Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I can see people being mad that he's caused thousands of people to be without jobs, shareholders upset probably bad for the markets but yeah, that's a good point. I hope the public know that Peter did what he did to stop Doctor Octopus and Hydra from getting his advanced tech. At least a few people would view him as a hero.
    The Avengers don't even know, let alone the public. Nadia was furious that Peter ran the company into the ground and lost the Avengers their HQ. Of course, when she yelled at Spidey, she didn't know it was actually Peter, the target of her aggression, under the mask. He had to hold his tongue!

BANNED

This issue was okay but not great. I am not really that crazy about noone at all understanding that giving a buisness to Hydra would not be a good thing. Atleast some of the workers understood why when it happened. The whole idea that literaly everyone seems to agree on this and be against Parker just feels hallow. Even the fact that people in general would not disagree more on this just seems weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    More like it feels ten years out of date
    Well it's not out of date, every decade has a good chunk of it where Peter is at the bottom of the barrel and struggling to get by.

It just feels too late in terms of a story cause it should've happened after Superior, or after Secret Wars. It's been a long time where whats going on with Peter felt more important then what's going on with Spider-Man.
    "What about wheatcakes next time?"-Peter
    "Wheatcakes are yucky."-Annie

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Well it's not out of date, every decade has a good chunk of it where Peter is at the bottom of the barrel and struggling to get by.
    Every decade has a period where Peter is down on his luck is totally it of date considering it's been 54 years since his debut and it's a tired trait for the character.
    It reminds me of Hulk Hogan and WCW. While WWF was show casing new stars and bringing up younger talent and had plenty of talent over with the fans, WCW always went back to giving Hulk Hogan the title over and over and over again with the worst being "the finger poke of doom." It's tired. It's old. They failed.
    Peter being a bum on a couch or aunt mays house is tired and it's old...55 years old to be exact.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Robbie kind of came off like a dick in this issue. I think his argument with Pete would've came off better if Robbie reasoned that he ran the story the way he did because Pete literally dropped off the grid and shut off contact with everyone, so they couldn't get his side of the story. Instead, Robbie felt pretty harsh.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Robbie kind of came off like a dick in this issue. I think his argument with Pete would've came off better if Robbie reasoned that he ran the story the way he did because Pete literally dropped off the grid and shut off contact with everyone, so they couldn't get his side of the story. Instead, Robbie felt pretty harsh.
    Not at all. Robbie cares for Peter but he's not going to coddle him. He justly called out Peter for his screw-ups, even if we know there's some extenuating circumstances.

Also, it's clear that Robbie's already got a new position in mind for Peter at the Bugle so it's not like he isn't looking out for Peter, like an old friend would.

As for the issue as a whole, it was really solid. Loved seeing so much of the familiar supporting cast back. The book needs those people around to make it truly feel like ASM. And for anyone complaining that Pete's down on his luck again and that it's back stepping to have him sleeping on someone's couch - for crying out loud, give it an issue or two. He just lost his company and clearly a new gig is on its way. If his permanent new status quo was bumming on Bobbi's couch and it looked like he was going to still be doing that three or four months from now, that'd be a problem but obviously it's temporary. Not everything can be resolved in a single issue. Looking forward to seeing where Peter goes from here. Didn't anticipate what his new position looks to be but I like it - makes a ton of sense and it brings him back to the DB while not retreading the same ground.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    And for anyone complaining that Pete's down on his luck again and that it's back stepping to have him sleeping on someone's couch - for crying out loud, give it an issue or two. He just lost his company and clearly a new gig is on its way. If his permanent new status quo was bumming on Bobbi's couch and it looked like he was going to still be doing that three or four months from now, that'd be a problem but obviously it's temporary. Not everything can be resolved in a single issue. Looking forward to seeing where Peter goes from here. Didn't anticipate what his new position looks to be but I like it - makes a ton of sense and it brings him back to the DB while not retreading the same ground.
    According to the issue itself, Peter has been moping around in Bobbi’s apartment for weeks since Parker Industries fell quite a while back. Not to mention that he was completely ignoring all the responsibilities he has to deal with regarding P.I. and just thrusting them on Harry to solve for all that time.

As for the new job, I won’t say it’s bad until we see it in action, but it certainly isn’t anything groundbreaking or super-interesting. It also doesn’t make sense that Peter would start writing stories on tech when he could continue inventing things and just sell those patents to “good” companies like Stark or Rand instead. That way he’d still be doing good.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    According to the issue itself, Peter has been moping around in Bobbi’s apartment for weeks since Parker Industries fell quite a while back. Not to mention that he was completely ignoring all the responsibilities he has to deal with regarding P.I. and just thrusting them on Harry to solve for all that time.

As for the new job, I won’t say it’s bad until we see it in action, but it certainly isn’t anything groundbreaking or super-interesting. It also doesn’t make sense that Peter would start writing stories on tech when he could continue inventing things and just sell those patents to “good” companies like Stark or Rand instead. That way he’d still be doing good.
    Plus, peter willing to call it quits and just be spidey.

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Every decade has a period where Peter is down on his luck is totally it of date considering it's been 54 years since his debut and it's a tired trait for the character.
    It reminds me of Hulk Hogan and WCW. While WWF was show casing new stars and bringing up younger talent and had plenty of talent over with the fans, WCW always went back to giving Hulk Hogan the title over and over and over again with the worst being "the finger poke of doom." It's tired. It's old. They failed.
    Peter being a bum on a couch or aunt mays house is tired and it's old...55 years old to be exact.
    Your analogy captures the situation perfectly. Of course, he is crashing on somebody else's coach this time so I guess that's progress....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

...And? Peter just had his entire world implode. A brief period of moping doesn't make him a bad guy and Peter's never been a stranger to the occasional bouts of self-pity. What version of Peter has never had those qualities? None.

What "ground-breaking" or "super-interesting" job would you like Peter to have?

On another thread you tore the new direction apart ahead of time, making the assumption that his new position at the Bugle would involve him going back to photography.

The fact that it's looking to involve his science expertise and not involve photography at all should be a plus.

And who's to say that he won't continue to invent in the future? He hasn't even gotten his new job at the Bugle yet. Give him time to find his footing again.

BANNED

I've figured out what's bugging me about the art, which has been niggling away at me because I usually love Immonen's work - Gracia's colouring isn't bright enough. Immonen's Ultimate Spider-Man run looked fantastic because the vibrant colouring complemented his stylised action sequences, giving the whole thing a vitality and immediacy that we don't see here. In this recent ASM run, the colouring has been murky. It's more realistic, and maybe it's better-suited to some of the more down-tempo scenes, but it's just no good for the action scenes. Nothing stands out.

Storywise, I enjoyed this more than the previous couple of arcs. I don't like Bobbi at all for Peter, but oh well. It doesn't really make sense for Peter to be in his current position after all the international billionaire stuff, but I'll take persecuted Peter over smug Peter any day of the week.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    ...And? Peter just had his entire world implode. A brief period of moping doesn't make him a bad guy and Peter's never been a stranger to the occasional bouts of self-pity. What version of Peter has never had those qualities? None.
    It doesn't make him a "bad" guy, but it does make him pathetic compared to earlier versions of him. He didn't sit around moping for weeks after Uncle Ben died. After Gwen died. Or, in Slott's own run, after Marla or Silver Sable died. But somehow losing a company is a bad enough blow to take him out for weeks? To run away from his problems? When Marla died, Peter didn't give up - he decided to be even better. When Sable "died", Peter became even more hardcore. But in this story, he's running away from even dealing with the fallout of his own stupid decisions, and making his friend do all the heavy lifting for him instead.

What "ground-breaking" or "super-interesting" job would you like Peter to have?

On another thread you tore the new direction apart ahead of time, making the assumption that his new position at the Bugle would involve him going back to photography.

The fact that it's looking to involve his science expertise and not involve photography at all should be a plus.

And who's to say that he won't continue to invent in the future? He hasn't even gotten his new job at the Bugle yet. Give him time to find his footing again.
    It doesn't have to be super-groundbreaking to be good, but this science writing stuff is literally the same thing as photography in a prettier dress. Instead of going to events to take pictures, he can go to take notes for an article. Instead of being yelled at for not taking enough pictures of Spider-Man, he can be yelled at for not finishing up an article. And if you remember, I didn't assume that the new position WOULD be photography, I tore apart a couple possibilities - executive at the Bugle, photographer, reporter, and janitor (just for fun). Clearly, it ended up being the third option. I won't criticize too much since maybe Slott will address some of my concerns with "science reporting" when he actually gets the job, but for now, the whole "Peter is really good at explaining hard concepts in a simpla manner" is completely out of thin air - in fact, Slott himself wrote the scene where Peter tries to explain his work to MJ and it completely goes over her head since Peter is BAD at explaining it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    Just read the issue.
    From what I read it looks like Peter will be hired at the bugle as a science editor/repeorter and the ending has Peter gravitating towards being Spider Man more often because he feels that everyone hates Peter Parker right now.
    I have not got my copy so far.
    Interesting news about Peter Parker new job at Daily Bugle.

BANNED

It doesn't make him a "bad" guy, but it does make him pathetic compared to earlier versions of him. He didn't sit around moping for weeks after Uncle Ben died. After Gwen died. Or, in Slott's own run, after Marla or Silver Sable died. But somehow losing a company is a bad enough blow to take him out for weeks? To run away from his problems? When Marla died, Peter didn't give up - he decided to be even better. When Sable "died", Peter became even more hardcore. But in this story, he's running away from even dealing with the fallout of his own stupid decisions, and making his friend do all the heavy lifting for him instead.
    He didn't sit around moping for weeks after those deaths because the real world explanation is that having the protagonist of a book go through a normal grieving process doesn't make for very exciting superhero comics. Better to have him fighting the Chameleon and so on rather than curled up in a ball in a dark room.

Also, it wouldn't have been good after those deaths to have the book do a time jump as we see here. Readers would want the immediate aftermath from those deaths.

Here, skipping ahead a bit from the end of PI isn't such a big deal. Better to move the narrative ahead. And it's not "pathetic" to have him unsure of his next move. It's not like he's crippled with depression - he's just at a loss for what his new direction should be. And, unlike after those deaths, he doesn't have a regular routine to return to that would forcibly "normalize" his life. He doesn't have school or a job so his next move isn't so clear.

It doesn't have to be super-groundbreaking to be good, but this science writing stuff is literally the same thing as photography in a prettier dress. Instead of going to events to take pictures, he can go to take notes for an article. Instead of being yelled at for not taking enough pictures of Spider-Man, he can be yelled at for not finishing up an article. And if you remember, I didn't assume that the new position WOULD be photography, I tore apart a couple possibilities - executive at the Bugle, photographer, reporter, and janitor (just for fun). Clearly, it ended up being the third option.
    The third option that you didn't specify. Had you anticipated that Slott would find a use for Pete's scientific expertise at the Bugle, you could say you called it.

And I expect this will not just be a redux of his job as a photog. I imagine Slott has conceived of ways for this to cast Pete in a different role at the Bugle. But we'll see. I do know when fans tend to pre-write issues in their head, they usually end up missing the mark.