Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What Are Some Good (and recent) Black Widow Runs?

I liked Waid & Samnee's Black Widow series.

I liked most of Edmondson's & Noto's Black Widow run before that (though the last two issues of Last Days tying into Secret Wars were a waste)

And going back a bit, the Marjorie Liu & Daniel Acuña five-issue arc (from 2010) was also great.

She also was featured in Ed Brubaker's Winter Soldier run (though Brubaker really messed with Widow's mind in that). What are some other worthwhile Black Widow runs from the past few years?

No other suggestions?
    No other storylines where Natasha played a significant role that are worth mentioning?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I liked those two - and completely agree with your point about the Last Days issues. Ugh. I didn't even buy them, even though I bought every other issue.

I love Ellis's arc on Secret Avengers - Widow was a major player there, and her solo issue was one of the BEST Widow issues I've ever read.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member

You had mentioned it already but I really liked the Edmondson/Noto run, so much I didn't really give her following solo a chance. I'll probably pick up one of trades soon since I've heard it's very good.

If you haven't I given the Samnee/Waid run a shot you're missing out. It's the Black Widow movie we need.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No other suggestions?
    No other storylines where Natasha played a significant role that are worth mentioning?

Brubaker's Captain America, Secret Avengers and Winter Soldier series..

For fun...
    Spidey: Ends of The Earth
    Last edited by Winterboy; 10-11-2017 at 12:32 PM.
    "Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Even though she's been around for so long, she's not all that big a character. I can't say there's much more to expect when it comes to recent.

The most obvious might be the work from Richard K. Morgan, and if you read the Liu story then I'd finish the brief title up to Widowmaker. I definitely recommend the Deadly Origin story from Cornell, Raney, and Leon. BW and the Marvel Girls was alright, but I haven't read it since it came out and can't remember much at all.

I started out as a Natasha fan and came to prefer Yelena, personally. Diggle's Thunderbolts had a good chunk of story between those two.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I started out as a Natasha fan and came to prefer Yelena, personally. Diggle's Thunderbolts had a good chunk of story between those two.
    Diggle is one of my favorite writers, ever. That "Genetic Camouflage" idea was brilliant.

Warren Ellis' Endless Wartime

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Brubaker's Captain America, Secret Avengers and Winter Soldier series.
    Own most of his Captain America run (mostly in tpb) and have the Brubaker Winter Soldier tpb collection, but not Secret Avengers (yet).

Ales Kot and Michael Walsh's Secret Avengers is a funny reading...

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Another vote for Edmondson & Noto here. I actually liked their run better than Waid & Samnee, which I dropped after a few issues. I'll probably check the rest out in trade eventually, though.

Prior to that, the last time I really liked Natasha was during Harras' Avengers run in the 90's...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Another vote for Edmondson & Noto here. I actually liked their run better than Waid & Samnee, which I dropped after a few issues. I'll probably check the rest out in trade eventually, though.

Prior to that, the last time I really liked Natasha was during Harras' Avengers run in the 90's...

We need a Complete Collection ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Docz View Post
    You had mentioned it already but I really liked the Edmondson/Noto run, so much I didn't really give her following solo a chance. I'll probably pick up one of trades soon since I've heard it's very good.
    Playing devils advocate here: I'll say you didn't miss out on anything worthwhile with the Samnee/waid run.

Her characterisation was all over the place, some twists and turns s felt out of place or had underwhelming pay-offs and while Samnee is a good storyteller with his art, it doesn't look overly appealing when it comes to faces.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Winterboy View Post
    Ales Kot and Michael Walsh's Secret Avengers is a funny reading...

A play on the previous Hawkeye scene in his own book by Fraction & Aja?

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No other suggestions?

I think the problem is that you said "recent" but already named the the best runs from the last few years. If we can go back a little further, I'd like to recommend "Itsy Bitsy Spider" by Devin Grayson and JG Jones

Last edited by ed2962; 10-11-2017 at 05:45 PM.