Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default DCAU's Impact on Wonder Woman

While I watched Superfriends as a kid, the first time I truly learned about Wonder Woman as a character was through Justice League/Justice League Unlimited.

There are some concepts that the DCEU introduced that we see having a major impact on Wonder Woman's current mythos:

1. JLU introduced the idea of Wonder Woman stealing her armor from Paradise Island instead of her earning it in The Contest. This is now seen in the Wonder Woman movie where Diana again steals the armor.

2. Cheetah's design - While Cheetah was not a major player in JLU, she was designed similarly to the current Cheetah in Rucka's run. I'll say this Cheetah is a more menacing evolution of the Cheetah we saw in JLU.

3. Diana the daughter of a God. In the JLU, it was hinted that Diana could be the daughter of Hades. Now, in the DCEU, comics and animation, Diana is the daughter of Zeus.

Do you think it's a coincidence that the current Wonder Woman mythos seems to take several elements from the DCAU or do you think it's giving Johns and DC brass inspiration for the character.

Stealing the armor might have been inspired, as that's quite specific, but the rest I think is just coincidence.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Even though she is Zeus's daughter at least it's not through sexual means. Diana does say she has no father. She was brought to life by Zeus. So yes and no Zeus is her father. Unless what Diana told was also a lie.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Even though she is Zeus's daughter at least it's not through sexual means. Diana does say she has no father. She was brought to life by Zeus. So yes and no Zeus is her father. Unless what Diana told was also a lie.
    Are you referring to the movie?

Because if so, that WAS the lie: Diana believed she was clay brought to life by Zeus. Ares revealed otherwise while under the lasso that Diana was in fact "the child Zeus had with Hippolyta" (remember: in the movie, Zeus is the heroic widower, not the skeevy philanderer of yore). Diana is the biological daughter of Hippolyta and Zeus in the movie.

Also, she can't fly in thr DCEU. Not like Superman. Not even like Cyborg.

Bat-shipping, the greatest blight upon Wonder Woman's career since she wore a pure white jump suit.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

In retrospect, I can see some of the resemblance between stealing the armor and sneaking off the island between DCAU WW and the DCEU WW, but I think that's kind of coincidence. Here's the big issue: WW's origin story involves a large act of defiance. She wasn't supposed to compete against her sisters, but she did so anyway, and therefore she was granted leave from Themyscira. The movie elected not to have the competition, and I can't say that's all thanks to the DCAU's decision not to go that route. If you want an act of defiance, but skip the competition altogether, you're sort of left with stealing a costume and sneaking away. Of course, there's a big difference between DCAU and DCEU, too. DCEU Hippolyta caught WW on the way out, but let her go and ultimately gave her blessing. DCAU WW successfully left the island without getting caught, and I was of the opinion that if she got caught by Hippolyta, she wasn't going to be let free.

Making WW daughter of Zeus is pretty much Azzarello's thing. I think it's a stretch to credit DCAU.

And yeah, the biggest thing that DCAU gave us was the Bat-shipping. I don't think anything else from the DCAU about WW has influenced other media so much.

Yeah, my guess is that the Bat-Shipping of the DCAU will worm its way into the live movies. (Not that I'm happy about it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Bat-shipping, the greatest blight upon Wonder Woman's career since she wore a pure white jump suit.
    It only really happened in the DCAU. Even then, it was more teased then actually happened.

Meanwhile, the SuperWonder shipping has been in numerous Elseworlds and even in canon (though it was retconned out).

Besides which, most Batman fans are excited about Bruce and Selina getting married.

Mighty Member

I don't think the Zeus origin is a DCAU thing I just think that is another example of them wanting to sully the clay origin for drama or include more men because they think itd be an interesting plot point but stuff like that goes back to the 50's I think

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I don't think the Zeus origin is a DCAU thing I just think that is another example of them wanting to sully the clay origin for drama or include more men because they think itd be an interesting plot point but stuff like that goes back to the 50's I think
    Correct. Zeus is not Diana's father in the DCAU. It was suggested that Hades had a part in sculpting her clay form, but that was about it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I think this really just comes down to people genuinely not liking Diana being animated clay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorblax View Post
    Yeah, my guess is that the Bat-Shipping of the DCAU will worm its way into the live movies. (Not that I'm happy about it.)
    Superman already took her virginity, what's will Batman take, her dignity? Wonder/Bat pairings should stay in RHATO and Bruce should stay with Selina, or Talia, or some other notch on his utility belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think this really just comes down to people genuinely not liking Diana being animated clay.
    I don't that's it, I think it's more about them putting another male in the title and Diana owing something to a man so as not to offend male readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Superman already took her virginity, what's will Batman take, her dignity? Wonder/Bat pairings should stay in RHATO and Bruce should stay with Selina, or Talia, or some other notch on his utility belt.
    So, people are fine with Jason Todd and Artemis together? I know people quickly accepted it in the Batman fandom, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious to how the Wonder Woman fandom felt about it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I think that part of it is exactly what you said because I definitely think people want her to have a father figure but I also think that comics, esp for a while, are just into deconstucting the characters and trying to make some type of commentary on every aspect of the character they can. Well, I think this is mostly for writers and not readers because I still believe majority of people don't care either way.