Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
    You weren't going to get it at all otherwise.
    Truth told? I'd be ok with that, especially since the story loses some of its potency when you don't have World War Hulk to follow it up.

*Edit* I was disappointed in the animated adaptation for this reason, too.
    Last edited by Sam Robards, Comic Fan; 10-20-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

I was a little worried about the Thor film, because IMO at least it was one of the weaker links in the MCU and it was going up against Justice League. But from the sounds of the reviews at least, Thor is coming out strong. Nice to see marvel isn't just coasting on it's previous sucess and is really swinging for the fences every time they're up to bat.

Hopefully I enjoy the film as much as the critics seem to, because they make it sound like a lot of fun.

Ultimate Member

So it sounds like: spoilers:
    Hela: Cate is great (no surprise there), but perhaps doesn't get enough screentime or stuff to do (which also wouldn't be that surprising given Marvel's track record). Again hopefully she's not a one and done villain.

Lady Sif/The Warriors Three: I've given up on them ever being treated with respect/given anything of note to do in these movies.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Hela: Cate is great (no surprise there), but perhaps doesn't get enough screentime or stuff to do (which also wouldn't be that surprising given Marvel's track record). Again hopefully she's not a one and done villain.

Lady Sif/The Warriors Three: I've given up on them ever being treated with respect/given anything of note to do in these movies.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'm assuming Hela will be Thanos love interest or whatever in Infinity War, because Death as an abtract being in the movie would probably be confusing and weird to non comic fans.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    Truth told? I'd be ok with that, especially since the story loses some of its potency when you don't have World War Hulk to follow it up.

*Edit* I was disappointed in the animated adaptation for this reason, too.
    Well honestly, you don't KNOW whether you're going to get World War Hulk yet...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    spoilers:
    I'm assuming Hela will be Thanos love interest or whatever in Infinity War, because Death as an abtract being in the movie would probably be confusing and weird to non comic fans.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Especially since they've done absolutely nothing to set up/hint at the presence of Mistress Death in the MCU thus far (aside from a throwaway line in TA mid-credits scene).
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Blood Brothers is also my favourite Thor book. I am disappointed we'll never get anything remotely close to that gravitas, especially with Hemsworth and Hiddleston in the roles who have fantastic chemistry as brothers. A shame for the missed opportunity.
    Ive just read some more reviews, and all seem to have three things in common: .1. The critics think the sun shines out of the directors ....mouth 2. The film is an out and out send up 3. The critics have little time for comic book movies unless they are extracting the urine out of themselves. Which is odd as not so long ago they were praising the gravitas of films like The Dark Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Ive just read some more reviews, and all seem to have three things in common: .1. The critics think the sun shines out of the directors ....mouth 2. The film is an out and out send up 3. The critics have little time for comic book movies unless they are extracting the urine out of themselves. Which is odd as not so long ago they were praising the gravitas of films like The Dark Knight.
    I personally think a lot of critics and general audience members see comic book characters as inherently goofy on some level and just want a fun film. Now a few break that mold like Batman who are more rooted in reality than the fantastic. The Nolan films were so grounded that the WB was considering a Justice League film at that time and it was going to have it's own Batman because no one could picture Nolan's Dark Knight in a world with actual Superheroes.

Mighty Member

end of spoilers
    Does anyone know if Sif and the Warriors 3 are in it at all?

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Does anyone know if Sif and the Warriors 3 are in it at all?
    Sif isn't, but I'm 100% sure the Warriors Three each have a small appearance in the movie.

Ultimate Member

spoilers:
    From what I've heard, they get killed by Hela. So yeah, strike three as far as using them well in these films.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sif isn't, but I'm 100% sure the Warriors Three each have a small appearance in the movie.
    Hmmm.....I guess Valkyrie has such an ego there is no room for any other female - unless shes a villain !

Mighty Member

spoilers:
    From what I've heard, they get killed by Hela. So yeah, strike three as far as using them well in these films.
    end of spoilers
    I guess the director really does want to erase the two previous films. He may be the best thing since sliced bread, but I am really starting to dislike him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I personally think a lot of critics and general audience members see comic book characters as inherently goofy on some level and just want a fun film. Now a few break that mold like Batman who are more rooted in reality than the fantastic. The Nolan films were so grounded that the WB was considering a Justice League film at that time and it was going to have it's own Batman because no one could picture Nolan's Dark Knight in a world with actual Superheroes.
    Critics like how the Marvel films are self-deprecating and that they don't take their subject matter too seriously. Humor is the most appealing marketing strategy. Because they're films you can take your girlfriend/wife as well as kids to. Mass appeal = big bucks.

It's also why they never liked Thor out of the Avengers. Not "rooted in reality" as you said, even though he's an extra-dimensional space god who travels through various dimensions and has incredible powers. I imagine if the first Thor film was made in the last 2-3 years where Marvel's budget is virtually limitless, there'd be a lot more room for action as opposed to the 2011 film where their budget was considerably more limited.

Mighty Member

I actually wish Branagh could have been persuaded to come back - I would have liked to see what he would have made of the Dark World. This film, I think, will be a massive hit but I suspect not with Thor fans. I just cant understand why they seem to have decided to out and out parody the Thor franchise - it could have been a LoTR or GoT style epic; instead we get a comedy with,if Empire review is anything to go by, toilet humour. Once again Marvel are sticking two fingers up at long time comic book fans. What have we done to them, I wonder - except give them our money.