Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Funny, I've yet to see a convincing argument he was the same character.

I know what I read, and if he were the same character, he'd have kept me glued as a reader, and not turn me away, but he wasn't.
    Well one of the main things that brought him down were terribly written stories a lot of the time and bad editorial. The good stories that managed to come through were hard to notice.

Does Post-Reborn Merged Superman have New52's planet-busting strength and FTL speed? Or does he have more the weaker Post-COIE Supes stats?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Does Post-Reborn Merged Superman have New52's planet-busting strength and FTL speed? Or does he have more the weaker Post-COIE Supes stats?
    Given what we've seen on the page since the Supermen became just Superman,i'd say somewhere in between. He's definitely not as underpowered as the early Post Crisis,but I don't recall seeing him quite reaching the top end of the New 52 levels. To be fair though, there were times in the later Post Crisis era where he was written at Pre Crisis power levels and times " present day" New 52 Superman was written closer to post Crisis levels. For some time now, Supes power level has depended on who is writting him . I'd say that's still the case. So essentially, I'd say it's a wash.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 10-11-2017 at 10:24 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Seems that Kon-El Story is the same of N52 Kon-El, one of the victims of N52 Teen Titans.. He was not in SM reborn after SM resurrection(after doomsday first appearance).

In Detective Comics 966, Tim didnīt know about CONNER KENT, because in N52 he was a Teen Titans since the begin(they were his family, not the KENT) and apparently DC never used that name with him..

Talking about MERGER.. I hope see him with his pre-flashpoint/YJ costume after his return..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-11-2017 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Given what we've seen on the page since the Supermen became just Superman,i'd say somewhere in between. He's definitely not as underpowered as the early Post Crisis,but I don't recall seeing him quite reaching the top end of the New 52 levels. To be fair though, there were times in the later Post Crisis era where he was written at Pre Crisis power levels and times " present day" New 52 Superman was written closer to post Crisis levels. For some time now, Supes power level has depended on who is writting him . I'd say that's still the case. So essentially, I'd say it's a wash.
    Yeah, it's hard to say. I'm trying to think of a story moment since Rebirth where Superman's strength was really put to the test. In a lot of cases, Superman was fighting in his weight class, like against Zod or Cyborg Superman. It does seem to depend on the writer though. For example, Jurgens has said on twitter that he feels Superman's powers should have limits. So I would expect Jurgens' Superman to be lower in power than New 52. Though Tomasi writes him like there is no difference between the two versions, so I would expect New 52 power levels from him. Hard to say though without really getting word one way or the other. It's all just speculation on my part.

In my opinion, since both were essentially half a Superman, I would think the whole would actually be stronger. Then again, I prefer my Superman with limitless strength. I like the kind of Superman feats where he moves War World or benches the weight of the Earth for 5 straight days.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to say. I'm trying to think of a story moment since Rebirth where Superman's strength was really put to the test. In a lot of cases, Superman was fighting in his weight class, like against Zod or Cyborg Superman. It does seem to depend on the writer though. For example, Jurgens has said on twitter that he feels Superman's powers should have limits. So I would expect Jurgens' Superman to be lower in power than New 52. Though Tomasi writes him like there is no difference between the two versions, so I would expect New 52 power levels from him. Hard to say though without really getting word one way or the other. It's all just speculation on my part.

In my opinion, since both were essentially half a Superman, I would think the whole would actually be stronger. Then again, I prefer my Superman with limitless strength. I like the kind of Superman feats where he moves War World or benches the weight of the Earth for 5 straight days.
    So do I, quite frankly. One of the things I liked about New 52 Superman was he was back to just below or at preCrisis Superman in terms of feats. I know I've been critical of Lobdell here, but he does deserve kudos for establishing the Titanic power levels.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Spoiler for Metal #3

spoilers:
    The Doomsday Virus still exists, as it's being utilized by the Devastator and Barbatos to turn the population of Metropolis into Doomsdays. Jimmy and Lois are both infected.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Embryonic Superman View Post
    Spoiler for Metal #3

spoilers:
    The Doomsday Virus still exists, as it's being utilized by the Devastator and Barbatos to turn the population of Metropolis into Doomsdays. Jimmy and Lois are both infected.
    end of spoilers
    I think that Supersons mentioned this previosly during the AMAZO KID saga..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-11-2017 at 12:57 PM.

That was a cool spin on Doomsday that the New 52 utilized. Glad they've kept it.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member Embryonic Superman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I think that Supersons mentioned this previosly during the AMAZO KID saga..
    If I recall, the first arc of Super Sons took place before the Pre-Flashpoint/New 52 Supermen merger, so this is the first evidence that it survived into the new continuity.

BANNED

The Super Flare is still canon. Not surprising as it's a Johns creation.

It was mentioned in today's Superwoman as the reason Lana got her powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That was a cool spin on Doomsday that the New 52 utilized. Glad they've kept it.
    Agreed. -nod- The whole of Doomed was pretty great, honestly.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    I think that Supersons mentioned this previosly... For the AMAZO KID..
    You are (understandably) confusing the amazo virus and the doomsday virus. Yeah they did the same thing with both Amazo and Doomsday, turning them into Viruses. Honestly neither are bad developments, but them both doing the same thing is kinda redundant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Agreed. -nod- The whole of Doomed was pretty great, honestly.
    At the very least, I'd say it's the best Doomsday related story out there.

Pak's issues of the crossover really elevated it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You mean....aside from his relationships and history being radically altered? Before Flashpoint, John Henry Irons was the guy who assumed the mantle of Steel after Superman's death in order to honor the latter's legacy. After Flashpoint he wasn't. But now he is again.
    Yes, his history was very much different, but so was Christopher Reeve's Superman, but he was still absolutely Superman.

As manofsteel1979 pointed out, I am talking about the core of the character. Despite all the ill-advised changes New 52 made to the DCU, Superman was essentially the same man, just with a different history. There were a lot of bad stories, certainly, but I don't think any Superman fan with any perspective could read Morrison, Johns or Pak's Superman stories during the New 52 and think this was a fundamentally different Superman from the one we read about in All Star Superman or Secret Origins or most other Superman stories.