Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Peter being an "everyman" is more to the idea of the character than the character himself, a super-hero who's a struggling with money with some relatable problems, and that's where it stops, his character outside of super-heroing is basicaly a super genius, loser, who's a pussy magnet, I'm pretty sure the "everyman" is not like that lol.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Wonder what I've been reading all this time then?
    Well, you haven't been reading Spider-Man, as you've yourself admitted...

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    With Spider-Man, that ship sailed a very long time ago. Spider-Man's a lot like Batman in that various Marvel creators have felt like they could fit Spider-Man into all kinds of stories because they finds he can slip into them very comfortably. Why else would there be a number of Spider-Man stories where the wall-crawler interacts with Thanos?

JMS' run was a little more pronounced than most, but it was by no means a "genre switch" for Spider-Man.

Again, doesn't really change that I don't think internet polls are unscientific and shouldn't be used as evidence of anything beyond a discussion on the internet.
    But if the discussion is about the sense that one writer is more popular than another, it's worth looking to see if the internet polls support that view.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But if the discussion is about the sense that one writer is more popular than another, it's worth looking to see if the internet polls support that view.
    The only poll that really matters are sales.

That would suggest a different comparison, although one that would be difficult since we don't know how JMS would do in the comics market ten years after he left.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

TASM has been selling well for year with Slott on board as the lead writer, however that does not change the fact that there is an air of unpleasantness surrounding his indefinite tenure on the title.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Internet polls mean jack since you will get different results depending on the site. A pro Spider Marriage site with be more likely to have a more negative view of post One More Day stories than CBR.

That would suggest a different comparison, although one that would be difficult since we don't know how JMS would do in the comics market ten years after he left.
    Marvel is still a business. And sales are what matters in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    TASM has been selling well for year with Slott on board as the lead writer, however that does not change the fact that there is an air of unpleasantness surrounding his indefinite tenure on the title.
    I've personally grown very tired of this run and would like to see a new creative team take over. Given sales are what they are, I can tell I'm not the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    Well, you haven't been reading Spider-Man, as you've yourself admitted...
    Yeah, you're right, I've only got-forty some Spider-Man trade paperbacks on my shelf -- outnumbering everything else I've got in my entire trades collection.

I may be no Jedi, but I do know the Force, if you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    Wonder how much of that is his fault and how much of that is ours?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    Internet polls mean jack since you will get different results depending on the site. A pro Spider Marriage site with be more likely to have a more negative view of post One More Day stories than CBR.
    The Top 50 stories poll was of general CBR readers, so it's going to get a wide array of opinions, including from softer Spider-Man fans (those that might read some Spider-Man comics, but aren't going to argue about it in the forums.)

Marvel is still a business. And sales are what matters in the end.

I've personally grown very tired of this run and would like to see a new creative team take over. Given sales are what they are, I can tell I'm not the only one.
    While sales matter, it's still difficult to measure the current comics against a counterfactual (IE- what if JMS was writing the married Spider-Man now?)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

While sales matter, it's still difficult to measure the current comics against a counterfactual (IE- what if JMS was writing the married Spider-Man now?)
    Yeah, I think we forget this a lot; that we can never know for sure about what-ifs and whatnot.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, you're right, I've only got-forty some Spider-Man trade paperbacks on my shelf -- outnumbering everything else I've got in my entire trades collection.

I may be no Jedi, but I do know the Force, if you get my drift.
    No, sorry, I was just playing. :P Should have made that more clear in my post.

Anyways, I’m glad you’ve finally got more Spider-Man TPBs! I hope you started getting more 616 Spidey though, since IMO he’s way better than Ultimate. Have you got any of the Marvel Masterworks yet? JMS’s run? I know you said you have Kraven’s Last Hunt and RYV.

The Top 50 stories poll was of general CBR readers, so it's going to get a wide array of opinions, including from softer Spider-Man fans (those that might read some Spider-Man comics, but aren't going to argue about it in the forums.)
    These polls are unscientific and should only be used for fun discussions. They should not be treated as a measure of Spider-Man fans.

Would JMS have kept writing Spider-Man in this scenario? Just come on now with the marriage being reinstated?

I'm not quite sure what scenario you're arguing.

These polls are unscientific and should only be used for fun discussions. They should not be treated as a measure of Spider-Man fans.
    Seconded. We're taking this way too seriously (and in the bad way, IMHO).

Would JMS have kept writing Spider-Man in this scenario? Just come on now with the marriage being reinstated?

I should probably let Mister Mets speak for himself, but I read that statement as meaning, in effect: "It's impossible to know if an ASM series where Spider-Man never did OMD back in 2007 and was still married to Mary Jane now would've sold better than the post-OMD series we actually got." (So, if that's not what you meant, Mister Mets, I'd like to be corrected).

Personally, I think that a non-OMD ASM would not have generated the sheer amount of controversy and pushback that has and is going on and that sales would be comparable to the real ones we've got now (I'm deeply suspicious that even if OMD didn't hurt ASM as much as pro-marriage fans may think, it did not help it like the pro-OMD factions believe).

However, I can't prove that since, unlike Star Trek's Sphere Builders, we can't see how the alternative would've unfolded, meaning my theory is just baseless conjecture (and no doubt tainted by my extreme dislike of the post-OMD ASM status quo and rejection of everything it stands for).
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

It would be whatever scenario is suggested by a comparison of current sales to sales eleven years ago.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets