. In Planet Hulk everyone was shitting theyre pants(Thor was gone), and Namors in the back saying thats what you get dumbasses

Edit mean WWHulk buy evreryone on Saakar was shitting theyre pants too
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 11-21-2017 at 10:26 AM.