Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Timm

BANNED

For me...it is obvious that Paul dini was the retard filter...
    Bruce timm had become the new george lucas. I often refuse to give him credit for batman the animated series.

What Paul dini made since DCAU

Arkham games which defined batman for a entire genration and brought batman to new popularity heights

What Bruce timm has done since the DCAU

Destroyed a Alan Moore classic, defended man of steel, create a cash grab Harley quin film.

He never understood the characters

He said this about the justice league cartoon

"I excluded the supporting casts of all these superheroes because they were not written to have chemistry together...so we basically got rid of them so that they will be forced to interact with eachother"

Not exactly what he said...but it speaks volumes to me that Bruce timm could not write these characters with all their complex relationships.

Justice league suffered because none of the superhero had lives outside of being justice league members.
    Last edited by jason white reborn; 10-10-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Timm is alright. I enjoyed all his DC cartoons I just wish DC had more respect for their female characters. I don't blame Timm for Bruce /Babs or the Harley Quinn I put that on DC Just Like I put Son of Batman's Talia raped Bruce nonsense on them not the movie director.

I thought his Superman was strong and super also quite charming and not in the chessy duffy Donner way.

Yeah. Timm's got some great work under his belt but it's ludicrously obvious that he's got a favorite, and that really frustrates me.

Here's an example, right? My favorite Timm DC work is Gods and Monsters because it immediately removes his hangups about both Superman and Batman. Back in the early days of BTAS days, Bruce only had to be the coolest person in Gotham City. By JLU he had to be the coolest character in the whole Justice League. In Gods and Monsters, with Bruce Wayne out of the way Kirk Langstrom became the best Batman that Timm had worked on in over a decade, because he no longer constantly suffered under the weight of his own legend.

The Superman thing is a little harder to put into words, but basically I think about the scene where Superman lands on Hal Jordan's plane and writes backwards on the windshield in perfectly legible letters. It's a brilliant little detail that immediately showcases Superman's brilliant alien mind. Writing backwards is hard and Superman can just do it. The problem isn't that Kal-El wouldn't be able to do that. The problem is that Timm never would have done it with him, ever. His Superman was... I don't want to say "too human", but in a way that's what he was. It wasn't nearly as much of a problem when he had the whole show to himself and could be The Hero. After all, even if he wasn't smart like Superman was in Gods and Monsters, he was still as smart as Clark Kent, and Clark Kent is pretty smart! Unfortunately, as soon as JL started, Superman seemed less smart even in a human "Clark Kent is a really bright guy" sense. Suddenly he was a self-righteous man who assumed he was always right, and oh so rarely had the rightness to back it up. On top of that, he wasn't even the team's Big Gun anymore! The number of times Superman failed at a task only to have someone else succeed was truly shameful!

So basically what I'm saying is that they should make Bruce Timm do more Gods and Monsters movies and never let him do anything else in fact.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I disagree with those who think less of Superman. He was perfect. The only reason Superman was not my favorite because i loved the likes of Spider-Man and Wolverine more because they are specifically designed to appeal to teenagers. That was the time i caught those shows. And Batman in Justice League was so awesome that practically everyone else was of second class. JL leaves more stronger impressions.

Otherwise if i look back Superman was awesome. I would watch Superman TAS anyday. I still remember how awesome it was in the 3rd episode when he was fighting that gigantic robot. It blew my mind when i saw it on tv. His awesomeness was in full display. He may not move planets but he was marvellous. His fights appeared to be challenging. And the show was action packed.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 10-10-2017 at 09:04 PM.

He did great with Batman. That's about it. Superman TAS had a few cool episodes but those weren't directed by him (in fact, I think he only directed one episode -- "Brave New Metropolis' -- and that was an abomination). And the Wonder Woman animated movie was cool too (but I think he had little input with that as well)

Most of his creative decisions (re: Justice League, etc) were pretty terrible IMO

So, yes, I'll say he's competent but quite overrated

Extraordinary Member

BTAS is the best cartoon ever created, while STAS is one of the best and is spectacular. I find Batman Beyond to be overrated and don;t care for it. Justice League was a bit of a mess during season 1 but was great in season 2 and JLU.

Can we all agree that the batman cartoon was pretty much perfect? People like to throw overrated around alot these days but Bruce Timm is royalty as far as I'm concerned.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    Can we all agree that the batman cartoon was pretty much perfect? People like to throw overrated around alot these days but Bruce Timm is royalty as far as I'm concerned.
    I could wager that B:tAS was pretty fantastic, yeah. It deserves the hype.

Can we all agree that the batman cartoon was pretty much perfect?
    Yup, I've always felt that way. Now, best animated program of all time, that's pushing it. Its not that. But its the best superhero animated series of all time.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I've always seen the DCAU as basically a Bat universe first. Because everything revolves around him. It's sort of like a more serious version of the Batman Brave and Bold cartoon. This is why I've always had a problem with that version of Superman. I know he defined Superman for an entire generation but it's obvious he wanted to work with Batman and was forced to work with the rest of the DCU. The fact that something like Batman Beyond pre-dates a Justice League cartoon kind of speaks for itself. And it was usually at Superman's expense. In JLU he was the guy who was always the easiest to manipulate, and in BB he was controlled by a Starro for years. That tells you all you need to know.
    Timm and crew wanted to do Superman Batman was the first opportunity they got and they were fans and ran with it but was happy to move on to Superman and originally not thrilled with doing more Batman episodes because they were happy working solely on Superman. Batman Beyond happened because WB wanted a teen hero and it happened before Justice League because Timm admitted doing a team series scared them they weren't sure they could properly handle all the members.

STAS isn't my version of Superman but it was pretty great and I loved how they made Kara his "cousin" during the no other Kryptonians era of DC. It had some greats stories too like the Darkseid arc and Turpins death also the Late Mr. Kent is one of my favorite Superman stories ever. I also enjoyed Lana creating her own company. The DCAU isn't the best version of the DCU to me but it's a good representation especially for tv.

& Yes the first 3 seasons of Batman the Animated Series and Mask of the Phantasm is the best Superhero series ever.

The great episodes were great, but there were some stinkers in the mix, too. Overall, though, the feel and tone of the show felt right, more so than for the revamped TNBA, STAS, and JL/JLU.

I remember being a bigger fan of Batman Beyond and The Batman (2002) than the animated series so i never become a Timm devotee. I do have fond memories of JL/JLU and don't have the hangups about their supporting casts being left out (because i was a kid at the time).

I enjoyed Gods and Monsters the most out of the modern animated movies and it's way better than the new 52 verse they started. So maybe he's better off doing similar projects or exploring life outside the DCU? I remember reading an article on him being a part of Freakazoid but he bowed because of creative differences.

I never got around to rewatching Superman the animated series but i enjoyed his take on Superman in the JL cartoon. I rather someone else come in and do a modern Superman cartoon as we are overdo for one.

JL/JLU, to me, presented the near-quintessential version of the league. My only problem with his Superman was in regards to how dumbed-down he was. However, I feel that this could be said about all the characters in the show. Perhaps, its kid-friendly nature was the only thing restricting the characters' portrayals.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Bruce Timm's Batman universe is just as good and iconic as any of the movies or comic books. They are still endlessly watchable. The Two Face Origin, Heart of Ice, The Clock King!

Superman I didn't care for but that was because I didn't really care for the 90s Superman at all and this seemed an extension of that period. I think the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited are still the best Justice League cartoons out there. I prefer the final seasons of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited over any of the DC animated movies. It's not even close. The Justice Lords Saga, the Legion of Doom episodes, the Warren Ellis stories... In many ways his animated universe did on television what Marvel Studios is doing at the movies. As far as Paul Dini goes, I love his stories, but I will consistently watch those old cartoons but I won't pick up a Paul Dini comic just because he wrote it.