Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default First Marvel Issue

What's everyone's first Marvel comic? That one issue that made you step up and start collecting/reading?

Mine was Generation X #11(from the 90's series). I just loved this book until a storyline in the late thirties or early forties that just made me put it down. I can't even remember much of the details other than being turned off by a combination of week story and art for a couple months running. But this one, this one drew me in. I still love Chamber.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...-my-own-money/

Extraordinary Member

Marvel Zombies 4 #3.

I had only read a few X-men issues at the library before, but that was my first comic. Saw the preview for it and had to have it despite knowing very little about the characters.

Uncanny X-Men #174

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

For a Marvel comic in general it was Star Wars issue 17. For a comic set in the actual Marvel U it was Uncanny X-Men issue 166.

I think my first comic was Avengers Dissassembled tpb, turkish translation.

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_269.jpg

Had no idea what was going on, took a few issues and editor notes to help clear things up.

It was an anthology:
    Uncanny X-Men #145
    Uncanny X-Men #146
    Marvel Teap Up #90
    Marvel Two-In-One #60

special-strange-n-37-comics-marvel.jpg

I was a bit disapponted, because I thought it was going to be a Fantastic Four story. (I knew them from that terrible Hanna Barbera cartoon)
    Also Spider-Man was getting his ass kicked by Killer Shrike.
    Last edited by mugiwara; 10-11-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Incredible Member

I got a bunch of Power Pack, Dazzler, Beauty and the Beast, Dakota North and Cloak & Dagger comics at about the same time, so I'm not 100% sure which was my first Marvel. Most of them were from polybagged 3-packs from drugstores, so they were back issues.

I'm thinking this one...

And then I let my friend borrow it and he tore the cover. Never again.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Although I read many comics before then, I distinctly remember at the end of high school (12 years ago) walking into a comic shop and coming away with, among others, Punisher War Journal issues 5 and 6. I sat down in the library with a friend who was studying, and while reading them I thought, "y'know, I could do this every week."

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post

Had no idea what was going on, took a few issues and editor notes to help clear things up.
    Yeah, that was actually the first issue of X-Men I had. Thrown to the wolves.

Two issues. There was a used book store that had a spinner rack. Bundled together in a bag were

Mavel Team-Up #12
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_12
    and
    Marvel Team-Up #16
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Team-Up_Vol_1_16

I was around 6 at that point and Spidey, Jack Russell (Werewolf by Night) and Mar-Vell were my favs for years after that (and I'd love to see the Basilisk come back again too!).

A second, possibly third hand copy of a British re-print of 70's Spidey stories. Bought it from the Barras around '88 but the comic was older than that ('76-ish?).

It was printed in traditional magazine size and all in black and white. I figure the colours must have messed up in the re-sizing. I later spent months re-colouring the whole thing with pencils.

The first story was a Spidey/ Morbius story featuring Glory Grant. The middle was a Thor story (?) by Simonson and the last - the big heavy hitter - was Amazing Spidey #122.

Blew my tiny little mind.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

The only problem was we got it in a trade with a friend in the neighborhood and it was hard to find issue #40 on the newstands. Eventually we got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post

And then I let my friend borrow it and he tore the cover. Never again.
    So that's why there's no picture of a cover?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sirmarkus View Post
    What's everyone's first Marvel comic? That one issue that made you step up and start collecting/reading?

Mine was Generation X #11(from the 90's series). I just loved this book until a storyline in the late thirties or early forties that just made me put it down. I can't even remember much of the details other than being turned off by a combination of week story and art for a couple months running. But this one, this one drew me in. I still love Chamber.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/...-my-own-money/
    Hmm it was either an issue of Micronaughts, Rom or the Pirate Kitty Xmen story.