Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

All opinions by definition are biased.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Most of these channels are either on a personal crusade/agenda or just riding the latest wave of outrage to increase views of their videos. And I say this as someone who probably agrees with the general take of the state or Marvel these days, but watching those videos will leave someone with a very one-sided take on things.
    Last edited by cranger; 10-10-2017 at 11:11 AM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Fair point, I suppose extremely bias and negative would be a better term.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Another week, another "What's wrong with Marvel?" thread posted by a brand new member. Wow!

You'd think that anyone who genuinely wanted to bring their thoughts to the conversation would just add their thoughts to the many pre-existing threads on these boards dealing with the same exact same subject. But whatever.

And if you want to talk about great Marvel runs like these:

You can add:

Slott on ASM
    Slott on Silver Surfer
    Duggan on Deadpool
    Duggan on Uncanny Avengers (and people really need to start paying more attention to his GotG run)
    Aaron on The Mighty Thor
    Spencer on Captain America (both Sam and Steve)
    Bendis on The Defenders (maybe early to say but so far it feels like a classic run in the making)
    Lemire on Old Man Logan (and now Brisson)
    Brisson on Iron Fist
    Thompson on Hawkeye

Also have to give a shout out to Becky Cloonan's underrated Punisher run that's due to wrap up soon and Charles Soule's also somewhat underappreciated Daredevil run.

Sigh, you... . This is a forum, you cant expect it to be an echo chamber of how awesome current Marvel is. In nthe DC boards there is peopleunhappy people everytime, but nobody try to shut them down .
    Is this is the way you welcome a new member, dont expect much of them . An about those yutube channels, i will not defend them, there is some dosis of baiting with them, but they would not exist without wacthers. And people watch them, welll, when you alienate a big part of your audience, when people, or even supossed proffesionnal writers, call you sexist o racist so easily instead of discuss quality, well, the insulted people will go anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Most of these channels are either on a personal crusade/agenda or just riding the latest wave of outrage to increase views of their videos. And I say this as someone who probably agrees with the general take of the state or Marvel these days, but watching those videos will leave someone with a very one-sided take on things.
    That's an excellent point; however, it's up to the individual to decide if they enjoy the content or not, and whether they want varied opinions in the media they consume. Let's not reject someone's point of view out of hand because they don't share your (royal you) enthusiasm of Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Fair point, I suppose extremely bias and negative would be a better term.
    I admittedly don't watch their videos, but instead of simply taking your word, I'll go look at a few and decide for myself. Of course, you could be entirely correct, I'll see one way or the other.

Incredible Member

CaptC - not sure what the contradiction you're referring to but that's by the by. This isn't a DC v Marvel thing. Just general observations. when i say "self contained" mean things like Jessica Jones current book. Yes she's in The Defenders but her book is quite focused. While i'm probably doing a bad job explaining it but think you should be able to see what i mean...least on the surface.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I watch Diversity and Comics and Capn Cummings and it doesn't feel like they're biased. They just like to roast bad books. I wouldn't have known of Tamaki's Supergirl book and the new Punisher spin-off if not for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    CaptC - not sure what the contradiction you're referring to but that's by the by. This isn't a DC v Marvel thing. Just general observations. when i say "self contained" mean things like Jessica Jones current book. Yes she's in The Defenders but her book is quite focused. While i'm probably doing a bad job explaining it but think you should be able to see what i mean...least on the surface.
    My point is that your liking of self-contained series doesn't go with what DC's Rebirth (which you say is done right) is. Rebirth has threads going from book to book.

I agree that this shouldn't be a Marvel vs DC fight. But the companies currently have different attitudes here with series. I have my preference, but I'm not saying it's better than the other or that someone else should like what I like.

Astonishing Member

From my own perspective I don't mind a change in writer after an arc

I much prefer an artist stick with a book for the long haul, even if there not my thing I can get used to them

I'm thinking Ron lim on silver surfer, Gary frank on hulk, maybe not for everyone but at least the books had a consistent look, I knew what I was getting

Changes in artist after a short run rather than quality of art is what irritates me and causes me to drop a book

Extraordinary Member

That's an excellent point; however, it's up to the individual to decide if they enjoy the content or not, and whether they want varied opinions in the media they consume. Let's not reject someone's point of view out of hand because they don't share your (royal you) enthusiasm of Marvel.
    My other post was horribly worded. I actually meant to say that I agree with some of the things that D&C criticises Marvel for, not that I am a fan of Marvel, but that watching his videos won't tell you what is wrong with Marvel, just what his problems are with Marvel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I watch Diversity and Comics and Capn Cummings and it doesn't feel like they're biased. They just like to roast bad books. I wouldn't have known of Tamaki's Supergirl book and the new Punisher spin-off if not for them.
    I used to watch Capn's channel way back in the day before too much YouTube drama took over most of the channels and I gave up on them. I personally like him and he can be a very entertaining, and impartial, reviewer. I recently decided to check out the YouTube comic community again, and this whole "*** Marvel" thing he has latched onto has taken away from what I liked before. Even times where I agree with some of his rants, I find myself shaking my head at some of the ways he misinterprets things just to be outraged by something.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    My point is that your liking of self-contained series doesn't go with what DC's Rebirth (which you say is done right) is.
    Ah. got you. that said i did qualify it - "seem to be getting things right for the most part." again splitting hairs. i'll define King's Mister Miracle (granted only 2 issues so far), All-Star Batman, The Wild Storm and even to some extent Deathstroke as self contained.

Anyways, what're you reading these days?

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    My other post was horribly worded. I actually meant to say that I agree with some of the things that D&C criticises Marvel for, not that I am a fan of Marvel, but that watching his videos won't tell you what is wrong with Marvel, just what his problems are with Marvel.

I used to watch Capn's channel way back in the day before too much YouTube drama took over most of the channels and I gave up on them. I personally like him and he can be a very entertaining, and impartial, reviewer. I recently decided to check out the YouTube comic community again, and this whole "*** Marvel" thing he has latched onto has taken away from what I liked before. Even times where I agree with some of his rants, I find myself shaking my head at some of the ways he misinterprets things just to be outraged by something.
    I don't think everything Marvel is publishing today is garbage- just a vast majority of it. I've been with Marvel since '04, and I've been collecting new issues and trades, and Marvel is weaker now than ever. All of that is just my opinion of course, but I don't see how anyone can look at Marvel as a whole and think that they're doing fine.

The X-Men, one of their pillars, have been aimless since AvX; Hickman's Avengers saga was great, but everything after has been a mess.

What about their solo books?

Hydra-Cap was a poorly handled, bad idea; Iron Man was setup as the future of the MU only to have everything that makes him interesting taken away, ultimately being usurped by a sociopath- and Doom; Thor is admittedly still good, but the book used to be great; every change that people enjoyed about Slott's Spiderman is ultimately taken back; nothing interesting has happened with Cho Hulk; Clint's Hawkeye keeps getting crap to build up Kate's poor Hawkeye, and that one is especially sad because they were great together; I could go on.

The X-books' few solos and events weren't/aren't immune: Logan's death was meaningless, since we ultimately had numerous analogues running around; the O5 are garbage and have overstayed their welcome; Cyclops was killed in a dumpster fire of a miniseries; Emma was written as a one-dimensional villian in IvX when in fact the Inhumans are the biggest villains the X-Men had faced in a long time; there's plenty to point out.

tl;dr Marvel isn't doing fine, and it's fair to point it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
    I think the issue I have is not with his writing but the over all direction he’s taking him in. Just not to my taste. As mentioned Horizon Labs (can’t remember if it was Slott)? Good move. Shoulda run with it.
    I agree with that. If Peter stayed there for two decades, "Peter Parker, scientist at Horizon Labs" may have gooetn as iconic as "Peter Parker, freelance for the Daily Buggle"
    But the sad state of today comics is that writers always need to shake the keys over the readers' heads to keep them interested.

Nah, this question's boring. Let's ask a much more important question: What is the deal with airline food?

(For the record, Marvel having a lot of cash on hand actually is exactly why they try so many books. It's something that goes back all the way to the '60s, once they got out of the restriction DC put on the number of titles Marvel could publish each month. It's nothing to do with the MCU, which has no financial bearing on the publishing division at all. It's a result of Marvel's publishing division simply making more money than DC's publishing division, giving Marvel that extra little bit more room to experiment. And in terms of Marvel's current quality, Black Bolt. The opening arc of Mariko Tamaki's Hulk run has stuck with me in a way few comics have, and the second arc, while less strong, was still good. I'm finding Coates' Black Panther really smart stuff. Ms. Marvel is one of the great teen hero comics. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is an eternal delight. So is Moon Girl. Thompson's Hawkeye is stellar. All-New Wolverine is one of my all-time favourite Wolverine runs. Unbelievable Gwenpool took a stupid concept and turned it into one of the most genuinely thoughtful meta-textual comics out there. Marvel's got tons of high-quality comics. Some stuff that I would rank as being some of the highest-quality work Marvel's ever put out. But they spent two years with a black guy as Captain America so clearly everything Marvel's putting out is utter garbage that no one should read.)