Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

It sure is lonely being a person who actually likes the way Marvel is going right now simply because the few books that they do read (books that have been roasted as "bad" on places like D&C) are actually enjoyable.

I could go into a deep debate about all this but instead all I will say is that for the most part, I am enjoy Marvel and will continue buying their books because of that. Is it perfect? No, there are issue that need to be dealt with (Events, how characters are treated, lack of development with older characters etc) but I doubt there will ever be an age of books where everyone agrees its perfect.

For the record, even if the quality at Marvel sunk then I would simply cut down to my 'must have' books. I would not jump over to DC because, outside of a few characters, I just much prefer the Marvel world and cast, even when they are not at their best.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Avoid these channels like the plague, nothing to offer but bias opinions.
    Yeah, I stay far away from any comics-related YubTub channels. Its one thing to listen to constructive criticisms of those you disagree with, its another to endure 10 mins of hateful shouting. If people find them useful then, fair enough. I just hope they also try some of the discredited books themselves rather then just blindly follow the loudest voice.
    Last edited by Valamist; 10-11-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Whatever Marvel's problems, I think things will get better. If not, well they'll always be comics I enjoy, no use worrying about what their problems are.

I have more than a few issues with Marvel myself, but they still release quite a bit of good stuff. No publisher is 100% terrible. Jane as Thor? It was promoted in a gimmicky, pandering way but was actually really good. Ms. Marvel was a breath of fresh air when she was released. The Soule Inhumans stuff was great, though clearly Marvel was trying to make them a success at the expense of the X-Men because of movie rights.

But there is a lot of crap being published. And Marvel creators are free to have their opinions, but more than a few of them have turned me off buying their products due to their behaviour on social media. NOT the opinions they hold, but the way in which they treat people. And Marvel editorial just seems so disingenuous. They treat diversity like a marketing gimmick and hire minority writers for headlines then don't support them or help them improve. And it *is* tokenism to only hire black people to write black characters, gay people to write gay characters, etc. Let a straight black woman write a Iceman. Let a Hispanic man write Captain Marvel. Actually be progressive. Marvel is talking the talk but not walking the walk.

But, again, in regards to quality? Marvel editorial is clearly acting like DC during the lowest points of the New 52 and interfering in storytelling. And the event fatigue is real. And they're not letting up on any of it.
    I still miss Renee Montoya. Oh, and I'm a dude.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post
    I have more than a few issues with Marvel myself, but they still release quite a bit of good stuff. No publisher is 100% terrible. Jane as Thor? It was promoted in a gimmicky, pandering way but was actually really good. Ms. Marvel was a breath of fresh air when she was released. The Soule Inhumans stuff was great, though clearly Marvel was trying to make them a success at the expense of the X-Men because of movie rights.

But there is a lot of crap being published. And Marvel creators are free to have their opinions, but more than a few of them have turned me off buying their products due to their behaviour on social media. NOT the opinions they hold, but the way in which they treat people. And Marvel editorial just seems so disingenuous. They treat diversity like a marketing gimmick and hire minority writers for headlines then don't support them or help them improve. And it *is* tokenism to only hire black people to write black characters, gay people to write gay characters, etc. Let a straight black woman write a Iceman. Let a Hispanic man write Captain Marvel. Actually be progressive. Marvel is talking the talk but not walking the walk.

But, again, in regards to quality? Marvel editorial is clearly acting like DC during the lowest points of the New 52 and interfering in storytelling. And the event fatigue is real. And they're not letting up on any of it.
    I can totally agree with you on most of these and I do think Marvel has a long way to go to honor the characters they've created. Some of the creators have an attitude that is very off-putting and it makes supporting their work challenging, if not impossible. As far as the diversity hires and such, yes to a degree they should let a someone of a differing race/gender/orientation/religion write the characters, but it is important that representation matters (a good story trumps that for sure), but it makes a difference for younger audiences to see a black man writing Black Panther, or a Muslim woman writing Ms. Marvel. Just as important as having the titles on the stands. I certainly agree with you that Marvel does not provide enough support for their creatives, pulling books left and right without letting them have the actual chance to find their footing and audience. That is a huge mark against Marvel editorial. Event fatigue is certainly real, and the corporate push for synergy and stilted storylines is really killing the fun the comics used to have for me.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    It sure is lonely being a person who actually likes the way Marvel is going right now simply because the few books that they do read (books that have been roasted as "bad" on places like D&C) are actually enjoyable.
    It is indeed strange why so many people seem to have such strong opinions on books that are both popular and they are not reading. But look on the bright side. Threads like this help you flesh out your ignore list.

Ultimate Member

I don't read as many Marvel comics as before but I enjoy the few ones I do read.

I really enjoyed yesterday's Falcon and still enjoy Mighty Thor, Old Man Logan, Blackbolt (hands down the best title I'm reading right now), X-men Gold and Spider-man are pretty good.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It is indeed strange why so many people seem to have such strong opinions on books that are both popular and they are not reading. But look on the bright side. Threads like this help you flesh out your ignore list.
    There is a huge amount of toxicity in comic fandom now particularly regarding Marvel. I've been on these forums for a long, long time and it hasn't been this bad.

ISome people don't like certain characters and titles and that's fine. But the negativity is so thick right now that people that actually enjoy the books struggle to even discuss them on the Marvel forums.

BANNED

Not read through the whole thread but has anyone brought up Marvel using it's characters to try and promote real life War profiteers and only cancelling the release of the comic at the very last minute when peopl protested against it even though they'd already made it (and it was Part 1 too...)

Marvel's deal is that they are sell out hacks who's owner and owner's owner are in love with people who worship the dollar at all costs

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    Not read through the whole thread but has anyone brought up Marvel using it's characters to try and promote real life War profiteers and only cancelling the release of the comic at the very last minute when peopl protested against it even though they'd already made it (and it was Part 1 too...)
    Not sure I've ever heard of this situation . . . can you say what project this was?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Not sure I've ever heard of this situation . . . can you say what project this was?
    Well, basically Marvel was doing a promotional comic about the Avengers teaming up with Northrop Grumman, focusing in the aerospace technology. But considering than that company is defined as a war proffiter, it was very bad received by the public opinion and the project was discarded. Even if the project had a very progresive cover.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Well, basically Marvel was doing a promotional comic about the Avengers teaming up with Northrop Grumman, focusing in the aerospace technology. But considering than that company is defined as a war proffiter, it was very bad received by the public opinion and the project was discarded. Even if the project had a very progresive cover.
    Ah, thank you for the clarification.
    Heard about the project, but wasn't paying too much attention to the thread about it, so I was unaware it has been shelved.

What's the deal?

Business is pretty good, the content may have flip-flopped around a bit but the money is still coming in. Critics are largely in favour, social media (at least the loudest parts of it) seem to be somewhat irked.

Personally I've tried a lot of books but found most of them not to my taste so I haven't added them to my pull list. A couple have made the cut and I'm enjoying them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Whatever Marvel's problems, I think things will get better. If not, well they'll always be comics I enjoy, no use worrying about what their problems are.
    I respect that people enjoy their books, and I wish I could, too; hell, I even also hope that Marvel does better. I don't want to misrepresent myself, because I grew up with Marvel, but I'm not enjoying their books.

Quote Originally Posted by armlessphelan View Post

I'm Hizashi and I approve this message.