Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast
    Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Does that apply in the MCU? Ive never seen him get stronger as his anger ramps up in the MCU. I get the sense thor is the real powerhouse but Hulk is physically the strongest and maybe a little more durable. But i think god power thor was 5secs from putting hulk to sleep.. And im biased as a huge Hulk fan. BlackPanther/Superman/Hulk is my trinity.
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure they've ever said Hulk's power grows exponentially with his anger in the MCU.

Maybe it was mentioned in IH? Not sure. Been a long time since I saw that one.

It's hard for me to imagine Hulk's powers levels working any other way since it's so well established in the comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Now that I think about it, I'm not sure they've ever said Hulk's power grows exponentially with his anger in the MCU.

Maybe it was mentioned in IH? Not sure. Been a long time since I saw that one.

It's hard for me to imagine Hulk's powers levels working any other way since it's so well established in the comics.
    Seems like perhaps they made note of it in Ang Lee's Hulk. At least, he grew larger has he got angrier. At one point he was like 15 feet tall.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Seems like perhaps they made note of it in Ang Lee's Hulk. At least, he grew larger has he got angrier. At one point he was like 15 feet tall.
    I've only seen it once so my memory is hazy but that seems right. I think it was the film that dived the deepest into Hulk as the manifestation of Banner's personal demons and the reasons why his transformation was different than others with exposure to gamma radiation.

Hulk's size definitely grew as he angered in Ang Lee's version.

Two scenes that I recall: first, in front of the suburban house. I think this is where he appeared to be about 15 feet tall. The other was in the research facility in the 3rd act -- Talbot had the soldiers trap him in some uber weaponized military foam; hulk was pissed because he had no leverage and couldn't struggle but managed to free himself when he outgrew his trap and gained leverage.

And, no the anger issue has not been properly addressed in any other film appearance, unless I'm forgetting something from Norton's version.
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

At the very least, there's nothing that's deliberately contradicted 'the madder Hulk gets, the stronger he gets.'

The only way they can (seemingly) stop the Hulk in the MCU is to calm him down and thus force the transformation into Banner.

I think it was implied in his final fight with the Abomination, but not stated outright.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    AThe only way they can (seemingly) stop the Hulk in the MCU is to calm him down and thus force the transformation into Banner.
    Well, I think Thor: Ragnarok showed they can just sit down in a sauna and bond

Astonishing Member

Finally got to see it today. Lots of fun. Interesting seeing Valkyrie and Hela be essentially fusions of a bunch of characters.

Valkyrie certainly seemed to have a big basis on Hulk's wife Caiera in the comics. Her facial tattoo's and attitude and playfulness with him definitely played off Caiera. They even had the "dramatic" reveal of Bruce to her which mattered just about as much to Caiera "Oh OK. Moving on." It's hard to say if she is an interpretation of Brunhilde here or not since the other Valkyrie who died protecting her (and seemed to possibly be her girlfriend) certainly seemed a bit more like comics Valkyrie. Of course movies have done that in the past plenty of times (I remember laughing at the recent Annie movie doing something similar).

Hela of course seems to have a few characters mixed around with the obvious being Angela as Thor's sister as the biggest with a little bit of Enchantress' role with Skurge. So I guess Angela's not making it to the screen any time soon.

I wonder just how long Hulk has been on Sakaar here. Two years passed outside but it seems like more time likely happened to Hulk.

While I can't blame them it's a bit weird seeing no one wished to join with Hela. I know she's not exactly a nice ruler but the first Thor movie certainly made the Asgardians seem pretty blood thirsty. I wonder if a nicer way would've worked? Haha. I mean if Asgardians once followed Odin and were fine with the carnage it's a little weird to see no one wish to join Hela.

And while Skurge was fun it's a bit weird the way he was set up. His whole moment of battle from the comics was so epic because up to that point he'd only ever been an antagonist. The film version was clearly nothing of a bad guy. If anything it's only surprising he stayed so complacent so long.

BANNED

Got bored tonight and against my better judgement went to see it again. I was hoping the first experience was just me having a bad day or something, but nope. Still didn't care for the movie.

Nearly everything about it - the comedy, the winks, the music, even the story - lacked the grandeur and scope of the previous films. Say what you will about The Dark World, you at least had a sense that the entire Nine Realms was at stake. This just felt like a small city was in danger. They kept talking about how much stronger Hela was getting, but nothing ever actually showed it. She seemed no stronger at the end than the beginning. Even before Thor tapped into his god powers, he put up a stronger fight against her than at the beginning of the movie. It seemed also like Thor was spending way too much effort to get the wrong hero to return with him - I had the feeling Doctor Strange could have dealt with Hela with a small off-handed gesture.

Hela paraded around with a bit of evil majesty, but then was given lines like "You seem like an enterprising individual. Want a job?" Yeah, everything about that line just screams Asgardian Goddess of Death. What's with Valkyrie catwalking into fierce battle on the rainbow bridge?

And I still say that the entire time spent on Sakaar was simply a cover for not having enough of a real story to build an entire movie on. The Grand Master plot did absolutely nothing to advance the point of the story - the coming of Ragnarok.

This just didn't work for me on pretty much every level.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Thor and the Hulk are fairly evenly matched physically so I don't see why Thor would be scared of facing him in combat, and yes, it would totally be possible for Thor to beat Hulk, or vice-versa - it could go either way. As for Thor being scared of the Hulk, I don't think I've ever seen him scared of the Hulk in the comics, though he'd always respect him as a threat.
    But in the comics, not only Hulk has always been the most powerful super-hero of Marvel, not only Thor had to rely on having his powerful hammer to even things out, but when Thor and Hulk fought, Hulk came off as this scary threat that Thor had to be overcome. In Thor 3, it felt like just two good buddies having a wrestling match. Remember the times Hulk fought the entire Avengers teams and Thor was part of those teams.

But I think I figured out the biggest reason why Hulk came off as less intimidating and that was because of his size. In the movie Hulk came off as much bigger physically than in the comics. So if in the comics both guys have similar strenght(until Hulk gets mad) and Hulk is a little bit bigger, it's fine, but in the movie they have similar strenght yet Hulk is much bigger so he comes as far weaker. It reminded me of the Batman/Superman animated movie when Supergirl tossed around Darkseid, Darkseid came off far weaker than he usually did cause his opponant weighted like 115 pounds and he's a giant.

Hulk getting stronger as he gets angrier is stated outright in a deleted scene in The Incredible Hulk, but I'm not sure if that can really be considered canon. I think he's shown it though, both in AoU and Ragnarok, where he starts to get the uppe rhand on the Hulkbuster after getting his tooth knocked out and then when he catches the gladiator hammer/club that Thor swings at him. It's hard to tell though, just because movies are so incredibly bad at maintaining strength/speed/power levels in fights even in non-superhero movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Hulk getting stronger as he gets angrier is stated outright in a deleted scene in The Incredible Hulk, but I'm not sure if that can really be considered canon. I think he's shown it though, both in AoU and Ragnarok, where he starts to get the uppe rhand on the Hulkbuster after getting his tooth knocked out and then when he catches the gladiator hammer/club that Thor swings at him. It's hard to tell though, just because movies are so incredibly bad at maintaining strength/speed/power levels in fights even in non-superhero movies.
    In the movies, a fight between two indestructible characters is always going to come down to them both being indestructible. The only surprise is how long they are going to drag out the scene before calling a draw. It's why I don't get very excited about hero fights.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    But in the comics, not only Hulk has always been the most powerful super-hero of Marvel, not only Thor had to rely on having his powerful hammer to even things out, but when Thor and Hulk fought, Hulk came off as this scary threat that Thor had to be overcome. In Thor 3, it felt like just two good buddies having a wrestling match. Remember the times Hulk fought the entire Avengers teams and Thor was part of those teams.

But I think I figured out the biggest reason why Hulk came off as less intimidating and that was because of his size. In the movie Hulk came off as much bigger physically than in the comics. So if in the comics both guys have similar strenght(until Hulk gets mad) and Hulk is a little bit bigger, it's fine, but in the movie they have similar strenght yet Hulk is much bigger so he comes as far weaker. It reminded me of the Batman/Superman animated movie when Supergirl tossed around Darkseid, Darkseid came off far weaker than he usually did cause his opponant weighted like 115 pounds and he's a giant.
    Superhero fights are kind of weird. When I use to read a lot of marvel cap rarely if ever got his ass handed to him no matter who he was fighting. And hero's like vision or Martian manhunter should never lose. Anyone that can phase and re arrange someone's internal organs should beat everyone. Thor, hulk, superman ect

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Superhero fights are kind of weird. When I use to read a lot of marvel cap rarely if ever got his ass handed to him no matter who he was fighting. And hero's like vision or Martian manhunter should never lose. Anyone that can phase and re arrange someone's internal organs should beat everyone. Thor, hulk, superman ect
    I mean giving MM phasing powers is a little unfair. He already has Superman-level strenght. lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    I mean giving MM phasing powers is a little unfair. He already has Superman-level strenght. lol
    Yea plus the dude has psy powers to boot!