Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Im a big Carrie Fisher fan, her post Star Wars work, her writing

im going to have feelings seeing Leia on screen for presumably the last time

The First Order's sort of what's left of the Imperial military after their last big battle (at Jakku, hence all the wreckage there). They basically got out of there and rebuilt in secret for decades (including using funds from crime groups and Republic spies)....although granted, a lot of that's not really mentioned in the movie. Then again, the exact origin of the Empire wasn't really brought up in the first movies either; just Vader's role in it really.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Dude really? Straight down to calling me a racist cause for once, just for once, i would like to have a main character who doesn't use a lightsaber?

Having a bad day or something? Wanna talk about it?
    Oh don't mind it he claimed the same thing about me in the Star Trek Discovery Thread when I said we shouldn't trust the ravings of one character in TOS who was clearly mentally unbalanced that there was no female Captains in that era.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Going by interviews, Mark Hamill didn't initially agree with some decisions regarding Luke's character either. It sounds like he was eventually won over and is excited by the direction things are going.
    I hope so but when he was telling the press he didn't agree with Luke's direction was around the same time he was doing a PA with Kathleen Kennedy and he was saying the news films are really about him and he doesn't do much and mid sentence Kennedy cut him off and said you do a lot. So some of me wonders did he come around or got the talk.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Like she's reliving the last movie in some fashion, regardless if the Kylo clip is connected to it?

I'm pretty sure that the point of the last scene is to get people wondering just what the heck is going to happen, so I could very well see them creating something that'll get a reaction, esp. since the main one seems to be: "Will Rey join the First Order?"

The voiceover of Rey saying she needs to be shown her place in all of it could very easily have come from a scene with Luke (her explaining why she needs to learn from him), not Kylo. Not sure what the context of Kylo sticking his hand will be in the climax, but that could easily be setting up him defecting, not Rey (I don't want either to defect, but better Kylo than Rey). However, at this point, I don't think we have enough info to make accurate speculations. After all, the trailers for the previous movies had a lot of misleading elements in them, so it's a good bet that this one does too.
    Well, the director and actress both said they'll be using the Force Flashback ability again.

Also, the last trailer had some moments we all thought meant Luke was saying goodbye or something completely different than what happened.

I'd say the trailer deliverer on getting us to speculate!

I just hope they don't wuss out and play safe. All signs are pointing they're going in a different direction.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The First Order's sort of what's left of the Imperial military after their last big battle (at Jakku, hence all the wreckage there). They basically got out of there and rebuilt in secret for decades (including using funds from crime groups and Republic spies)....although granted, a lot of that's not really mentioned in the movie. Then again, the exact origin of the Empire wasn't really brought up in the first movies either; just Vader's role in it really.
    And honestly, for what the Star Films are, it's not that necessary. Sometimes it's best not to overthink these things, or to leave it to the audience's imagination.

Incredible Member Robotech Master's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Emphasis on the 'sort of.' There actually are remnants of the Imperial Military *from* the battle of Jakku that followed the Grand Admiral from that battle into the unknown regions, where she discovered an Executor-class Super Star Destroyer that had been assumed destroyed years ago, and she planned to rebuild the Empire using that as a starting point. But that entire plot thread has not been followed up on yet. So its possible there are other resurgent Empire cells in the Galaxy, and the First Order may have built its numbers up with what are essentially Imperial fanboys and terrorists, spurred on by Snoke.

I recall being hyped after seeing the trailer for the TFA only to be utterly disappointed by the film itself. With the Last Jedi I'm not hyped in any way shape or form so when the movie lets me down it won't sting as much.
    Somewhere, a nerd cries. I feel nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
    Emphasis on the 'sort of.' There actually are remnants of the Imperial Military *from* the battle of Jakku that followed the Grand Admiral from that battle into the unknown regions, where she discovered an Executor-class Super Star Destroyer that had been assumed destroyed years ago, and she planned to rebuild the Empire using that as a starting point
    That's a pretty cool backstory. Kinda give me an Imperial Remnants, Pentastar, warlords feeling.

Lot of potential in that outside of the very bleak "first order". (no shipping cost)

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    That's a pretty cool backstory. Kinda give me an Imperial Remnants, Pentastar, warlords feeling.

Lot of potential in that outside of the very bleak "first order". (no shipping cost)
    First Order is also more of the religious zealots than just plain old Empire remnants. Hence why the focus on conditioning members.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    First Order is also more of the religious zealots than just plain old Empire remnants. Hence why the focus on conditioning members.
    Hux seems kind of fanatical

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    Hux seems kind of fanatical
    Yeah, I want to see him unload.

Same with Kylo.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeonsSilverStar View Post
    I recall being hyped after seeing the trailer for the TFA only to be utterly disappointed by the film itself. With the Last Jedi I'm not hyped in any way shape or form so when the movie lets me down it won't sting as much.
    TPM, i can hear you knocking... damn, it has almost been 20 years. mesaa getting old
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Mistakes have been made, but I wouldn't say they're 'miserable failures.' If you go that far you're basically holding them accountable for circumstances that are largely outside their control. They can guide but they can't control others. Ben Solo made the decision to turn to the Dark Side of the Force, not Han and Leia or Luke. And Leia can't single-handedly control the political landscape, because that would be everything they fought to oppose. The people and their elected leaders are free to make their own mistakes, and clearly they have with regard to The First Order, in spite of Leia's attempts to warn them.
    Luke Han and Chewie went into exile out of shame. Han is dead. The first order is still kicking, Luke's attempt to rebuild the jedi fell on it's ass, from what we know about the new republic that it apparently sucks, ....do they have anything good going for them? Is the galaxy a better place after all their hard work to take down Palpatine?
    As for the Ben thing, Luke was his mentor, Han and Leila his parents, if they had that big a role in his life, then what happened to him is hardly 'out of their control', so if he turned out to be a monster, then that means they failed at their job. I'm just saying it's hard to root for the good guys, when they had their chance to set up a better government and better galaxy, but they mucked it up, and basically ended up the exact same way Yoda and Obi-Wan did. Yeah it's Snoke's fault, and more than likely Ben being a bad seed to begin with, they failed but they still failed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInvisibleMan View Post
    but it seems like the First Order is basically a free floating militia, they don't hold any systems or are in government like the Empire were
    then why is the resistance called the resistance, if the First Order's got nothing? If that's the case then the First Order should be the Resistance.
    Last edited by FishyZombie; 10-11-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    If that's the case then the First Order should be the Resistance.
    It could have been interesting to see an inversion of power, the imperial remnants assuming a more rebellion approach and the new republic being the powerhouse.