Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are any New52 elements surfacing in the Superman Reborn era?

So, when SuperDad and New52 Superman were combined and the timeline changed to something that sort of unified them and made them one person with one history, we kind of knew it'd mostly be SuperDad just being native to the current DC Comics universe instead of a refugee, but some of us had hopes that some New52 elements and personality traits would surface.

In the issues where this happened, they showed that the new current Superman once wore the high collar costume and fought Uylesses, and of course Superman has some adventures in Action Comics with a Lex Luthor, who became a good guy towards the end of New52 era, though that would have happened even had he not been merged.

Other than that, I haven't really seen any New52 elements after the Mxy storyline, but the last issue of the main Superman issue I read was Superman #25, which must be like 10 issues ago now or something. I'm a bit more current with Action Comics.

So, has anything happened in the issues of Superman title that might appeal to a New52 Superman fan like myself since the last issue I read? Or is it just Jon Kent and his Dad continue what they were doing before the merger of the Supermen except as natives of this universe with red boots?

Anything in Justice League or Metal or any other books?
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 10-10-2017 at 04:54 PM.

Well Lex Luthor is probably the big one. Still basically his new 52 self besides growing up with Clark. Still a good guy, gradually getting on better terms with Superman. They'll likely turn on each other soon in the Imperiis Lex arc. Also don't follow Kara or Lana, but I hear it's the same deal, basically continuations of their new 52 selves.

Quote Originally Posted by FishyZombie View Post
    Well Lex Luthor is probably the big one. Still basically his new 52 self besides growing up with Clark. Still a good guy, gradually getting on better terms with Superman. They'll likely turn on each other soon in the Imperiis Lex arc. Also don't follow Kara or Lana, but I hear it's the same deal, basically continuations of their new 52 selves.
    Wasn't New52 Kara an angsty teen that tried to knee Barry Allen's head into non-existence?
    Rebirth Kara has been, other than her age, based a lot on the tv show version.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Super sons had a flashback to batman: hush in a recent issue and showed superman's new 52 costume and not his trunks suit he had at the time. Also a recent issue of nightwin had a flashback to truth era n52 Superman. Besides that, things have been focused on the current times.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I can't say so, and I empathize with its fans. There is nothing I personally miss, although I thought the first year from Morrison and the first arc from Pak were fantastic and would gladly welcome them back. Only, I'd swap his Metallo for the current one and get rid of all the Brainiac stuff they did after Bedard.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Supergirl is build on the NEW 52 Kara's continuity.

BANNED

Superman apparently still fought some of his New 52 enemies. Was reading through the 2nd trade of New Super-man & it made reference to this "White China Triad" & that he fought them in the FCBD'15 issue. Also Machinist appeared in Action before the Oz Effect arc. Forever Evil & Darkseid War obviously still happened to a certain extent given what happened to Lex & Bizarro.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Super sons had a flashback to batman: hush in a recent issue and showed superman's new 52 costume and not his trunks suit he had at the time. Also a recent issue of nightwin had a flashback to truth era n52 Superman. Besides that, things have been focused on the current times.
    But Hush is still a Pre-Flashpoint story. I don't know if this really counts.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    But Hush is still a Pre-Flashpoint story. I don't know if this really counts.
    Yes, but I figured op just wanted to know if any references to the new 52 era was made and I would qualify that costume being shown as one.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 10-10-2017 at 08:20 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Aside from the costume and not being married to Lois, the only significant difference between the Pre-Flashpoint and New 52 Superman is that Ma & Pa Kent are dead again, which the Reborn revamp has retained.

So, I'm not really sure what New 52 elements would be left to show. He was essentially the same character, and I have yet to see any convincing argument that these were radically different characters, other than swapping out Lois for Wonder Woman as his romantic interest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have yet to see any convincing argument that these were radically different characters, other than swapping out Lois for Wonder Woman as his romantic interest.
    Funny, I've yet to see a convincing argument he was the same character.

I know what I read, and if he were the same character, he'd have kept me glued as a reader, and not turn me away, but he wasn't.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 10-11-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Funny, I've yet to see a convincing argument he was the same character.

I know what I read, and if he were the same character, he'd have kept me glued as a reader, and not turn me away, but he wasn't.
    Bad stories turn me away, which was just as true for the Pre-Flashpoint Superman as the New 52 Superman. When the stories were good, I was on board. When they weren't, I left.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Aside from the costume and not being married to Lois, the only significant difference between the Pre-Flashpoint and New 52 Superman is that Ma & Pa Kent are dead again, which the Reborn revamp has retained.

So, I'm not really sure what New 52 elements would be left to show. He was essentially the same character, and I have yet to see any convincing argument that these were radically different characters, other than swapping out Lois for Wonder Woman as his romantic interest.
    You mean....aside from his relationships and history being radically altered? Before Flashpoint, John Henry Irons was the guy who assumed the mantle of Steel after Superman's death in order to honor the latter's legacy. After Flashpoint he wasn't. But now he is again.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 10-11-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You mean....aside from his relationships and history being radically altered? Before Flashpoint, John Henry Irons was the guy who assumed the mantle of Steel after Superman's death in order to honor the latter's legacy. After Flashpoint he wasn't. But now he is again.
    I think he means in terms of Superman at his core being largely the same. Yes the continiuity and history was radically altered and in some respects some elements and history were erased entirely, but that's how reboots are. Same could be said of PreCrisis to Post Crisis shift. Yeah, eventually most of the Pre Crisis history and character relationships did return, but it took nearly 20 years for it to happen. For at least 15 of those 20 years, Post Crisis was pretty much what the New 52 was in terms of retaining some surface elements, but changing everything else. At least for Superman of course. Not the DCU as a whole to be clear.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

It looks like what was going on with Lex, Lana, and Steel is a continuation of the New 52 Stuff. The Machinist showed up recently in Action. It seems most of the Justice League stuff happened, like Darkseid War and Forever Evil plus some of the other stories. It looks like a lot of the New 52 stuff happened in Superman's early days and some of that gets sprinkled into the current stories. Action seems to have more elements of the New 52 that pop up plus deal with the Rebirth mystery. The Superman book has more of the family elements and tie ins to Super Sons. They've showed Superman in his New 52 suit a few times in flashbacks.

So yeah, some elements are still out there and a big deal. Though mostly is moving forward with the new status quo, which is to be expected.